jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

video: jazz cafe 1992
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

JamiroFan2000
Correspondent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 21:47    Reply with quote

ophone wrote:
As I wrote on Facebook, I know these videos have historic value to us Jamiroquai fans. But I can't listen more than one minute to them, due to the still poor sound quality.
That's also the reason why I'm not so keen on bootlegs.

I can understand that, some really annoying in/out VHS skips throughout these VHS-to-DVD rips of the bootleg. BTW, here's another new video uploaded today on Julian Fontenell's YouTube Channel from his VHS copy of the gig:

Jamiroquai (Live Acid Jazz Cafe' 1992)- "Sunshine":
-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQvgD4VQ2k

Stenoquai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 03:33    Reply with quote

Well, I've asked Julian Fontenell about this rare VHS recording. Also, I've asked if he could make and share a DVD of it.

That's his answer Very Happy

Julian Fontenell wrote:
I'm friends with Nick Tydeman and Nick Van Gelder which is where I got the video. I will check with them to see if releasing the whole video will be okay.

smellbob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 09:30    Reply with quote

Simon Bartholomew who is on guitar for these recordings was an active member of the Brand New Heavies, a band which Jay himself auditioned for but did not make the band.

So interesting to see him on guitar and would like to get to the bottom of that.

But yeah this seems right before, maybe even during EOPE recordings. But excellent find and this is why the internet was invented. Smile

ophone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 17:46    Reply with quote

smellbob wrote:
Simon Bartholomew who is on guitar for these recordings was an active member of the Brand New Heavies

He still is by the way!

Javis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 20:55    Reply with quote

Now if I remember well, Jay himself said he recorded his first songs with the help of some Brand New Heavies musicians until he could put a band together.

In other hands, I also have read somewhere that Jay never auditioned for BNH and that was all a myth.

Last edited by Javis on Wed Jun 11, 2014 14:32; edited 1 time in total

iranterres

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 03:38    Reply with quote

Aside from this find... Why is this on the news section though?

Javis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 14:25    Reply with quote

because the finding is big news? XD

Stenoquai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 04:53    Reply with quote

Here's a new video upload by Julian Fontenell Arrow

Jamiroquai – TYTD [Live at the Jazz Cafe 1992]
http://youtu.be/4zuZX8gl468

Almost the whole concert is now on Julian's channel, except Intro & Rehearsal.

Vintage73

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 13:22    Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Togetherland or Sunshine are original tracks? If not, the name of the original artists please? Hooked up

JamiroFan2000
Correspondent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 17:19    Reply with quote

Vintage73 wrote:
Does anyone know if Togetherland or Sunshine are original tracks? If not, the name of the original artists please? Hooked up

I originally assumed that "Sunshine" was a cover of the Roy Ayer's classic "Everybody Loves The Sunshine". But after watching it several times, I can safely say it's an original song which meanders halfway through into what I consider an early version of the Jam classic "If I Like It, I Do It", both melodically & lyrically. As for "Togetherland", also seems like an original song, but doesn't show the 'musical earmarks' of early Jamiroquai material so most likely an unreleased song. And finally, "Jazz Carnival" is the only actual cover in this early Jamiroquai set, it's a song by the band Azymuth, which you can hear the original version of here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzSsUxla34

Trolll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 16:25    Reply with quote

Javis wrote:
Now if I remember well, Jay himself said he recorded his first songs with the help of some Brand New Heavies musicians until he could put a band together.

In other hands, I also have read somewhere that Jay never auditioned for BNH and that was all a myth.

Hi there,

Indeed, Simon (guitar) and Andrew (bass) from the Brand New Heavies helped Jay at first.
In the liners notes for EOPE, Andrew is credited on "When you gonna learn".
Simon is credited along with Glenn Nightingale for the whole album with no additional details, but (according to Nick Van Gelder) Simon actually plays on WYGL, EOPE and Whatever it is...

Now, I don't know if Jay trying to join the BNH is a myth or not, but, on the other side, Simon recently posted on Akimbo's Facebook a funny piece of information that I didn't know: "I played on 3 or 4 tracks on Emegency and did a few gigs. Jay asked me to join the band, but The Heavies was rolling..."

Wink

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 04:50    Reply with quote

@Troll -love to hear the details. Wouldn't have known BNH w/o jamiroquai.
I also read Jay didn't try out for BNH but perhaps the producer organized the meeting/collaboration of various band members (Bartholomew, Andrew, Akimbo [same label?] and then Smith & Zender).

@Vintage I would love to know if Sunshine & Togetherland were Jami originals -but could be early versions molded into new tunes.

Yes -the earliest recordings is Big News! Razz
They were sooo young!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: