jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

New Jamiroquai Video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

mr.az

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 04:28    Reply with quote

Since jay told us he want to make small movies in videos, well, just wait Cool
AFO=AUTOMATON

Javis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:27    Reply with quote

FunkyVibes wrote:
The narrative structure is unclear.

I don't think a music video needs to be analyzed as if it were a movie. It only needs to be entertaining to watch.

That being said, I would appreciate more dance scenes. After a while the hat gets repetitive

Curry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 13:08    Reply with quote

Let me take a crack at this interpretation game you guys have going here. Bear with me because I'm going to embellish some things to set the mood. Very Happy

My version of the story:

The year is 2XXX. A meteoric disaster befell the Earth, killing all humans.

Five years later, a lone robot awakens to a familiar face. After running a few motion tests, it concludes that it was itself it was seeing reflected in the pod's metal casing. The robot concludes that more observations are needed since the face reflected does not take the form of a full cybernetic, but resembles a human man. This must mean "it" was meant to be a "he." Strange though, since it understood that humans are known to be emotional, yet "he" feels nothing.

Not understanding why it was created like this, it sets off to search for answers.

As it stumbles it's way throughout the tunnels, it can see remnants of human culture. The tunnels it was walking through was known as The Underground, according to signs on the wall. This was accompanied by interesting works of art, maps, and linked transport pods known as a train.

It's body jerks a little, throwing it off balance. What was this malfunction? It happens again, but more of it. The robot...no, not a robot. You are a he...or at least you used to be.

To his surprise, the former human starts to remember what happened. He remembers...being taught things he should always do...thing's he's programmed to do.

But the people who taught him these things are gone now and the realization made his body malfunction again...

malfunction...no, no his body was perfectly fine.

He...was dancing!

And dancing...was a form of joy!

He was dancing for joy!

Was it because he was free now?

The dancing didn't stop as he found his way out of the tunnels and onto the surface. The sun gleamed upon his face as he felt the warmth spread across his body. He knew then that whatever he was, whatever he was programmed to do, that he was no longer bound to it anymore.

He can feel now. Never before had this sensation been introduced to him during his life. He welcomed it as he stood there reveling in it's glory.

He began to wonder what other things there are to experience.

The cool breeze across your skin.

The wet sensation of waves lapping over your feet.

And as he realized the feeling of evergreen needles being traced across his palm, the former man sees something he remembers during his years of programmed compliance.

Discarded affects from years past. A...crown? And...some sort of wheeled transport.

These things, though familiar, were still foggy. And as he stood there trying to piece it together, he realized he was not alone.

/Story

So for interpretation, basically it's an open-ended tale of a man who was turned into a machine for the sake of someone else's benefit. Not his own. And to feel and experience the simplest of things again signifies not only the moment he realized his heart and deepest desires are the things that really inspire him, but that he was free from the things that tried to bind him to his programming. Even so, there are still those out there who will continue to be programmed no matter how many years pass. So it's best if you simply live for yourself and what you've always wanted to do.

I know this was super long! LOL I am so sorry guys! Laughing

EDIT:

After all this writing, I totally forgot the part where he fell to Earth after life on this planet is extinguished. It sort of changes the narrative from being a former human trying to remember who he was to someone who was raised on watching others and never truly interacting, thus discovering his own desires and joys.

Last edited by Curry on Sat Jan 28, 2017 15:01; edited 1 time in total

Akghar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 13:28    Reply with quote

The power of drugs...

Jam Vibe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 14:14    Reply with quote

My interpretation is:
He, which represents every human being, received all the guidelines of "how to live" which is represented by the "programming".

As he starts to find, at some point, traces of things that are not under his guidelines, he starts to research it an thus rediscovering his own nature and joy.
This acts as a message that we need to go out of this "standardization" of thinking that we are receiving and rediscover all the little joys of life.

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 19:23    Reply with quote

Curry wrote:
Let me take a crack at this interpretation game you guys have going here. Bear with me because I'm going to embellish some things to set the mood. Very Happy

My version of the story:

The year is 2XXX. A meteoric disaster befell the Earth, killing all humans.

Five years later, a lone robot awakens to a familiar face. After running a few motion tests, it concludes that it was itself it was seeing reflected in the pod's metal casing. The robot concludes that more observations are needed since the face reflected does not take the form of a full cybernetic, but resembles a human man. This must mean "it" was meant to be a "he." Strange though, since it understood that humans are known to be emotional, yet "he" feels nothing.

Not understanding why it was created like this, it sets off to search for answers.

As it stumbles it's way throughout the tunnels, it can see remnants of human culture. The tunnels it was walking through was known as The Underground, according to signs on the wall. This was accompanied by interesting works of art, maps, and linked transport pods known as a train.

It's body jerks a little, throwing it off balance. What was this malfunction? It happens again, but more of it. The robot...no, not a robot. You are a he...or at least you used to be.

To his surprise, the former human starts to remember what happened. He remembers...being taught things he should always do...thing's he's programmed to do.

But the people who taught him these things are gone now and the realization made his body malfunction again...

malfunction...no, no his body was perfectly fine.

He...was dancing!

And dancing...was a form of joy!

He was dancing for joy!

Was it because he was free now?

The dancing didn't stop as he found his way out of the tunnels and onto the surface. The sun gleamed upon his face as he felt the warmth spread across his body. He knew then that whatever he was, whatever he was programmed to do, that he was no longer bound to it anymore.

He can feel now. Never before had this sensation been introduced to him during his life. He welcomed it as he stood there reveling in it's glory.

He began to wonder what other things there are to experience.

The cool breeze across your skin.

The wet sensation of waves lapping over your feet.

And as he realized the feeling of evergreen needles being traced across his palm, the former man sees something he remembers during his years of programmed compliance.

Discarded affects from years past. A...crown? And...some sort of wheeled transport.

These things, though familiar, were still foggy. And as he stood there trying to piece it together, he realized he was not alone.

/Story

So for interpretation, basically it's an open-ended tale of a man who was turned into a machine for the sake of someone else's benefit. Not his own. And to feel and experience the simplest of things again signifies not only the moment he realized his heart and deepest desires are the things that really inspire him, but that he was free from the things that tried to bind him to his programming. Even so, there are still those out there who will continue to be programmed no matter how many years pass. So it's best if you simply live for yourself and what you've always wanted to do.

I know this was super long! LOL I am so sorry guys! Laughing

EDIT:

After all this writing, I totally forgot the part where he fell to Earth after life on this planet is extinguished. It sort of changes the narrative from being a former human trying to remember who he was to someone who was raised on watching others and never truly interacting, thus discovering his own desires and joys.

woww love your intrerpretation Very Happy
thank you for sharing your thoughts with us
Wink

mr.az

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 21:23    Reply with quote

I think many feel emotional when jay takes the old hat and look at it.
AFO=AUTOMATON

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 21:37    Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by HoneyBee on Tue Jun 06, 2017 16:49; edited 2 times in total

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 21:51    Reply with quote

mr.az wrote:

That's a great moment indeed. The way he and the hat reacts like Wall-E "Hey I think I remember!" is very good.

mr.az

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 21:59    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
mr.az wrote:

That's a great moment indeed. The way he and the hat reacts like Wall-E "Hey I think I remember!" is very good.

That's why the video works better if u see it more times, that details is for the fans, like when jay dances in the tunnel, or when jay is watching the sun go down.(that part was more BS)
AFO=AUTOMATON

Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 01:59    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
mr.az wrote:

It almost feels like you could read this bit of the video alongside the 'discarded' hat on the cover of the greatest hits... but here it's a 'rediscovery' of that time, perhaps...?

And also with the broken moon buggy in that scene. That was the vehicle he used to 'runaway' in the past. Maybe this new Automaton era represents the destruction of that idea?

Dunno - maybe they just needed some junk for their post-apocalyptic music video Laughing

mr.az

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 02:05    Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Dye wrote:
mr.az wrote:

It almost feels like you could read this bit of the video alongside the 'discarded' hat on the cover of the greatest hits... but here it's a 'rediscovery' of that time, perhaps...?

And also with the broken moon buggy in that scene. That was the vehicle he used to 'runaway' in the past. Maybe this new Automaton era represents the destruction of that idea?

Dunno - maybe they just needed some junk for their post-apocalyptic music video Laughing

Yes, i feel like jay was watching his past-and the band past-and seeing all after walk like...we're here after all Cool

I still feel automaton in some ways is a call to many fans and non fans to remember the band.
AFO=AUTOMATON

SkillipEvolver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 19:25    Reply with quote

I like all these ideas.

Have to admit though.. I came here to as 1 questio , and it still remains after reading these great stories..

-How is a forest at the end of the video not completely wrecked by the (presumed) nuclear bomb?

Maybe I'm ignorant.. maybe trees can grow again after a nuke... Can't be bothered to think.. end of long day... Brian Cox would be ashamed of me... ... :/

Either way I very much like the interpretations you guys have come up with. -final question--- two drones (meant to be Spaceships?) Come to greet him at the end of the video. --do they have different destinations? ---and then jay walks away not wanting any of it ----has the programming taken over? Sad is that the statement?

www.youtube.com/SkillipEvolver
Www.soundcloud.com/SkillipEvolver

SkillipEvolver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 19:52    Reply with quote

Just one thing...
this is probably something that ppl will say is 'by the individual' but I think there are a few times in the track where the synth playing is not quite tight (timing wise). ---I guess this does at least show it was played live, likely not syncd / made perfect by software.

And u could even argue it's part of the human/inhuman split in this entire video, but I think it's a bit of a shame personally. I notice it every time I hear the first part of the song.

www.youtube.com/SkillipEvolver
Www.soundcloud.com/SkillipEvolver

mr.az

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 20:44    Reply with quote

SkillipEvolver wrote:
I like all these ideas.

Either way I very much like the interpretations you guys have come up with. -final question--- two drones (meant to be Spaceships?) Come to greet him at the end of the video. --do they have different destinations? ---and then jay walks away not wanting any of it ----has the programming taken over? Sad is that the statement?

Yes, good question i didn't bothered about the drones till now Shocked
AFO=AUTOMATON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: