jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

JAMIROQUAI'S INFLUENCES from 70's & 80's FUNK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians
View previous topic :: View next topic  

iranterres

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 02:07    Reply with quote

You have made a quite nice analysis funkateer...
But it also makes room for some debate. I agree with most of your choices in every song, but I noticed the lack of more jazz related influences which I see plenty in the first albums. What do you think?

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 14:01    Reply with quote

Re: The Influences of Jamiroquai from 70's & 80's Funk!
HoneyBee wrote:
Yes I agree -genres just a way to categorize. Funny that Gonna Learn's got some Hip-Hop influence Laughing and different than Stereo MCs 'Connected' in the way that MCs is heavier in beat, drums, bass, and slower, while Gonna Learn is very complex, it's lighter and faster and samples trumpet and flute as a voice. It's a much better track. The MC track is for clubs. Jamiroquai's is much more serious music with a serious message!

Even though that Hammond track would be Jazz genre, it would be played on the current R & B or Soul stations at certain times, maybe jazz had to merge to survive.

Yeah, WYGL definitely has more going on in it with all the additional flourishes added. It's neat to listen to the different mixes they put out. A lot of of the mixing of genres had to do with the increasing popularity of fusion. Like jazz funk for example.

70's Jazzfunkateer wrote:
In closing I will say one thing. Whoever it was behind those albums knows their Funk no question. Without doubt a whole lot of thought, planning and creative imagination went into those albums. Many of these artists played styles of Funk that I would have considered to be incompatible, like EWF and The Stone City Band on Planet Home or Imagination and George Duke on Canned Heat. Many of these combinations do not work on paper yet somehow they managed to find common denominators and blend all these different sounds together seamlessly. Good job.

That's it for now and as we used to say in the 70's, May The Funk be with you.

KN.

Hey, there's a few more songs you should check out that were left off the albums or not included on the UK editions:

ROTC - Space Clav, and check the stoned again version of Space Cowboy
TWM - Do U Know Where You're Coming From (USA), Bullet, + Slippin' 'n' Slidin'
Synk - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing, Getinfunky, Snooze You Lose
AFO - Do It Like We Used to Do + Everybody's Going to the Moon
Dyna - Time Won't Wait (USA)
RDLS - Smile (left off and released as a single later); I would also argue that Fast Persuader, Two Completely Different Things & Angeline (deluxe) all fall within the soul/funk/jazz parameters.

70's Jazzfunkateer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 01:19    Reply with quote

Funky Vibes.

I hear what you're saying and that's what you may have read but that’s factually not true. Acid Jazz is a vague descriptor because it doesn't exist and never did. That's why when asked nobody can say what it is. It's essentially just a name that some kids from the 90's as you put it gave to that sound. They associated the groove with acid jazz records and thought that the genre was called acid jazz and not jazz funk. Those kids were too young to have been Funksters in the 70's and 80's and unless they had a Dad like me or my Brothers for example they didn't know that what they were listening to was in fact a replay of Jazz, Funk and Soul. None of my kids or those of my associates call the Funk acid jazz.

There was no genre called acid jazz that originated in London and that comes from a Londoner who was a Jazzfunkateer more than a decade before acid Jazz records even existed. No one over say the age of say 45 would call Patrice Rushen, Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder, Donald Byrd, Roy Ayres, Earth Wind and Fire or any the 70's Jazz Funk and Soul in my post acid jazz. It's the Funk. I don't get time to listen to too much music nowadays but most of this so called acid Jazz that I hear is just regurgitated Blue Note Jazz from the 60's and 70's or Just Jazzfunk mixes labelled as acid jazz for some reason.

What the kids called hip hop beats were infact old drumbeats from James Brown and the JB's, Marva Witney, Tamla Motown. and 70's Jazzfunk. As far as the Funk was concerned nothing modernised after 1986/87. Not here or in the US. From then on It was a rehash of old sounds that we had heard before or more of the same not a modernisation. Musically the 90's was a regression. The only evolution of the groove in this country was Drum and Bass. Its mostly kids from overseas that call the Funk acid jazz. Not us Brits and especially not Soulboys and Girls of my vintage. To us acid jazz is an amusing myth so lets put it to bed here and now. We didn't invent Jazz funk over here. It came from you guys in the States.

Take Jamiroquai's When You Gonna Learn. The song was created like other hip hop tracks. Jay took a sample from Johnny Hammond and looped it. His vocal delivery is kind of a sing-talk sort of thing too

Well no not really. When You Gonna Learn is a Soul track composed just like a 1970's
Soul Track. There is no hip hop in that track at all. That was all part of 70's Funk. Hip Hop didn’t invent looping. Hip Hop was just kids in the Bronx setting up sound boxes and rapping over disco tracks back in the late 70's. It didn't break into the mainstream until late 79 with Rappers delight. Merging rifts from other acts was part of 70's Funk although it was done sparingly. Say one track on an album otherwise people would get accused of plagiarism which wasn't looked upon kindly in the 70's and the early 80's. Sampling only really became acceptable in the way that it is today in the late 80's. For example The Barkays got stick from many for sounding too much like Rick James and the Stone City band on Night Crusing, one of my Planet Home recommendations. I wasn't too fussed though because I loved the Rick James sound and thought it was great just like I love Jamiroquai's interpretation of it. All that matters is that you feel the Funk no?

Stereo MC's were not Funk. We had no connection to them.They were Pop and more connected to the House and Techno mob. They didn't have anything to do with us Jazz Funkers. I don't know anyone who bought their records.

Wygl is composed of the tracks mentioned in my post. The "talk" style is Stevie Wonders style. It was also part of 70's Funk. Take Too High for example or set me at ease by Bobbie Humphrey. Imo the track is partly inspired by Curtis Mayfield with his rant against the system on Don't worry if there’s hell down below, also done in that "talk" style, mirrored in the rant against those who pollute the Earth on wygl. That Johnny Hammond rift appeared on a few tracks in the 70's as I remember. So it was nothing new and a long time before hip hop. Here's a couple of examples for you to check out. I think the way Jamiroquai used it is more similar to the way the Sylvers used it. What do you think?

The Sylvers (Star Fire 1977)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eYugVYjAaQ

Double Exposure (My Love is Free 1976)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEf3tZmgKiQ

*Let me just add. The Ahayehey! towards the end is another one of my don't knows that I will add to the post later. It's from a female singer and she repeats that phrase over and over on the track. Till then the nearest I can think of is Ain't We Funking Now by The Brothers Johnson. There is also an element of Any Love by Chaka in the groove.

(((THOUGHTS))) are "Things" [Napoleon Hill. 1883-1970 ]

Last edited by 70's Jazzfunkateer on Sat Jun 17, 2017 01:00; edited 5 times in total

70's Jazzfunkateer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 02:04    Reply with quote

Thanks iranterres.

There is always room for debate but I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Am I missing some jazz related influences on the first album or are you looking for more Jazz related influences on the other albums? Assuming the former....

Lets go through the tracks on the first album.

When you gonna learn is Soul even though it uses the Johnny Smith Jazzfunk rift, Too young to die is Soul, Hooked up is Funk with a bit of GoGo DC from Chuck Brown and Trouble Funk. If I like it I just do it is Soul, Emergency on Planet Earth is Disco era Funk. Whatever it is I just can't stop is Funk/CosmicFunk, Blow your mind is Jazz funk or Jazz Soul, Revolution is Funk/Gospel. Diggin' out sounds like one of Miles Davis or Herbie's experiments when they were trying to find a way to evolve Jazz so I suppose you could classify it as early Proto Jazz Funk. The only straight Jazz Funk track is music of the mind.
The ending is the only "real" jazz sound and reminds me of coltrane as I mentioned above. One might interpret it as coming from Pleasure's straight ahead, or at a stretch the end of Contusion by Stevie but the groove is classic jazz including the bassline at the end.

As for other "real" Jazz influences, well I can hear some avant Jazz at the start of Hooked up. That “offkey” sound is classic 60's jazz. Eric Dolphy's Hat and Beard is one example I know. Many of these artists are or were Jazzmen like Tom Browne, Isaac Hayes, Roy Ayres, George Duke and Donald Byrd until they switched to Jazzfunk fusion. And Bands like Kool and the Gang started off playing Jazz. I will be adding to the list shortly and categorising all the different tracks in their correct styles of Funk. In the meantime feel free to offer some suggestions if I have missed something or tell me what you are looking for if anything.

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:25    Reply with quote

I hear what you're saying and that's what you may have read but that’s factually not true. Acid Jazz is a vague descriptor because it doesn't exist and never did. That's why when asked nobody can say what it is. It's essentially just a name that some kids from the 90's as you put it gave to that sound. They associated the groove with acid jazz records and thought that the genre was called acid jazz and not jazz funk. Those kids were too young to have been Funksters in the 70's and 80's and unless they had a Dad like me or my Brothers for example they didn't know that what they were listening to was in fact a replay of Jazz, Funk and Soul. None of my kids or those of my associates call the Funk
acid jazz.

There was no genre called acid jazz that originated in London and that comes from a Londoner who was a Jazzfunkateer more than a decade before acid Jazz records even existed. No one over say the age of say 45 would call Patrice Rushen, Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder, Donald Byrd, Roy Ayres, Earth Wind and Fire or any the 70's Jazz Funk and Soul in my post acid jazz. It's the Funk. I don't get time to listen to too much music nowadays but most of this so called acid Jazz that I hear is just regurgitated Blue Note Jazz from the 60's and 70's or Just Jazzfunk mixes labelled as acid jazz for some reason.

What the kids called hip hop beats were infact old drumbeats from James Brown and the JB's, Marva Witney, Tamla Motown. and 70's Jazzfunk. As far as the Funk was concerned nothing modernised after 1986/87. Not here or in the US. From then on It was a rehash of old sounds that we had heard before or more of the same not a modernisation. Musically the 90's was a regression. The only evolution of the groove in this country was Drum and Bass. Its mostly kids from overseas that call the Funk acid jazz. Not us Brits and especially not Soulboys and Girls of my vintage. To us acid jazz is an amusing myth so lets put it to bed here and now. We didn't invent Jazz funk over here. It came from you guys in the States.

Hey thanks for the detailed response!! I'm really not sure like you said about the origins of acid jazz beyond some stuff I read here and there on the net. I decided to see what the ole wikipedia says about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_jazz
Vladimir Bogdanov wrote:
Acid jazz originated in the London club scene of the mid-1980s, with DJs of the rare groove movement, who played obscure jazz records. Their main interests were in the fringe of jazz fusion, jazz funk and with lesser input from soul jazz of the 1950s and 1960s. Particularly significant were records from the Blue Note catalogue.
https://www.amazon.com/All-Music-Guide-Electronica-Definitive/dp/0879306289
wikipedia wrote:
These DJs included Gilles Peterson, who had residencies at several London clubs in the 1980s, began in his own small pirate radio station and then moved to the much larger Kiss-FM. In 1988 with producer Eddie Piller he formed the label Acid Jazz Records. The first release from the company was the compilation Totally Wired, which contained obscure jazz funk tracks from the 1970s with updated new tracks.[2] In 1990 Peterson left to found his own label Talkin' Loud at Phonogram.[7] The company signed acts such as Galliano, Young Disciples and Urban Species......
The initial mainstream success of acid jazz was followed by a large number of compilations that left the public confused as to the nature of and key performers in the genre.

As you said, it appears the term "acid jazz" was coined by some young dudes and they popularized the "genre" with the creation of a record label by the same name, which catapulted many acts associated with that term into the limelight.

I recall reading about Stuart Zender auditioning for Jamiroquai, and he went in playing some more latin inspired bass lines to which Jay insisted that they're a funk band not latin fusion or whatever. Still I think Zender brought a lot of that flavor to Jamiroquai. Shame he left.

Jazzfunkateer wrote:
funkyvibes wrote:
Take Jamiroquai's When You Gonna Learn. The song was created like other hip hop tracks. Jay took a sample from Johnny Hammond and looped it. His vocal delivery is kind of a sing-talk sort of thing too

Well no not really. When You Gonna Learn is a Soul track composed just like a 1970's Soul Track. There is no hip hop in that track at all. That was all part of 70's Funk. Hip Hop didn’t invent looping. Hip Hop was just kids in the Bronx setting up sound boxes and rapping over disco tracks back in the late 70's. It didn't break into the mainstream until late 79 with Rappers delight. Merging rifts from other acts was part of 70's Funk although it was done sparingly. Say one track on an album otherwise people would get accused of plagiarism which wasn't looked upon kindly in the 70's and the early 80's. Sampling only really became acceptable in the way that it is today in the late 80's. For example The Barkays got stick from many for sounding too much like Rick James and the Stone City band on Night Crusing, one of my Planet Home recommendations. I wasn't too fussed though because I loved the Rick James sound and thought it was great just like I love Jamiroquai's interpretation of it. All that matters is that you feel the Funk no?

Stereo MC's were not Funk. We had no connection to them. Music was still tribal back then even though the tribes were breaking up around that time. They were Pop and more connected to the House and Techno mob. They didn't have anything to do with us Jazz Funkers. I don't know anyone who bought their records.

I mentioned WYGL's connection to hip hop because I believe JK used a process similar to other hip hop artists to initially create the song. ie just him & his voice, a drum kit and old records that he could sample based on an old interview I read, which I can't seem to find. (I could be off tho Wink )

I do know he created a demo for WYGL before any of the bandmates in Jamiroquai were on board. I could only find this bit, however I remember reading more details about the band's conception in a different interview transcript:
Toby Smith wrote:
Then I met Jay, Jamiroquai front man. We were at a mutual mate’s house and Jay played a demo, then and there he put on a tape of what was ‘When You Gonna Learn’ (Emergency on Planet Earth, 1993), which he’d been working on – which was the first single. His direction was one that I had been naturally going myself – which was lots of minor 9 chords, kinda funky, melodic based thing.

https://prezi.com/udizwe_z_ipw/jamiroquai/
I don't think Stereo MCs are funk. I mean the way their tracks are arranged reminds me of WYGL and how it was conceptualized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8yJeDVn1ws&t=2214s
^ Seems to me like they take in influence from other genres just with the emphasis on hip hop instead of funk.

Interestingly, Toby Smith, wasn't very familiar with funk before he joined Jamiroquai.
Toby Smith wrote:
We're definitely not a part of the Britpop thing," assures Toby Smith, keyboard player and one half of the Jamiroquai writing partnership. "We do pretty much American black music. All the artists we listen to are black Americans: Roy Ayres, Herbie Hancock, Marvin Gaye, Donald Byrd, that sort of genre. I was late into this stuff, though -- I'm 26 now and I met Jay when I was 22. I hadn't really ever been into that music up until then. It was all house and then before that I was into rock -- David Bowie, Hendrix and stuff. So when I started writing with Jay I was right in at the deep end, but it was good in a way because I wasn't saturated in that type of music so it gave a different angle.

But, imo, I always felt WYGL had some kind of hop hop influence... it just sounds kind of stiff to me, like it wasn't organically created from the ground up with a group of musicians. Jay Kay himself said in an interview, "I was influenced by hip hop, graffiti, breaking, and the street culture that went with it." Another article mentions before WYGL, "However, as a former breakdancer, [Jay Kay] had already recorded in a hip-hop style, releasing a single with a sampler and a drum machine for Morgan Khan's Streetsounds label in 1986. I believe "Natural Energy"may be the track referred to in that article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAfB7e2IxI To me that song sounds very simple, like it has looped piano & possibly looped drums with just his voice, harmonica, the horn & some additional keyboard atmosphere.

Jazzfunkateer wrote:
Wygl is composed of the tracks mentioned in my post. The "talk" style is Stevie Wonders style. It was also part of 70's Funk. Take Too High for example or set me at ease by Bobbie Humphrey. Imo the track is partly inspired by Curtis Mayfield with his rant against the system on Don't worry if there’s hell down below, also done in that "talk" style, mirrored in the rant against those who pollute the Earth on wygl. That Johnny Hammond rift appeared on a few tracks in the 70's as I remember. So it was nothing new and a long time before hip hop. Here's a couple of examples for you to check out. I think the way Jamiroquai used it is more similar to the way the Sylvers used it. What do you think?

I don't know if you're aware of WYGL's direct inspiration from Johnny Hammond's LCC song:
wikipedia wrote:
The chord progressions of the song bear a striking resemblance to the chord progressions of a Johnny "Hammond" Smith's track called "Los Conquistadores Chocolatés", taken from his 1975 album Gears. The booklet of the Acid Jazz Records release of the single bears a "special thanks" note to Smith, who gave permission to Kay to use the composition's structure. It is unknown whether Hammond received any royalties. The chord progressions of the Cantè Hondo Mix of the song bear even more resemblance to "Los Conquistadores Chocolatés". The Cantè Hondo Mixes also uses the wind sound effect from Hammond's song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_You_Gonna_Learn

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 17:34    Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
I think my head is gonna explode from Funkateer! I love how you've detailed songs with references of influences, and given a history on genres! I hope you don't think I'm disagreeing with you -I am only giving my thoughts. I probably don't know half the music you're referencing Laughing The Bar-Kays are not under my radar (except Freak Show!)

Jazz is not only a music genre style featuring brass instruments, it was also an era and movement (fashion/ideology) in America. So it may have a more broad reference here. Funk is more of a music genre, yes with a strong backbeat and drums. I actually would love to learn more of what is considered Jazz today.

Whether it feels like Jazz or Funk, I'm sure we agree on the differences. And well, I was taught most modern genres stem or evolve from Blues.

WYGL is a complex song, with orchestra instruments, brass instruments, and a Soul voice, (btw that talking style is evident in Frank Sinatra, but we'd never compare J to that?!) but the beat is strong with a funky vibe, too much for Soul but not enough for Hip-Hop. How do you label?! That's the problem, it isn't only Jazz, or Funk, or Soul. It's a merge.

I think Funkyvibes was saying WYGL may've been put together a bit like HipHop, but nobody would label it as HipHop.

Funkateer -Totally agree on your Rap beginning, throwing Disco in there! And as HipHop evolved, the sampling became more known and referenced. Giving the sample credit is probably most important today knowing lawsuits were won, even if you sound like another artist (Blurred Lines).

And I believe it was Marvin Gaye that invented looping of his own tracks, or at least overlaying tracks.

Funkyvibes quote
Quote:
But, imo, I always felt WYGL had some kind of hop hop influence... it just sounds kind of stiff to me, like it wasn't organically created from the ground up with a group of musicians.

WYGL may have some Hiphop influence. I think HipHop is a spinoff just as many genres are linked (Blues-Rock-Funk-Hip-Hop) & (Motown-Soul-R&B). I think you were just using Stereo MC as an example not saying they were the same. I know that tune from the day. Much heavier sound, which is typical of American music. So perhaps that acid Jazz, jazz genre is much lighter on the toes!

Here is a great new artist: Yuna is she Soul? R&B? Pop? Jazz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WEyYfMm-Q

I am not in London. I don't know their culture. But I do know my region's history. I know what's on my radio. And I love coming here to read other people's information! Very Happy

70's Jazzfunkateer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 04:44    Reply with quote

FUNK UPDATES
Wikipedia is not a credible source of information. Treat everything you read on their with a pinch of salt. I took a quick look at the page and it's written by a youngster from the 90's who thinks jazzfunk is called acid jazz!. The talk page is far more interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Acid_jazz

This is the original Soulhead movement of the late 70's and early 80's. We were the creators.The acid jazz generation were our kids. This is the London of my teens and 20's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRC8VWPLW2s

There is no genre called acid Jazz. Funk is a musical genre from the US, Jazz is a musical genre from the US. Soul is a musical genre from the US, Acid Jazz is a record company from London who's band's play Jazz Funk and Soul like Jamiroquai. I come from London. I've been here on and off since 1974. I was here when Jazz Funk died out in the mid 70's, I was here in the Disco era and I was here when Jazzfunk came back in the 90's. I think I might have noticed if we had invented a brand new musical genre other Than Drum and Bass or Dubstep! We were the people who started the 70's Funk revival in London when we got fed up with Electro Funk in the mid 80's. It was us 70's Funksters that lent out our vinyl to the 80's youngsters for their parties as it was near impossible to get hold of 70's vinyl. That's why it was called "Rare" Groove. What people often say to kids who claim acid jazz is a musical genre is name one track that is acid
jazz and not jazz funk and Soul......

All my replies will be detailed. This post is about Soul Education for those who seek it from a Soulman and not much else. Lots of musicians, DJ's, singers, Moms and kids come to this site from all over the World looking for info on Jamiroquai. So if they click on a post like this I’m sure you'll agree they will be expecting to learn something. My detailed replies might help facilitate that as much as my recommendations might help them expand their musical knowledge. No ones head need to explode. This post isn't about you or even me. It's to pass on knowledge and spread the Love Energy that is the Funk! It's needed right now on Planet Home don't you think?

On to my review....

Slipping and Sliding

Sounds like Stevie Wonders (I Wish). It’s Stevie meets Roy Ayres. The Intro is (Weststchester lady) by Bob James. Geraldine Hunt's (It Doesn't only happen at night) Is a similar groove. The bassline reminds me a bit of Earth Wind and Fire's (Speed of love)...but not at that speed. That was in the 80's this is done 70's style. Again the horns remind me of Roy Ayres. The ending reminds me of a track I think was called Not too late, or Now its not too late. It might have been sung by a band called Coffee who gave us a groove called (Cassanova) or Possibly TS.Monk who gave us (Bon Vie) meaning good life. His Dad was a famous Jazzman.
Gap Band (Shake) and T-Connection (Everything is cool) are two recommendations. And also Cameo's (enjoy your life) which is already listed.

Some UK Producers like Stock Aitken and Waterman were doing retro 70's stuff like this in the late 80s so it may well have an 80's Element to it. (Roadblock) for example but this is a 70's groove.

Bullet

A 70's track which sounds like the 80's because of the scratching. The Intro is very familiar but I can't pin it down. I don’t have the Parliament discography but they did stuff like it or the Pfunk all stars. There is an Instrumental track from the early 80's which sounds very similar. It had a brown record label and had a repeating rift similar to Twilight my recommendation for Destitute Illusions. The Intro also Sounds like Roy Ayres (You and me my love) Check out the intro to Marva Witney's (it's my thing). Roy Ayres/Pleasure horns and keyboards all over this one.
A bit of Johnny the Hammond Smith’s (can't we smile) keyboards as well. I can hear the Brothers Johnson Horn section from (Tokyo). Then the groove settles into (Inner city Blues) by Marvin Gaye.

Getting Funky

This is based on (Atomic Dog) by George Clinton with elements of (More bounce to the ounce) by Zapp. This is very early 80’s another style of Synth Funk. This was the Hardcore stuff. Softcore
Synth Funk was Change (Give me Back all my Love) or the SOS Bands (Just the way you like it) for example. It was just like in the 70’s when you had softcore bands like CHIC! and Hardcore bands like Parliament Funkadelic. This was where modern Hip Hop started with (The Message) by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5. It Should have been on the album instead of Supersonic. It fits perfectly into the timescale of Synkronised.

Smile.

Nice! This is Minnie Ripperton to some degree. Sounds like (Here we go). I don't know much of her stuff but this one was played a bit on the radio like her famous track (lovin’ you) If you've never heard it check it out and see how high her voice can go. She had a pretty psychedelic sound. Ashford and Simpson wrote this type of stuff for the likes of Diana Ross and others. The rest is familiar especially the way it's sung. It might have something to do with the Hubert and Deborah Laws . The intro sounds like Hubert Laws (Family). It could be Brother Ronnie on the horns. The other suspect is Chaka again because of that ever re-appearing rift from Any love @3.34 is on this track in the intro. Little Michael Jackson might have sung it. I Don’t really know.

Do it like we used to

Main vein II. On this one we're back in 1971/72 again. It's pretty vague. Sounds like stuff they might have left off of Funk Odyssey. It's the usual suspects here. Isaac Hayes, BT Express, Barkays, Rose Royce, The Jackson 5. It's 1970’s movie stuff. Something of Sly Stone somewhere maybe. So many people were doing this type of back then.

Two Different Things

Sounds a bit like (Buttercup) by Carl Anderson. The of rest sounds a bit like Omar Lye Fook. He was probably the closest we ever got in the UK to the one man genius like Herbie or Roy Ayres. His sound will excite many Jamiroquai fans who don't know him. Then its more 7 days in June or Stevie in other words. (This is Not a love song) was a great track by By Omar. He was so good he got the call from Stevie. They did a track together called (Feeling You).

Time won't won't wait.

The Intro is Rose Royce I think. It was the theme tune for a radio show years ago
played before the top 100 countdown (dj Peter Young). After that it's back to Love fool and Roy Ayres again but slightly darker. Sounds like another Funk Odyssey track. As for the rest It has the feel of Gamble and Huff say like (Boogie ogie oogie) by Taste of Honey so it could be those girls. Or maybe the Dexter Wansell's sound like the Jones Girls who did (Nights over Egypt). Might be Donna Summer she's the originator of the “oooh!” Check (Spring Affair). The singing style reminds me of Gloria Gaynor for some reason. She covered the Jacksons (Never can say goodbye). The Bassline? El Coco (Cocomotion) is the only other recommendation I can give at present.

Time won't wait isn't a Quincy Jones sound but Quincy did that darker sound to perfection.
Check out the songs he did with Patti Austin (Turn on the action), (Razzamatazz) and (Betcha wouldn't hurt me). This is the era Time won't wait would have appeared in.

The Gap Band (Baby Baba Boogie) for some more of that guitar sound.

Snooze you Loose

Reggae. The lyrics are sung in the style of Third World. They were a Reggae band of the era but they could do the Funk as well. They did a nice track with Stevie called (try Jah love). It might come from that period. I don’t think it will be before their 96 degrees album.I Don’t know about the other bit. Maybe Bad Lady by the Stone city band. Right at the very end there is a sound from the end of a Brothers Johnson track (I want you) On the Winners Album. [“all the things in life may be around”...]

RDLS

On release I didn't pay too much attention to RDLS after I skimmed through the tracks and realised it wasn't the Funk I never went back to it. Listening to some of your recommendations I Think I finally get it. This is reminiscent of Ultravox, New Order, Howard Johnson, Gary Numan, Flock of Seagulls, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode and similar. These were some of the pop bands in the UK and US during the 80's who played borderline Soul fused with Rock and Pop. It appears on the face of it they were reconstructing the New Romantic sound in a similar way to how they reconstructed the sound of 70's Funk. Now if they did it using the same process that they did with the earlier albums then that means the originators of those sounds are out there somewhere. The only thing is because I never touched the stuff I can't tell you where any of the grooves may have come from but I think I now know the correct direction to point people in. So fans of RDLS need to do some homework starting with New Order and Gary Numan. I’m sure the recommendations will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NFosnfd2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIKAv_2LEm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMAz9jofm_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9j77Ywm1tE

She's a Fast Persuader

Love it. Don't know, but it's very good. Has an 80's British pop feel to it but Soulful harmonies as well. Thomas Dolby and Howard Johnson used to do this type of Groove. (Not the American Howard Johnson). Interestingly I can hear the keyboard sound of 10 cc's Dreadlock holidays somewhere in the background. Sting formerly of the Police who used to play Reggae/Rock/Pop and Soul could also have done this groove. I would say fans of this track should check out Howard Johnson’s sound.

This is the Howard Johnson I mean. I actually bought the 7” single of this reggae type track because of the harmonies. I thought some of his stuff was pretty good. I don’t know his albums but he did a few nice pop/funk/rock tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqF1P8Khnmw

Everybody's going to the moon.

Funk, Synth Pop and Space Disco. The Funk is the intro of (Light up the night) by the Brothers Johnson looped. The disco is possibly Cerrone's (Supernature). Overall it's produced like
early 80's Electro Pop or watered down 70's Space Disco. Gary Newman perhaps but I don't know this sound that well.

Check out Stanley Clarke's (Space Runner)

Wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Nice. Love the Synth. Vaguely Familiar from the early 80's say 82-85 though I could be wrong. Aurra's (Such a Feeling) meets (Dominoes) by Donald Byrd but all sped up. Like the Congas bordering on Go Go Dc again Trouble Funk (Pump me up) or straight Hip hop congas (Apache) by the Sugarhill gang. A tiny touch of the intro to Yarborough and peoples (Don't stop the music).
I Recommend The Gap Band (You dropped a bomb on me), (Party Train) And (Burn Rubber on me ) for some early 80's pumping Synth Funk. Imagine what it was like being in the disco with this pumping out so loud that it went straight through your chest and out the other side! That's the best I can do for now the other stuff might come to me later.

More FUNK Influences and Recommendations as promised.

To Young to Die

Forgot to add (Eddie You should know Better) by Curtis Mayfield. It’s one of the elements of tytd. A groove from Loose Ends (A Little Spice) appears towards the end
of one of the versions.

Emergency on Planet Earth.

The Isley Brothers (Go all the way) was one of the other songs I thought of when I first heard it. That ear splitting lead guitar at the start reminds me of Pleasure's (Ghettos of the mind).

Planet Home

Forgot to add the origin of the ringing tone. Rick James and his band were always ringing.
Rick James (Call me up) and (Telephone) Stone City Band. There is an element of Funkadelic somewhere in the song. That deep rasping moog synth on (Knee deep) and the tinkering drum clatter on (One Nation under a groove) are other recommendations for Planet Home.

Towards the end there is a feeling of (Night to Remember) by Shalamar.

Canned Heat

Geoffrey Osbourne's (Holding on). Just say dance! before the trumpet comes in. It might be slightly closer to (We got the Funk) or (Shine on) by George Duke in terms of the unerlying bassline. I can pick out the keybord on (Big Fun) by Kool and the Gang in the background as well. Upside Down by CHIC/Diana Ross and ( Heartache no9 The lounge version ) by Delegation are a must for fans of the Disco violin.

Light Years

(Winners) by Kleer has that dramatic funk groove and so does (Standing on the Top) by
Rick James and the Temptations. (Chillin) by Slave should be here as well opposed to Feels Just like it should. I only put it there as another example of late 80's Synth Funk.

Space Cowboy

A bit of Bass slap for you.

(Mista Kool) by the Brothers Johnson
One Way (I didn't mean to break your heart)
The Mary Jane Girls (Boys & Are you gonna proove it)
Aurra (Make up your mind)

Mary Jane girls were another one of the bands Rick James created and produced.

Deeper Underground

The Isley Brothers (Climbing up the ladder) This was actually the first track I thought of when I heard Deeper underground.

Black crow

listening to it again I remembered a track from the original UK soul boys The Beatles
called Blackbird. Its not Funk obviously, more of a Folk song but it may have helped inspire Black crow. listen to the lyrics. The Brothers Johnson (Strawberry Letter 23) might also be of interest. It's a different groove, slightly faster but the female vocals are similar and has the same atmosphere. By the end it Georges guitar solo will move you.

Where do we go from here.

Starvue (You and Me) for fans of the first part. Then (Funkin Around) by Bloodstone. You might be able to fit the chorus into the part where Skyy hand over to Confunkshun's horn section. @ “You know baby...”
There is another track with a similar feel which might be by the Whispers. Fans of the last few second should check out the ending of Candy Bowman's (I Wanna Feel Your Love) or (Slide) by Slave.

Hooked Up

That chugging groove in the background sounds like Pleasures (Can't turn you loose)[just before the horns kick in].

You are my love

This groove has an element of (Always there) by Ronnie Laws. There are lots of versions but Jeff Lorber's might be closest. Jeff Lorber (Always There).

Two more recommendations. A different groove but for fans of the guitar intro.

ConFunkShun (When The Feeling's Right)

L.T.D's (Don't Cha Know)

“You know I got my Soul Education”.

The first time you heard those words you also heard the sound of the Clavinet.
Listen to Billy Preston's (Outa Space) He was the master of that sound.

You give me something

Two more versions of that popular 70's Funk bassline Jamioroquai love.
Isley Brothers (The winner takes all)
Unlimited Touch (I hear music in the streets).....and you will get down.

Enjoy. May the Funk be with you.

Last edited by 70's Jazzfunkateer on Thu Jan 19, 2017 09:33; edited 7 times in total

70's Jazzfunkateer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 05:36    Reply with quote

Just time for one quick reply

@Honeybee.

Yuna is Funk. Late 80's early 90's About 1984 to 1993 Jimmy Jam Terry Lewis type production. This style of production carried on into the early 90's when they started to called it Neo Soul. Check out some of the 90's Neo Soul girl bands at the time of Jodeci like SWV or Janet Jackson in the late 80's and early 90's.

Here's a few examples from the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ngGLzd6fI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEbDN49bYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S00JkAwSlCg

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 03:08    Reply with quote

Yuna to me is Soul with a funky vibe, too mellow to call her Funk, but maybe Neo Soul Smile
Jimmy Jam productions are the watered down music which to me seems like the R&B/Funk which mainstreams to Pop! Even Michael Jackson -Pop (except Off the Wall). Maybe you call these Neo Soul, Jodeci balladeer, Janet Jackson-Pop, Stephanie Mills -groovy Soul, S.O.S. -funky Soul, Loose Ends -pop, funky Soul you can call that Neo Soul, Most of this music to me is mellow and although somewhat funky, I feel they could be on the mellow evening radio (which all played when I was young). It's drum machine over-produced music from the era, not "organic" funk which has drums and big deep beats and "makes you want to get down"

This is Funk to me, and one of my favorite videos!
The Gap Band! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aobIboK_z34
The Commodores https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU&index=3&list=RDOB4JDJiet5M
Ohio Players https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR9CRxY9Ne0
I think Rick James is Funk, which is deep beat and funky to dance to. It also has a cheeky feel to it to feel like Funk, and of course Parliament https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSERB93GYfw. It's a Deep groove, slow like
Rufus' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB4JDJiet5M&list=RDOB4JDJiet5M
which is almost too much! Laughing
I only write this because I laugh what from across the pond call Funk. Being funky, is not the same as Funk to me, it has different perameters, such as the lyrics. I think I'm just saying I wouldn't label the genre as funk..

we should enjoy the music, especially when a Funk/Funky song comes our way!! Wink

Last edited by HoneyBee on Thu Jan 12, 2017 23:20; edited 1 time in total

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 04:07    Reply with quote

Two Different Things

Sounds a bit like (Buttercup) by Carl Anderson. The of rest sounds a bit like Omar Lye Fook. He was probably the closest we ever got in the UK to the one man genius like Herbie or Roy Ayres. His sound will excite many Jamiroquai fans who don't know him. Then its more 7 days in June or Stevie in other words. (This is Not a love song) was a great track by By Omar. He was so good he got the call from Stevie. They did a track together called (Feeling You).

Hey thank you so much for reviewing these other songs! And I completely agree with you on Omar. He's a living soul legend in my opinion. The man is musically gifted. The only thing that rubs me is his need to include guest rappers on his tracks when I don't think they typically add anything.

This Is Not A Love Song is my favorite album by Omar followed by For Pleasure and Best by Far. His latest albums, Sing & The Man are ok. He's got a new album dropping this year.

Also I'm curious if you venture into other country's interpretations of soul/funk/jazz music. Have you heard of J.A.R. ? I love their album 'Nervak' which has a lot of great tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oq04M4bJ5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTMedIbvyY&list=PL5929437783E1D035

I like a lot of Japan's stuff from the 70s/80s:
Taeko Ohnuki - 4:00 AM (mignonne)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YixAD9GIAuY

Mai Yamane - Tasogare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhCDK_pSjnk

Himiko Kikuchi - Don't be stupid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4WcHNjjV0

Yuji Ohno - Golden Dog OST (sounds like SHAFT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-9yJudRMYU

Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffaloes - Get Up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOWAyUsTDz8

Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media - Funky Stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxxVkSd0XA

Other countries:
Jan Akkerman - S/T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MOwliNCAaw

Los Amigos Invisibles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIjpr-Pvn5M

70's Jazzfunkateer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 19:22    Reply with quote

@ Honeybee

"70's Jazzfunkateer oh my gosh there's almost too much to respond to here! Yes you think deeply about the music and where it comes from!".....

Well a question deserves an answer. At the top of the page I said that this is for those who don't remember or weren't born in the 70's and 80's. I think you fall into that category.

"Funk to me seems different than Europeans think of funk"

To which I would reply that you don't know much about Europe and have never been here! Since when have the Insular Brits been anything like or described themselves as Europeans? We're still celebrating Brexit lol. In the 70's and 80's there were underground Funk movements all over Europe. In Belgium, Holland, Italy, and West Germany as it was then. After the Disco sucks campaign in the US, bands came to Europe to make money. As Nile Rogers of CHIC said, "Disco sucks shut us down" in the US. Are you aware that London was the driving force behind Funk in the 80's? Bands spent more time over here than they did in the US. Many recorded their albums over here in the 80's. Nile Rogers was here working with Bowie, Duran Duran and Madonna, EWF produced Level 42 and played on Phil Collins albums. London was the place to be. Even Public Enemy recorded albums over here. Westwood played a massive part in promoting early hip hop. He kept going when everyone went off the sound in the mid 80's. We were not some backwater in London we were one of the capital cities of Funk if not theee capital city.

"I don't think of Jamiroquai as "Funk", but more of a funky vibe morphed into perhaps jazz, techno, and pop. Maybe that's where the Jazz Funk is found. I never heard DJs refer to Jamiroquai as Acid Jazz but that's what they're labelled as"

Funk has always been an umbrella term for "the groove". We’ve always called it the Funk. In the 60's,70's and 80's Jazz funk and Soul was called the Funk both in America and in the UK. In the 80's we didn't use the word Synth Funk we just called it Funk or the Funk. In the mid 80's some kids started to call it rare groove and in the late 80's some kids called it new jack swing. From your 1990's standpoint you referred to it as acid jazz but to us is always "The Funk". I didn't say Jamiroquai were pure Funk. Pure Funk is Raw. Pure Funk is the Godfather James Brown. Jamiroquai play across the board they are more Rose Royce/One Way than Cameo/Brass Construction.

"Jazz is not only a music genre style featuring brass instruments, it was also an era and movement (fashion/ideology) in America. So it may have a more broad reference here"

Lol I grew up in the 60's and was surrounded by Jazz. My Dad was a Jazzman and it's all he ever played at home and in his car. All the greats played in London during the 50's and the swinging 60's. We had and still have big Jazz movements and Jazz Clubs like Ronnie Scott’s which is world famous. The UK is no stranger to Jazz. There was a
massive Jazz underground in the 80s (No, nobody called it acid!) and a Latin one as well.

"Jimmy Jam productions are the watered down music which to me seems like the R&B/Funk which mainstreams to Pop! Even Michael Jackson -Pop (except Off the wall..

Not so. There was nothing watered down about 80's Jam and Lewis. I knew them when they were with Prince and the Time. There is nothing watered down about (Change of Heart) by Change or (Just be good to me) by the S.O.S band for example. Its full on hard pumping 80's Synth Funk which followed on from Yarborough and peoples (Don't stop the music.) What happened was this. In 1984 the sound slowed right down starting with (Magic Touch) by Rose Royce. Mtume's (You he and me) was one of the slowest I remember. Tawatha had an incredible voice. (Thigh Ride) is one of my favourites. Then it was Cameo that changed the sound.There were just 3 of them left by then. [EDIT. We had a big hand in the change of sound also. (Tell me what you want) by Loose Ends came earlier (84) and had a profound effect on American audiences. It had the raw Brit Funk groove and sounded different to the Synth Funk that dominated the scene at the time. It went straight to number one in the American charts. Junior Giscombe started the Brit Funk invasion of the 80's but Loose Ends was where we began to take over.]

Loose Ends (Tell me what you want) The Brit Funk domination begins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXPvsXXxfI

After that every one started using it including Jam and Lewis starting with the sands of time album. Listen to the drumbeat on (The Finest) and (Nothing but the best). They did the same for Janet Jackson, listen to the drumbeat on (What have you done for me lately.) That is when the sound began to get watered down and kids began to call it new jack swing here and in the States. Production values picked up again in the early 90's. If you call it pop that’s because it has become popular now. It isn’t Pop. Back then it was R&B ie The Funk. Michael Jackson was never Pop MJ and his Brothers were Funk R&B. Ever since their Motown Days. After the Bad album was when MJ began to get slightly commercial. Thriller was a Soul album not Pop. (Beat it) was the rock track but everyone did a rock track like EWF's (Changing times) Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton pop !? That Yuna track is a mid 1980's groove from the era I have already outlined and it's the sound any 80's Funkster who knew the SOS band, CHANGE or
BB & Q back then would associate with Jam and Lewis. The production values are more early 90's. The only difference is that you would not have heard the violin in the mid 80's. It was considered old fashion, "too 1970's". You don't really get the violin back in Funk until Soul To Soul's Back to life in 1989.

"I only write this because I laugh what from across the pond call Funk. Being funky, is not the same as Funk to me, it has different parameters, such as the lyrics. I think I'm just saying I wouldn't label the genre as funk.." But I'd say overall Jamiroquai has always been morphed from several genres, ranging from Funk, Acid Jazz, Pop, Rock, &Electronic....

Well I don't, but I'm sure there are many over here who laugh when we hear Jamiroquai being referred to as "acid jazz" by Americans who don't recognise their own jazz, funk and soul from the 70's! I think we know what the Funk is over here. as it said on that film I recommended we were way ahead of the Americans in the 80's.British Soulboys were known for being the most knowledgeable of all Funksters.Anyone In that crowd in the Goldmine would know and could probably write down all the bands on my post easily. I'm small fry compared to some of the kids i used to know, You admit that yourself that you don't know half of them. I’m actually a hardcore Funkster. I have far more Rick James, Cameo, T-Connection and Gap Band Vinyl than I do CHIC or Delegation. I’ve seen Cameo, Slave, Brass Construction, P Funk all Stars, Bootsy, you name em, on stage. We even had a GO GO movement in mid 80's London. When I had a youtube channel years ago the biggest Funk channels with the exception of Slade were all British; Auntie Soul, JFSR, FunkNation, MR GROOVE, Ms Charlie Brown, Neo Funky man, BTaylor etc.
I don't think anyone is worried about being laughed at! I think these reccomendations
will stand scrutiny from any American who was actually alive in the 70's!

Funk does not mean dirty or sexual! That sounds like something one might read on wikipedia or a phrase you have heard older people use on the internet. Just take two of my recommendations for example. On (Dit Dit Dit Dash) The SOS Band say “This sort of Funk is something new” and Positive Force say (“we got the Funk). Neither of those songs are dirty and sexual. They are just disco era Funk. We have always called it Funk or the Funk. Jamiroquai's 5th album is called Funk odyessy but what’s dirty and sexual on that album? There’s not much in the way of James Brown, Parliament or Cameo on it! Funk was a catch all phrase.."The" Funk. "The" Groove. A dirty Bassline is Lakeside (Fantastic Voyage), Vernon Burch (Do It to Me), Cameo (I just want to be).
I don't need a dirty bassline explained to me. I was there.

The words Funk and Soul were interchangeable. We would say "The Funk" or "The Groove". We didn't listen to it we "felt it" or "experienced it" We would say I need to "experience" the Funk, or I gotta "feel" that track again. There were many many conventions and you had to have been there to understand them all. Like understanding the "funkalisious" Comic funk lingo of Clinton/Funkadelic/Funkenstein/Parliament Or writing the word CHIC! in capitals letters as that was the way it was supposed to be spelt. We didn't go to a Funk club we went to a Soul Club. We were Soul boys not Funk Boys or Jazzfunk boys. I can always tell a 70's Funkster by the way they describe the groove. You can't fake being there too much happened. It was like a religion to Us. 40 years on I still speak of the Funk with reverence. The energy was indescribable. No 70's
or 80's Funkster uses the word "acid", Thats 90''s kids. Or at least those without Funk education.

Brits are well travelled and I'm no stranger to America. I've been coming there since the early 1970's. London and New York were joined at the hip musically speaking the 50's, 60's,70's and 80's. The split didn’t come until the early 90's when America went off into rap and Neo Soul. In the UK we went back to 70's Funk like The Pasedenas, Soul to Soul and then later on Jamiroquai. Some joined the House movement, the ragga crew moved onto D&B and the remaining Soulheads moved onto Jungle. You would have grown up after the split so you don't remember when the US and UK were one.

1970's Funksters in the US remember seeing The Average White Band, David Bowie and Elton John on Soul-train. Cymande, Hot Chocolate, and Osibisa were all big in the US. They were the equals of Mandrill.
You would most certainly remember The Bee Gees and know who Rod Temperton was. 1980's Funkster watching Soultrain in the US would remember all those British accent's on Soul train during that decade and wouldn't call us a separate entity. You would remember the Brit-Funk Invasion towards the end of the 80's when British Soul was dominant in the US. Sade was on television endlessly in America. Five Star who were the UK's answer to the Sylvers or the Jacksons were well known in the US. Film star Eddie Murphy even dated one of the girls I think. Billy Ocean was one of the biggest Stars in the USA and sang on the Film Romancing the Stone feat Michael Douglas & Kathleen Turner. (Caribbean Queen) and (When the going gets tough) were major hits In America. Even Peter Griffin knows "Suddenly"!
London’s Soul to Soul were about the biggest act in the Funk world during the late 80's. So much so that in the first episode of Fresh Prince, Will Smith is singing Back to Life by Soul to Soul! They come from Camden. 52nd ST (Tell me how it feels) and (Love so fine) by Sahara, Maxi Priest (Close to You) are legendary British grooves to old school US Funksters. The UK is musically far more important than you realise. Jamiroquai didn't come from a vacuum, they came at the end of the Brit Funk years and they came about because bands like this blazed the trail in the 60's, 70's and 80's..

Fresh Prince Season 1, episode 1 (singing back to life by Soul to Soul)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGkZXYrAAys

Soul to Soul- Back to Life 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB54dZkzZOY

Maxi Priest- Close To You (1990)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN25cGQUPRI

We even had British Soul in the Motown era!

Kenny Lynch - "Crazy Crazes (1963)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTloZAPlWWc

The Foundations - Now That I've Found You (1967)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzBGdGpdy3M

Average White Band on Soul Train (1975)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmfLQaWbwfY

David Bowie on Soul Train- 1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3etldXtTU

Delegation - You and I 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyX0wSWxoPI

Linx -You’re lying 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tHbx2ZVxcA

Junior - Mama Used To Say-1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdVXrqeG2VM

Central Line Walking into sunshine 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6MYu_eyis

Level 42 Chinese Way- 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xfGwrNIfD4

Shakatak- Down on the street 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQU9kEBWAXU

The Cool Notes on British Soul train 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnxA8DkBCoc

Five Star on US Soul Train-1986

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsWn1rHeMKs

BIlly Ocean on US soultrain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHqi4V6VClc

Billy Ocean when the going gets tough (Film score)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIxUKbV0UEM

The commodores featuring JD NIcholas from Heatwave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxqbZynTI-c

Loose Ends- On Soul Train-1986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFyn4NU1hmI

Rick James was my favourite artist, I remember the Gap band before they went super synth Funk Chaka is a Legend but she was one of literally hundreds of 70's Soul Divas. Grace Jones could go lower, Minni Ripperton could go higher and many singers could match her power, Rufus weren't even close to being the Funkiest band of the 70's. The sound on (Tell me something good) was copied from Stevie Wonder, The Meters and Mandrilll. Kool and the Gang and Earth Wind and Fire of the early 70's and many more were far funkier. Rufus weren’t the innovators or anything special they were just one of many many good groups.

So that’s a bit of Soul Education that hopefully answers a few of your questions and comments. However this post was really designed to bring the Funk and not really to get involved in the minutia of how Funk is created. I should have spent this time adding new tracks for Funksters to groove to. I know how all these sounds were created and what they were based on so think it would be better if from now on if I let my recommendations do the talking for me. Then based on my de-construction and re-expansion of Jamiroquai Albums, the readers of my post can make up their own minds. Otherwise we won't get anywhere. The list is not completed yet There are plenty more tracks to add.

Last edited by 70's Jazzfunkateer on Sat Jun 17, 2017 01:21; edited 15 times in total

70's Jazzfunkateer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 19:25    Reply with quote

@ Funky Vibes

Well Omar was lucky his Dad had a record Label so he was able to come through. There were lots of talented Guys like him in London but getting a record contract was almost impossible unless you had contacts or were extremely lucky. I'm sure it was the same over there. No I haven’t really looked into that sort of music. There was a great band from Holland called the Limit who I liked a lot. Then we had some great Italian producers. Some of the Brazilian music was great, Gilberto Gill, Azymuth, Tito Puente and the like.... I will have to check some of it out. Thanks.

Adidas2076

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 20:07    Reply with quote

Funky Vibes here's another Japanese funk track
Teruo Nakamura - Cat
https://youtu.be/_CZWT9ugw3U

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 21:29    Reply with quote

Adidas2076 wrote:
Funky Vibes here's another Japanese funk track
Teruo Nakamura - Cat
https://youtu.be/_CZWT9ugw3U

Wow this is very nice!! Thanks for sharing Smile

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 21:30    Reply with quote

@ Funky Vibes

Well Omar was lucky his Dad had a record Label so he was able to come through. There were lots of talented Guys like him in London but getting a record contract was almost impossible unless you had contacts or were extremely lucky. I'm sure it was the same over there. No I haven’t really looked into that sort of music. There was a great band from Holland called the Limit who I liked a lot. Then we had some great Italian producers. Some of the Brazilian music was great, Gilberto Gill, Azymuth, Tito Puente and the like.... I will have to check some of it out. Thanks.

Connections are so helpful. My sis is trying to break into the music industry, but she doesn't have anyone who can help her out. She almost signed a few record deals, but the contracts were extremely unfair, so she backed out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: