jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

New album: Automaton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Curry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 01:18    Reply with quote

Black Crow wasn't Bossa Nova, but Corner of the Earth definitely was.

We Can Do It is old school Disco, unlike Little L which was formatted for the modern Discotheque. It's like the difference between Sylvester and The Bee Gees. Both are known for Disco, but they're still vastly different.

I don't believe AFO was ahead of it's time. I think you guys are putting it on a pedestal as one of their best because it gave you a bunch of dance hits, while the videos gave you some great imagery. I'm positive the A Funk Odyssey embarked on another side of Jamiroquai you haven't seen before. It was a fresh look and a fresh sound from them.

I would like to believe that Automaton is geared towards being more electronic based, if there's a theme here.

Jam Vibe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 03:01    Reply with quote

Totally off-topic question but did anyone here saved the Matt Johnson interview where he plays a little bit of a track from Automaton?

I could not remember exactly how it sounded, but i'm quite sure that the synth line isn't on any of the album tracks.

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 09:30    Reply with quote

kellte2 wrote:

I'd be interested to see you put together a list to this end. Reasonable minds can differ on the subject of whether the earlier material is better than Automaton, but I am pretty confident that you can't put together a list to back up the point being argued above.

To me the album is derivative of prior music they've explored without maintaining the same degree of quality on past albums. It's an electro disco funk album that feels very lukewarm to me. As I said in my review, I don't think any of the songs are terrible. But on the flip side, none of the songs give me that wow factor. At best I feel some of the tracks are pretty good.

Even if people didn't like RDLS (which I'm not a big fan of, aside from particular tracks) I think it at least tried to do something different. Hey Floyd, TCDT & Fast Persuader are all great imo. Too bad RDLS has terrible production and the concept of the album itself is questionable (the album artwork was so bad and the name is strange).

mrdance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 21:09    Reply with quote

[quote="FunkyVibes"]
kellte2 wrote:

concept of the album itself is questionable (the album artwork was so bad and the name is strange).

Completely agree regarding the artwork. Diabolical.

This is where Automaton harkens back to AFO actually. Strong artwork... strong concept... a hat that is genuinely new and interesting. These things matter IMO.

(otherwise, the world just doesn't notice... and it's only us on Jamirotalk talking about it!)

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 21:53    Reply with quote

Listening to Matt's interview, it looks like Jay wanted to have a more rock/funk sound for RDLS (he also mentioned Roxy Music as an influence in 2010).
Maybe if they had marketed the thing a little bit differently (like a more classic album cover of that era, with the band in the studio, lots of instruments, etc) and better singles, it could've worked. Is not a bad album. Just poorly marketed and produced, which is a shame. (Besides, that's a cover for a live album! Is all wrong!).
The success of Automaton is also in the marketing strategy, no doubt about it. It helps in making it a cohesive product/work of art.

JamiroFan2000
Correspondent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 02:53    Reply with quote

Whelp......the U.S. Automaton release date came today with no retailers receiving the album releases for sale. I checked around at retail websites and called my local independent record stores, none had any copies 'in stock' or 'available for store pick-up'. Even checked the U.S. wing of the upcoming "Record Store Day 2017" holiday website, no Jamiroquai releases noted. Then I lastly checked Bestbuy.com and found the following:

Arrow https://i.redd.it/hm6bokmcs8qy.jpg

So it looks like there will a 1-2 month release delay for Automaton here in the United States with the only availability being on "IMPORT" from Europe/Japan. I will be honest, I had some very RDLS thoughts throughout today but I mean they could have at least tweeted us that there would be a release delay...oh well Rolling Eyes

mr.az

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 18:49    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
(Besides, that's a cover for a live album! Is all wrong!).
The success of Automaton is also in the marketing strategy, no doubt about it. It helps in making it a cohesive product/work of art.

yes, many don't get is a studio album because of the cover of RDLS
so, the fault is on...whatever who chosses...
AFO=AUTOMATON

jamfan2005

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 00:03    Reply with quote

JamiroFan2000 wrote:
Whelp......the U.S. Automaton release date came today with no retailers receiving the album releases for sale. I checked around at retail websites and called my local independent record stores, none had any copies 'in stock' or 'available for store pick-up'. Even checked the U.S. wing of the upcoming "Record Store Day 2017" holiday website, no Jamiroquai releases noted. Then I lastly checked Bestbuy.com and found the following:

Arrow https://i.redd.it/hm6bokmcs8qy.jpg

So it looks like there will a 1-2 month release delay for Automaton here in the United States with the only availability being on "IMPORT" from Europe/Japan. I will be honest, I had some very RDLS thoughts throughout today but I mean they could have at least tweeted us that there would be a release delay...oh well Rolling Eyes

This is strange. I had ordered a physical copy from Amazon (b/c they give you instant d/l of the digital version) expecting to see it in my post box yesterday, but when I checked the confirmation email it said will be notified when ships. Later in the evening I received an update that said the shipping date would be between April 19 - May 5. I am guessing they are going to send me an import copy with that date range. I hope they still count it as a sale here in the USA. I want it count for something Smile

SkyHigh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 03:36    Reply with quote

I don't understand why the US release is being delayed.What is the problem??!! Mad A similiar situation happened with RDLS.I ordered a few import copies from other countries but it hasn't arrived yet so I only have the digital copy from iTunes to listen to.No CD,no liner notes,no lyrics.This is so unfair.I just don't understand why the record company can't simply send the CDs to America!!! Why is that so difficult? Everything was going so well with the promotion and marketing for this album,but then they had to screw up the US release,smh.

JamiroFan2000
Correspondent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 06:18    Reply with quote

SkyHigh wrote:
I don't understand why the US release is being delayed.What is the problem??!! Mad A similiar situation happened with RDLS.I ordered a few import copies from other countries but it hasn't arrived yet so I only have the digital copy from iTunes to listen to.No CD,no liner notes,no lyrics.This is so unfair.I just don't understand why the record company can't simply send the CDs to America!!! Why is that so difficult? Everything was going so well with the promotion and marketing for this album,but then they had to screw up the US release,smh.

I completely sympathize with you and all my fellow American fans concerning this release delay. There's so many rumor 'whys' swirling around the Jamily about this delay, ranging from it was originally intended to be released (like RDLS) on RSD 2017 to Virgin/EMI 'underestimating' with their production of physical releases how well Automaton was going to sell and having to push back the US release rollout to meet demands. I certainly do think that with how much a well-oiled marketing machine that Automaton has had for the past 6-7 months that there should have been some communication that a 'release delay' was to be expected for certain territories (especially the U.S.). Chalk in the past debacle of RDLS concerning it's 2 year delay release in the U.S. then it only builds up that sentiment, still I do hope they add something 'special/bonus' to the U.S. release to make up for the shortfall of being too late into a release cycle to have the ample time to react to a simple 'supply-and-demand' problem. That's the least they could do..oh well...back to waiting for my mintpack bundle to arrive to me Rolling Eyes

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 00:26    Reply with quote

i have listened to the album more carefully, with headphones. I feel the band and Jay most of the time far away, with lot of echo, dirty...I can hear anything entering directly to my ears...i can't hear that "organic" sound it supposed to have...Jay's voice is overproduced the whole time, 2 jay's speaking to your ears in Carla...the sound overall is all wrong for me. I listened to travelling without moving album then, with hearphones. now THAT is for me a good sound; clean, raw, direct, close, neat; listen to all that instruments entering to your ears and direct to your brain...

***STONED AGAIN***

Greg House

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 09:02    Reply with quote

Am I the only one (in Europe) who haven't received yet the pre-ordered physical copy of Automaton from the official Jamiroquai store? (Standard mail)

According to their email notification, it's been dispatched on 30th March.

Mofle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 21:22    Reply with quote

Greg House wrote:
Am I the only one (in Europe) who haven't received yet the pre-ordered physical copy of Automaton from the official Jamiroquai store? (Standard mail)

Got mine today, It took very long Confused

Greg House

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 16:22    Reply with quote

Mofle wrote:
Greg House wrote:

Got mine today, It took very long Confused

Then mine is probably already on ebay for sale by the postman...

SkyHigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 20:25    Reply with quote

Amazon in the US emailed me this morning,notifying me that my Automaton CD will arrive tomorrow.So I guess the US release is now running properly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 59 of 61

Jump to: