jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Jamiroquai Fan Article COMPLETED - Link Inside!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

ryanmclelland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 17:57    Reply with quote

Jamiroquai Fan Article COMPLETED - Link Inside!!!
My name is Ryan - I'm a long time Jamirotalk lurker and post maybe once every 647 years.

I'm so excited for the new album. I launched my entertainment site 2Guys1Review.com recently and I thought about doing an article about Jamiroquai fans. Jamiroquai has literally meant SO MUCH to me and each album release always brings me back to a great point in my life.

My thought: I'd post here some simple questions. If you feel like answering one, some, all it would be outstanding. Want to leave real name or use your user ID I won't care. If you want to include where in the world you are that would be great (since the band really is so global). If no one answers that's fine...I just won't write anything. If there's responses I'll type up something sweet and post it a few weeks before the new album arrives.

The questions...

Where we were you when you first heard Jamiroquai?
How has Jamiroquai affected your life?
Which is your favorite album and/or song (and if you feel like it - why?)?
Hopes for Automaton? And the future?

If you decide to do it - much appreciated. Post here, PM me, e-mail me - I don't care.

I hope everyone is as excited for Automaton as I am. And if you do answer - thanks. I just thought this would be a fun thing to do.

Ryan

Last edited by ryanmclelland on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:39; edited 1 time in total

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 18:37    Reply with quote

Hi Ryan! I will answer your questions!! I think it's a great idea! Just give me a bit of time, we just moved into a new home and things are a bit crazy at the moment. But I will try to do it as soon as possible!! good

Meike (aka CosmicMouse)

ryanmclelland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 19:27    Reply with quote

Thank you Meike! I know how much the band means to you (AGAIN - over the years I've seen your posts everywhere as I lurked around these boards) so it'll be great to hear what you have to say!!!

I didn't mention that I'll be looking consistently at this for about a month - probably until March 1st. Then I figured I'd stop, take what I have, and start to write the piece - aiming for about a week or two before Automaton's release date.

If anyone has personal pics with the band they want to share...I'd post them along as well.

mr.az

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 21:29    Reply with quote

tv, because a music videos channel(not mtv, a argentinian channel) some night show them all and surprise me alot.
ALOT,i have sites based on jamiroquai videos, also on jamiroquai cars, and i like to listen jamiroquai every year, any song, as long as they keep releasing stuff
travelling without moving and dynamite
songs, cosmic girl and canned heat
both songs i like for any moment to just dance and feel relax.
the albums for me were the points of my life where i change my point of view about life, so, don't all albums make that changes.
i wish is a album very retro(because jamiroquai is 25 years old)and very critic to the world we have

and i wish the band keep releasing music till jay gets tired of music.
AFO=AUTOMATON

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 19:12    Reply with quote

My first Jamiroquai-Contact (in 1993) has been at my favorite club called"Jolly Joker" in my town Braunschweig (Brunswiek) ... it was "Too young to die". The first time I heard it, I was like: "Oh, cool, what's that?" When I asked a guy next to me, which band it was, he supposed: "Ahem, it sounds like Stevie Wonder..."

Everytime I heard it at this club, I jumped on the dancefloor and boogied all along, always wondering that they are so often playing "Stevie Wonder".

The same time I have read in some magazines about this new band called "Jamiroquai" with its very talented frontman Jay Kay. I thought that I would have to go and check this EOPE-Album some day... (I remember being fascinated about the buffaloman and the puristic design of the cover!!)

It took some time to realize that my favorite song was just from that band.

After buying their debut-album I became a big fan. I finally discovered the music, the sound, the feeling I have always been looking for.

It was like finding the love of your live. I knew that I would never ever stop adoring this music.

Jamiroquai's music has been accompanying me in my life since then. Anytime I was in clubs, I was urging the DJs to play some Jamiroquai for me. Sometimes they did, which always made my day. 1996 was my first Jamiroquai concert, but it was a disaster. I went with my ex-boyfriend (we still were together when we bought the tickets but broke up shortly before the gig). We decided to go together anyways, but it was (at least for me) an emotional roller coaster. We were standing at the back, I couldn't see anything, Jay was in a strange/bad mood as well and I couldn't really enjoy the concert at all. I think they did even skip the encore. I was really disappointed.

Then I lost a bit track of Jamiroquai… I still bought the albums, but haven't taken any effort to get concert tickets again.
(New relationship, marriage and pregnancy came in-between, so my priorities changed).

Then the AFO tour started and I got tickets for the gig in Hamburg. This was when I found my way back to Jamiroquai. I accidentally got to the front row (I was too early at the venue) had an amazing gig experience and was immediately hooked. Those laser beams, Jay's hat, those moves, those grooves… right after the concert I was planning more concert trips, first Berlin and then London.
Simultaniously I discovered the online Jamiroquai world, was talking to fans in forums who I met at future gigs. In 2002 I opened the doors to my own
fan forums and connected to many many fans from all around the world. From now on going to gigs was even more special because we all felt like one big family - the Jamily. Every concert was one big fan-meeting in the front-row. We had gigs with people from 10 or more different countries in the first rows. What an exciting time!
My dedication to the forum did cost me a lot of time and money, but I enjoyed it a lot. I wanted to offer a cosy little virtual world for all the jamiroquai fans, and it is great to see that even today in times of Facebook and twitter, that people are still coming to jamirotalk.net and discuss the newest stuff.
I managed to contact the band members and did interviews with them for my site. This brought me closer to the band and even Jay, who recognized me at an after show party and thanked me personally for all my work.

My craziest experience was winning a ticket for "Gig in the sky" - a worldrecordbreaking concert of Jamiroquai in a plane during a flight from Munich to Athens. That was very special and exclusive.

All in all I can say that Jamiroquai affected my life enormously. I got to know great, like-minded people in many countries and even met lots of them in real life. Going to a jamiroquai concert is still a very special event for me. Travelling to other countries to see the band and meeting the Jamily became an important part of my life and is a welcome escape from the normal life.

My all-time favorite song is "Stillness in Time"… I just love that song. I feel so cosy when I listen to it, I forget time and space.
I don't really have a favorite album. It depends on my mood which album I listen to. Just recently I re-detected A Funk Odyssey.
I really enjoy the old stuff, especially when they are playing them live. But I also like the newer songs. As long as there is the jamiroquai vibe in the song, I can't get enough of it. I appreciate the variety and diversity, it never gets boring.

So far I am very happy with the new songs. First I was a bit surprised and confused about the song "Automaton" but meanwhile I really love it. Especially in combination with the video. It's awesome and text, music and pictures go very well altogether.
Cloud 9 is a groovy feel-good-song. I can't stop moving when I listen to it.
I hope that the other songs will be rich in variety, I hope for great basslines, funky guitar riffs, funky beats and some brass.

For the future I would be happy if they'd bring back a didgeridoo in a way. Maybe in a new kind of style… a didgeridoo 2.0. maybe.
But to be honest, I don't really have any expectations. I like surprises and I have trust that I won't be disappointed.

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 19:13    Reply with quote

Sorry, it's so long... Shocked

I will look for pictures and add them soon.

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 19:56    Reply with quote

Hello Ryan!
I'll give it a shot, here I go:

(I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina)
Where were you when you first heard Jamiroquai?

I was probably at home. It was 1997 and I was around 11 years old, just starting to get into music. MTV and MuchMusic were on most of the time. I remember the Virtual Insanity video, and I clearly remember the Canned Heat video too during 1999. But one day they played Supersonic and it just blew my mind. Both video and song were something completely different that I've never seen or heard before. I was completely addicted, seeing the rankings, recording the video on VHS to see it multiple times (no internet!). I was 13, so Synkronized was the first album I ever bought by myself. After that it didn't take long to buy the rest of the albums.

In a big way. In many ways, actually. They shaped me musically. (There must've been some hereditary thing too because I knew much much later that my dad used to hear Stevie Wonder, Bobby Womack and some other funk/soul stuff).
It also changed the people around me. For many years, most of my friends and circle of people I knew were somehow tied to the band, people I met through things like "hey, he likes Jamiroquai too" and started bonding, things like that. A few love interests flourished because of JMQ too.

I'm a graphic designer and their whole aesthetic was a big influence too. The album covers, the buffalo logo, the world-building around Jay and the hats, the feathers, the sci-fi influences (from the EOPE video all the way to the 2001: A Space Odyssey dedicated album and now the Automaton Blade Runner stuff), all of that helped me in some way I believe. Maybe I became a graphic designer and a big sci-fi fan because of all that, or maybe not. I don't really know. Perhaps they're not related, but can't really say the reason. It's a "chicken or the egg" kind of thing.
So yeah, when people ask me why I'm such a big fan, is because there was clearly a bunch of different things that came together at the right time in the right place. I would probably have a much different life if it wasn't for them.

In 2006 I saw them live for the very first time and, as a big bonus, I managed to meet the entire band, exchange a few words, take a photograph, and get my own autograph from none other than Jay himself.

Well because of nostalgic reasons, I have to say Synkronized is probably my favorite. Not because I think is their best album, but it is the most important one for me. Is the one I listened first. Canned Heat is an absolute joy. One of the best songs ever recorded. Manifest Destiny too.

High hopes. They have never done something I outright disliked, and changes in the sound are always welcome. I like experimentations, I think it can lead to musical places otherwise they couldn't have gotten to. Is no coincidence articles refer to them as an acid jazz/funk/soul/disco/electronic/rock band. They can't be classified. Their sound is unique. They can go to different musical routes but they always have a recognizable signature. That's is not an easy thing to do. I see that in design and art too: it is very difficult to do different things but keeping 'something', a style, that make people still recognize the hand behind that work. JK has the ability to go from one genre to the other and still sound like Jamiroquai. A lot of people mistakenly refer to this as "their songs are always the same". No. Their signature sound is probably the same, but not the songs. I don't know any another band that can play Music of the Mind and then Stop Don't Panic and then Smoke & Mirrors or even Automaton.

BudFox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10    Reply with quote

CosmicMouse wrote:
Hi Ryan! I will answer your questions!! I think it's a great idea!

Meike (aka CosmicMouse)

Hallo Meike.
Du lebst in Braunschweig ? Smile
Letztes Jahr Ich suchte ein Porsche Cayenne in Mobile.de...und in Braunschweig, da war ein Super Angebot...das war photographiert von dem Villa (Castle) sieht schön aus....aber ich habe mein Auto dann in Wien gefunden Smile)

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46    Reply with quote

I read about them before I heard them. I used to buy Melody Maker, a UK music paper, every week, and I remember reading some articles about "the cat in the hat". Then on MTV you would see videos here and there, I remember seeing TYTD and Blow Your Mind on MTV, and Top of the Pops I think (a now-defunct weekly BBC TV show).

Then in summer of 1993 the album came out, it was a friend's birthday, and I was tasked to buying EOPE on cassette for her present. So the first Jamiroquai album I got was actually for someone else. I remember her playing it at her party and hearing the really jazzy bits (I think it was Music Of The Mind) and wondering were people liking it. I liked it, as I was into some jazz as well as things like King Crimson, who had some jazzy / fusion elements.

Still though, I wasn't a "fan" as such. Fast forward to autumn 1994. Space Cowboy comes out, great song, resonates a little more with me. But it wasn't really "cool" to like Jamiroquai at that point, certainly not in the face of the Oasis / Britpop movement. Half the Man came out and I remember me and friends making fun of the video.

1995. Light Years. Coincides with my interest in snowboarding (not that I ever became a snowboarder, I just thought it was cool). I had cut my hair and started wearing baggy / skater clothes instead of grunge clothes and this fitted right in. I loved it. I thought they were my kind of dudes. I grew a goatee and bought some hats. My friend had a spare copy of "ROTSC" and he gave it to me. Then in summer they appear on MTV playing the live version of Stillness In Time. That blew me away. A band of cool dudes, wearing the clothes I was wearing and wanted to wear, playing this amazing music. I watched that clip endlessly.

And that's how I got into Jamiroquai.

In a number of ways - fashion mostly! Stuart Zender's big jeans (I, like he, have consigned them to the past however). And my love of bass playing - I played bass for several years in a non-rock band, and played a Warwick streamer to boot! The first album's message was also a big one at the time - this is when MTV used to be a little alternative (certainly, MTV Europe was) and those kind of "free your mind" messages used to pop up all the time. It was a time when environmentalism was a big issue (still is of course) but it really needed a band to hang it's message on. And Jamiroquai seemed to be that (until they stopped singing about that kind of stuff).

I get pleasure from the music, plain and simple. It makes me feel free. Reminds me of the summer of 1995 when I was 20 and could do anything.

Album - probably ROTSC.
Song - probably Stillness in Time. Both chosen for the reasons outlined above.

That it's "Jamiroquai now" and not "Jamiroquai then". Because it will never be what it was in the past. I like the new direction (though it's not really that new, it's very much like AFO).

Hope for the future? I would love the original line up (Zender / Smith / Wallis / Darren / Simon) to reunite for some "classic album" gigs. And to hear the unreleased "Symphonised". And any unreleased jams / music from the EOPE - TWM era.

ryanmclelland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 19:35    Reply with quote

Thought I'd pop back to see if anyone wrote (and to find out why the songs aren't on the charts...I'm puzzled! Spesh Automaton...I realize Cloud 9 just came out....) and there's a bunch. Thank you everyone!

I figure I'll keep the thread open for another three weeks or so before I pull everyone's answers and start figuring out how I'm going to write it up.

Thanks to everyone who responded. If you are reading and thinking, "He doesn't want to hear from me.." I TOTALLY DO!

Smile

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 23:00    Reply with quote

ok, there you go, i'll try to keep it short:

I'm 34 now, from basque country.

back in 1996, a girlfriend of my older brother came from a trip to the USA and brought to our home 'travelling without moving' album for him. We listened to it and I instantly fell in love with virtual insanity, cosmis girl, alright and travelling without moving songs, i loved the songs and the entire artwork and desing of the cd: the cover with the ferrari/buffaloman logo, the back with the motor with jamiroquai text, the inside photos of the band flying in the space...

it affected deeply in so many ways: first of all, my musical taste changed from mainly punk/rock/heavy/ska music (the so called 'rock radical vasco i use to heard in my childhood) to funk; then it opened me the way to a big variety of music genres. It also influenced my clothings, and overall, jamiroquai become the main icon in my life, for many years.

my favorite album is 'the return of the space cowboy'. It is just a perfect album, a masterpiece; it's entire mood is just fantastic and it doesn't get old, it's timeless. I have a lot of songs that can be named as my favorite song, some of them because of the memories of my life that bring me, other for the quality of the songs itself...
space cowboy, stillness in time, mr moon, when you gonna learn, blow your mind, high times, driftin along, didjital vibrations...

i hope to get a good album, i'm sure it will have some great songs that i will love, although i don't think they will make something as great as the first three albums.

***STONED AGAIN***

ryanmclelland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 23:25    Reply with quote

CosmicMouse wrote:
Sorry, it's so long... Shocked

I will look for pictures and add them soon.

Pictures!!! 😄

BudFox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:53    Reply with quote

Hello Ryan.

My english is not the best, so, I would be very "compact", and short Smile

I am Tibor from Hungary, I am 38.

I remember...in 1993...we had Music Television,
and I saw the Too Young to Die videoclip. That was a Very srtange clip I thought....there is a young guy...and singing from the death, and singing from the environmental disaster...this time..it does not have a substantial impact on me.
And then I saw on MTV the Blow Your mind clip...Hmm...another strange clip I thought...a completely different style....I remember as Jay climbs front of the camera....that was a completely drugged video or something ? Very Happy
And I saw Emergency on planet Earth video...that was cool video...something sci-fi, and also an environmental protection style video...
Later...in 1996, I heard Cosmic Girl on the Hungarian radio station called Danubius...they went to the 6.th or 8.th. place...So Every week I heard on the radio ...I was enchanted by this track Smile This Track is changes everything...
When I saw the video clip on French Music TV called MCM, and on the MTV Europe. I was recording into a VHS cassette....I still have this cassettes Smile
So this was a very good track..I love it...and I was remembering that these band, I heard fro 3 years ago...but that time they don't making on me any impressions...
From Cosmic Girl I love the band, and all the tracks...from the early Jazzy style, till now, the electric style track too..

I have learned Piano is the school...
and from Cosmic Girl, the band is fully impressed me.
They have catchy tunes, very Jazzy, very Funky...lovely.Smile
Then it opened me the way to a big variety of music genres. It also influenced my collecting hobby , and overall, Jamiroquai become the main icon in my life, for many years. I love to collect Jamiroquai Cd's. I have the most Jamiroquai Items in Hungary, and I am in the top 10 - 20 worldwide ( I Hope Smile ). I have many items now...and I will start collecting Vinyls too...the price of the Vinyls is this time cheap, hopefully when I collected many...the prices will go up and up, time to time, when vinyls will rarer....
My another Hobby is watching Home Cinema. I have a high-end home cinema at home. So I can enjoy Jamiroquai in fully mood.

My favorite album is 'the return of the space cowboy', Emergency on Planet Earth, and Travelling Without moving . These are just perfect albums, a masterpiece;from the first 2 albums, many tracks entire mood is just fantastic and it doesn't get old, it's timeless. For example : Music of the Mind. Emergency on Planet earth. I have a lot of songs that can be named as my favorite song, some of them because of the memories of my life that bring me, other for the quality of the songs itself...
space cowboy, Mr moon, Too Young to Die, Blow your mind, Cosmic Girl, didjital vibrations..

Did everybody noticed that starting the track Virtual Insanity, there is a srtange noise...that is the computer noise from the movie :Alien. Very Happy when wake up the computer called "mother" Very Happy an old style analog computer...
I love that Jamiroquai is really attracted to sci-fi, and space travel...
This can we see by the names of the track..and can see on the artworks of the covers.

I also like : White Knucke ride, Runaway, Twenty Zero One, Scam, Rock Dust Light Star, Love Foolosophy, You Give me something.

High hopes....
Automaton is an another sci-fi style videoclip, with a new style.
The times will changing..so Jamiroquai changing with the times...
Daft Punk is made great successes with their style...now Jamiroquai could many fans tempt from another concerts...and the old fans like this style I am very sure.
Making music and videos is not just pleasure, than business...so making popular music is also important thing.

BudFox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 13:07    Reply with quote

This is the sound from the front of the Virtual Insanity. the sound of the Nostromo analog computer terminal from the Movie : Alien
Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb43-hn_-_c

phunkynassau

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 14:27    Reply with quote

At home, watching MTV Europe in 1993/4. I saw Too Young To Die. Great tune, great lyrics.
My first Jamiroquai album was The Return of The Space Cowboy though. I loved the first two singles Space Cowboy and Half The Man, but bought the album because of tracks like Just Another Story and Manifest Destiny. At that time I listened a lot to the early work of bands like Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears. Jamiroquai seemed like their natural successor.

Musically in many ways. Every new album I'd like to go to one or two gigs. Normally one of the tour and one festival. Some concerts were great (Rock Werchter '97, Wembley Arena '99, Ahoy '99 & '11), others were a little bit disappointing (Ahoy '01, NSJ '06, Paradiso '10).
Jamiroquai really got me hookep up on soul, funk, disco, hiphop and jazz. Through their music I discovered so many great artists like Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd, Gil Scott-Heron, Guru, Sly and the Family Stone, MC Solaar, Weldon Irvine, Johnny Hammond and of course James Brown, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye.
Since then I've become an avid record collector and concertgoer. Also of more contemporary artists, such as Quantic, Alice Russell, José James, Thundercat, Kamasi Washington and Kendrick Lamar.

Which is your favorite album and/or song?

Well, the first cut is the deepest: The Return of the Space Cowboy. It's a bit darker and more edgy than the other albums. Great vibe and flow throughout the album. In my opinion it's a must have for all soul and (jazz)funk lovers. (Closely followed by the LP-version of Emergency on Planet Earth, with those fabulous extended versions of When You Gonna Learn, Too Young To Die and If I Like It).
My favorite song is a close call between Just Another Story, Stillness in Time (extended version) and When You Gonna Learn (extended version). And probably the latter is my all time favorite. But they are all great jams and do really justice to the name JAMiroquai.

The spectacular success of Travelling Without Moving influenced the musical direction of Jamiroquai a lot. The album has become the backbone of the band: as a blueprint for the next albums and every gig is centered around songs like Use The Force, High Times, Alright and the title song. Nothing wrong with that, because it has made Jamiroquai a household name.
But the downside is that the band is - in my opinion - less adventurous than I would like them to be. As Jay said this weekend on BBC Radio 2, he has some trouble to reinvent the sound of Jamiroquai. I think that's true. I'm really glad to have heard the new songs, but they didn't blow me away as in the early years.
So my hopes for the new album are 'realistic'. I'm glad they are still making music, because every album has some tunes I really like. But most of all, because it gives me a chance to see and hear them live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: