jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Jamiroquai Fan Article COMPLETED - Link Inside!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 21:00    Reply with quote

budfox...have you copypasted my responses on your post? Laughing Laughing

***STONED AGAIN***

BudFox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:31    Reply with quote

1-2 sorry for that...My english is not the best...Very Happy difficult to write some word..
not problem ?

as I have read your post...I saw, we are ona same wavelenght Smile

smellbob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 13:58    Reply with quote

Where we were you when you first heard Jamiroquai?

This is complicated. I'm a young black/african american gay guy living in the Los Angeles (Southern California) area, so I always think I'm an alien from outer space that was reincarnated as someone in the past with a weird music taste lol.

Technically the first time I heard Jamiroquai, I was still in grade school and this is quite a while ago, way before discovering music on the internet was an option. We all had telephone line internet and hardly went on it lol.

Me and some cousins were watching MTV in the San Fernando Valley at my Uncle and Aunt's house and MTV had a programming block in which people in your area or county called in and voted for what video you wanted to see.

This programming block was later collaborated into the also defunct (Well I think in Europe it's still available but here in the states it's gone lol) THE BOX channel.

People kept requesting "Virtual Insanity" over and over, and we all were mesmerized by the song and video and dancing and trying to emulate Jay on the sofas and walls and shit lol. I just fell in love with that sound lol.

Of course the ticker on the bottom says what song and artist it is, so I just wrote it down and went to the music store as I wanted the rest of the album.

I went and got the cassette for TWM as that was the only album they had on the shelf. Their earlier two albums would be imports so that's why they weren't there.

Until years later, I assumed TWM was their one and only album lol.

Not too long after that and I just for some reason forgot about Jamiroquai.

The complicated part is that I just assumed they were what we called in America a one hit wonder group. lol.

I never knew they had albums prior to this, and released a couple more albums after that.

I by accident a few years later was watching Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous a little bit and they played "You Give Me Something" around the time the single debuted in America. In the background. I just had a gut feeling that was Jamiroquai as well. So I decided to go to the record store to see if they had a new album and they did.

All they had on the shelf was AFO and TWM which I already had.

I just assumed they only had two albums lol.

Out of boredrom, I was on the defunct Napster site browsing on my computer looking for music to put on my mp3 player/walkman, and I decided to type in Jamiroquai to see if they had any of their tracks or any other albums I didn't know about, thinking they didn't.

At that moment, I for the first time heard EOPE, ROTSC and Synkronized and bought and downloaded all the Jamiroquai album MP3's that I didn't have in the early 2000's I was going into High School lol.

So I fell in love with Jamiroquai twice lol.

I also by accident found Funkin and Jamirotalk too like the day after lol.

How has Jamiroquai affected your life?

It introduced me to the Acid Jazz/ Jazz Funk/ Fusion/ genres.

I would have never found out and gotten closer attached about Incognito, Brand New Heavies, Level 42, Swing Out Sister, Jazzanova, Atjazz, all these underrated ensembles similar to Jamiroquai, if it weren't for Jamiroquai. lol.

I would have never had more respect for real music and live musicians rather than poppy synths and generic shit.

I love how they are one of the few music acts to actually sound even better live, and that's so crazy.

Even though I've never actually seen them perform live sadly. They hardly ever have gigs in the states. But I know Jay and the musicians exist. I don't have to physically see them to be a fan lol. Maybe one day I'll be able to go. Maybe god willing and god blessing, I'll go to one of the Automaton gigs? Who knows?

Jamiroquai is most arguably my most favorite music group.

Which is your favorite album and/or song (and if you feel like it - why?)?

My favorite album is Traveling Without Moving. It is the first Jamiroquai album I heard, that's why.

I have one for each album and why.

EOPE:"Too Young To Die". It was technically the groups first single. WYGL is just the first released and labelled single on the Sony label. I just love the message and the bridges. I had that song in my head all the time. It's the perfect song to go to the beaches here in California and listen to.

ROTSC:"Mr Moon". For some reason I just kept skipping this song at first, I don't know why. It's now one of my all time favorite Jamiroquai songs. The bridge is just amazing. (Just give me a chance), as I'm assuming Mr. Moon is a guy that women avoid because of how weird he looks or acts as he's the "Moon" and he feels nobody can get to him.

TWM:"Virtual Insanity". Obvious choice. Jamiroquais' most famous single in America and technically the first song I heard from them.

Synkronized:"Canned Heat". Because of Napoleon Dynamite.

AFO:"You Give Me Something". It was the song that reintroduced me to Jamiroquai by sheer accident. Also look at my signature lol.

Dynamite:"Seven Days in Sunny June". Such a chill song and definitely my favorite of the Dynamite album.

High Times:"Radio" because of the bisexuality part lol.

RDLS:"She's a Fast Persuader":In my opinion along with "Lifeline" and "Two Completely Different Things", the only good song on the album.

Hopes for Automaton? And the future?
I'm gonna buy the album so I'm still gonna support the band.

As it's not released yet, aside from two track, I have to have an open and blank mind.

I myself didn't care for the title track "Automaton", but other people did and that's all that mattered.

I love "Cloud 9" so much, yet other people say it's a boring and bland song. lol.

So there are clearly mixed reactions and it's difficult.

I would hope that the album is overall good and looking forward to the tour and possibly more albums to come until Jay doesn't want to perform anymore.

Thank you for posting this survey.

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 21:28    Reply with quote

BudFox wrote:
1-2 sorry for that...My english is not the best...Very Happy difficult to write some word..
not problem ?

as I have read your post...I saw, we are ona same wavelenght Smile

no problemo. Glad you connect with my toughts Very Happy

***STONED AGAIN***

John Doggett

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 13:13    Reply with quote

Re: Writing Jamiroquai Fan Article - Looking For HELP!
Hi Ryan, Hi Jamirotalkers !

It's very interesting to read these posts. This topic brings out the link between us and I really like it.

It was in septembre 1993, at home, after school, on the radio. It was too Young to Die. I remember that I ask to my mother if she knows the singer, she replied that :"it's probably a black woman !". Laughing
Few days later, I watched the famous french TV Programme at this time "Nulle Part Ailleurs", and Jamiroquai was invited. It was the first time that I've seen Jay Kay and the band. I was intrigued by the big hat and the couloured clothes. Jay Kay replies pertinently to the questions, talk about the main theme of the first album and I find it very cool. He and the band play Too Young To Die (version avalaible in the Maxi Live On French Tv) and finally I could put an image to Jamiroquai !
But I was not in love yet. It will happen few months later when I saw the video of Blow your mind. These horns, these chords, this bass, this voice : it was a revelation !
I immediatly bought the Blow Your Mind single and couple of days later the Emergency On Planet Earth Album which I listened every evening, after homework, with my two brothers.

It's the soundtrack of my life ! Every track in every album is a "petite madeleine de Proust" (author of Remebrance Of Thing's Past/ A la Recherche du Temps Perdu).
Moreover, Jamiroquai opens the doors of many many many artists to me and it is the main start for my musical passion. Finally, Jamiroquai is one of the main topic of conversation with my brothers and me (we saw the band 4 times together) So, Jamiroquai belongs to my life !

My favorite song is Space Cowboy (single version) ! When I heard it for the first time on the TV, I knew that Jamiroquai will be the band of my life. This voice, this keyboards, this bass, this sweet guitar, this drums...

My favorite albums are : The Return Of The Space Cowboy and Synkronized. Both are important and precious to me.

By the way I really don't understand the anathema against Rock Dust Light Star. It's a good album with some great tracks.

Hopes for Automaton?

I'm simply glad to have a new album and listen to brand new tracks (it's priceless !). Moreover, I'm happy because Jay gots the full control creative of the album. It will be his artistic vision. I can't wait to hear it !

And the future?

I hope they still making music and tour. I hope that others albums will follow every 2-3 years ! Thank you for reading this post.

ryanmclelland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 17:58    Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

If you've left a post thank you so very much. I figure I'll let this topic go another 10 or so days before I pull the answers and start figuring out when I'm going to do for this fan article.

Thanks again for answering. And if you haven't...there is no better time than now!!!

Javis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 19:22    Reply with quote

I was at a friend's house, the TV was on and I spotted the Canned Heat video on MTV. Both the song and the video were to cool and I was impressed, since then the "Jamiroquai" word resounded in my mind for quite some time.
The very next song I heard was Deeper Underground, and, honestly, I didn't like it very much (though I thought it was very catchy), so some years passed until I paid attention to them again.

It was 2005 and I was listening different funk bands, and I came across Little L, which was in the same line of Canned Heat, and I loved it.
Fortunately, Dynamite was about to be released and that's when I hooked up with the band.

After a year, by the end of 2006, a loved person had an accident and it was a very rough time in my life. I got depressed and had to be medicated, but decided the best I could do was to continue with my life and move on.
I remember how music, specially Jamiroquai's, helped me to distract and enjoy every day. I would spend hours listening to every album, every remix song, searching on internet for live bootlegs, comparing versions, etc.
Spending time on that helped me a lot, and was a key factor for me to recover. I will always be thankful to Jay/the band for that.

My favorite album is Dynamite. I know is not particularly popular among the fans, but is the one that got released when I was discovering the band, it was my starting point.
I love the diversity of the album, it has jazz, pop, funk and rock tunes, and I like how all of them have the "Jamiroquai signature", even being so different.

My favorite song is Alright. It's a simple straightforward funk song, but it's so carefully produced and it's so effective that I can't help thinking is pure genius! Also, I think it's a good representation of what Jamiroquai music is.

Hopes for Automaton? And the future?

I would be lying if I say I like absolutely all and every song Jamiroquai did, but I found songs I really loved in every album. My hopes for Automaton are the same. I'm sure I will like most of the songs to come, and probably hate a few XD

For the future, I hope the band keeps releasing music as long as they can!

ryanmclelland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:35    Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I'm SO excited that next week and Automaton is finally here.

So I finally put together the piece and threw it up on the site.

http://2guys1review.com/2017/03/24/jamiroquai-love-letter-fans/

Hope you all enjoy, hope I did you all justice, and I hope everyone enjoys.

Thanks again for all of your participation. It was deeply and greatly appreciated.

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 13:14    Reply with quote

very good article! thanks for adding our thoughts about jamiroquai!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

***STONED AGAIN***

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 17:58    Reply with quote

That was a really good article, Ryan!
Kudos, it was a really complete portrait of the band's history. And ours too.

mr.az

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 19:44    Reply with quote

niceee
AFO=AUTOMATON

John Doggett

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 20:57    Reply with quote

It's a brillant work ! Congratulations & Thank you !

Javis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 14:03    Reply with quote

Amazing! That's a huge article lol

Thanks !! Very Happy

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 16:20    Reply with quote

Amazing work Surprised
Very nice article to say the least!

ryanmclelland

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:40    Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Really it is all of you that made the article special (at least in my eyes).

I CAN'T WAIT FOR FRIDAY!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: