jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Jamiroquai is "electronic now! the funk is gone!"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

def.con.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 15:08    Reply with quote

Jamiroquai is "electronic now! the funk is gone!"
Been seeing this sentiment quite a bit on the boards and Facebook lately. A lot of angry and disappointed "fans" saying stuff like "it's all electronic now. there's no funk anymore!" It's driving me crazy.

Funk didn't begin and end with James Brown and Kool & The Gang. "Funk" doesn't simply mean live instruments with emphasis on pop-bass, wah guitars, and horns etc. Besides, Jamiroquai has been doing that sound longer than most of the actual bands from the 1960's/1970's that originated the genre.

People are forgetting about Kraftwerk, Giorgio Moroder, Zapp, Arthur Baker and Afrika Bambaataa, Cybotron, Herbie Hancock, Mantronix, and countless others who used and accentuated electronic instrumentation in their funk, disco, electro and early hip-hop productions in the late 70's and early 80's.

If you don't hear the "funk" in the "Automaton" single, I'm not sure what to tell you. You might be dead inside.

Javis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 15:50    Reply with quote

I bet they are the same people who said there wasn't funk in RDLS and Dynamite

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 18:18    Reply with quote

There are some great bass covers of Automaton on youtube and vimeo. While listening to those it is more obvious how funky the song is! What a bassline!! Check them out and show them to the sceptics! 7electricguitar 5thumbsup

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 18:21    Reply with quote

Check those for example! Can't wait to hear the live versions of the song!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NBRHIr7kos

https://vimeo.com/202110876

def.con.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 20:53    Reply with quote

CosmicMouse wrote:
Check those for example! Can't wait to hear the live versions of the song!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NBRHIr7kos

https://vimeo.com/202110876

Precisely, and thank you! Too many people are like "where's the bass?!" It's right there, absolutely audible, especially during the chorus. Pay attention!

Curry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 21:12    Reply with quote

Bass =/= Funk

I think too many fans try to equate one with the other, so when they don't hear an emphasis they think "THERE'S NO BASS!!!!" when, in fact there is.

People make me sad at times....

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 21:19    Reply with quote

I don't get it. They HAVE GONE electronic before, I don't see how Automaton is such a big departure from what they have done.

I think this is all specially polarizing because the band is 25 years now, and they've touched a lot of music genres, from acid jazz to soul, funk, reggae and disco. Some people like the early stuff. Some others like the disco-funk era. Some others dig their experimental side like Supersonic.

At the end of the day, I'm just glad we are getting new music from them, and that they keep evolving and trying new things. Is not like they're doing a rap album or an instrumental heavy metal album, come on. Some people just like to complain and overreact. That beautiful classic line up of musicians is no more. We just have to deal with it.

Now in the distance, RDLS now looks like the "more organic sound" some people always wanted. With Automaton I'm having Synkronized/AFO vibes, and those albums really stood the test of time.

So yeah, I'm excited to listen to what they've done. And if I don't like it, I'll say it then. But for now, things look promising.

Dani

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 21:52    Reply with quote

Amen, Dye.

def.con.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 22:08    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
I don't get it. They HAVE GONE electronic before, I don't see how Automaton is such a big departure from what they have done.

I think this is all specially polarizing because the band is 25 years now, and they've touched a lot of music genres, from acid jazz to soul, funk, reggae and disco. Some people like the early stuff. Some others like the disco-funk era. Some others dig their experimental side like Supersonic.

At the end of the day, I'm just glad we are getting new music from them, and that they keep evolving and trying new things. Is not like they're doing a rap album or an instrumental heavy metal album, come on. Some people just like to complain and overreact. That beautiful classic line up of musicians is no more. We just have to deal with it.

Now in the distance, RDLS now looks like the "more organic sound" some people always wanted. With Automaton I'm having Synkronized/AFO vibes, and those albums really stood the test of time.

So yeah, I'm excited to listen to what they've done. And if I don't like it, I'll say it then. But for now, things look promising.

Exactly. The connective tissue in all of Jamiroquai's stuff is a certain intangible "groove," or "boogie" as Jay Kay might say.

To me, as long as there's a "groove" it's Jamiroquai, regardless of genre, tempo, instrumentation, acoustic, or electric. To my ears, "Automaton" has "groove" for days.

I think people that get bent out of shape about genre, or whether Jamiroquai are straying too far away from their initial sound, just don't quite get music.

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 22:17    Reply with quote

def.con.1 wrote:

Exactly. The connective tissue in all of Jamiroquai's stuff is a certain intangible "groove," or "boogie" as Jay Kay might say.

To me, as long as there's a "groove" it's Jamiroquai, regardless of genre, tempo, instrumentation, acoustic, or electric. To my ears, "Automaton" has "groove" for days.

I think people that get bent out of shape about genre, or whether Jamiroquai are straying too far away from their initial sound, just don't quite get music.

I agree. They get to do something very few artists (of any discipline) are able to do, which is create different stuff while still maintaining their style.

For example, Automaton is different but somehow it still sounds like Jamiroquai. Which is why, I think, some people say "it sounds very different" and at the same time there's another group that says "it sounds like every one of their songs".

And I love the band precisely because they can play Corner of the Earth next to Twenty Zero One and then Runaway. I fail to see any other band that is able to be as shapeshifting as Jamiroquai. They don't get enough credit.

Curry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 22:58    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
And I love the band precisely because they can play Corner of the Earth next to Twenty Zero One and then Runaway. I fail to see any other band that is able to be as shapeshifting as Jamiroquai. They don't get enough credit.

You're right, they don't.

I think you'll find people who are reacting based off of industry standards, in terms of genre, which means "this is your umbrella, now stand under it, forever!" So for some people out there, Jamiroquai, HAS TO ascribe to one sound.

People keep forgetting that Jamiroquai is among a generation of musicians who debuted with having a multitude of musical genres included in a single album. The reason why they're acclaimed for Acid Jazz and Funk is because those were the sounds that stood out the most and it became their selling point during their early days.

AFO, however, wasn't solely based on it being a Disco sound. Let's try to remember that this was also Jay's transition from being that "cool dude next door," to this suave looking stud, basically trading in his big hats for fedoras and my people's headdress (and their variants). All marketed to be this catchy new look and sound of Jamiroquai.

I've always liked their direction. I don't feel it has to be set as one thing, so long as their style matches their aesthetic.

iranterres

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 00:23    Reply with quote

I will disregard this topic

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 00:42    Reply with quote

haha Iranterres!
oh not this again!

I don't care if people want to label their music as Funk, or not Funk.
It's basically about whether the music is good.
I love electronic music! I love Funky music. I love a little pop.
Whatever Jamiroquai made, I'm expecting a merge of genres, presented in a fantastic way.

I wouldn't say "Under Pressure" is really a Funk song even though there's tons of bass. I think Funk is more based on the rhythms and power punches, it typically has a brass section, and is much more aggressive than pop. Makes you wanna Get Down! Whoa!

So, I'm hoping for some brass, please. and maybe some Disco

Dye wrote:
Very Happy
Quote:
Now in the distance, RDLS now looks like the "more organic sound" some people always wanted.

Yes -and this is exactly what Jamiroquai called RDLS Smile

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 01:01    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:

Dye wrote:
Very Happy
Quote:
Now in the distance, RDLS now looks like the "more organic sound" some people always wanted.

Yes -and this is exactly what Jamiroquai called RDLS Smile

Yes. I remember. Jay said the word he used while recording was "Lo-fi".

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 01:05    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:

Yes. I remember. Jay said the word he used while recording was "Lo-fi".

Lo-Fi! yes we don't hear that phrase anymore Smile

Well than this next one must be Hi-Fi then!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: