jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Jamirotalk 2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 17:49    Reply with quote

Jamirotalk 2.0
Hey Jamirotalkers,

I appreciate so much that lots of you are still here, discussing Jamiroquai and music, and that you fill this forum with life, although there are meanwhile diverse other possibilities to spend time on the internet as a jamiroquai fan, for example social media supplies, like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on.

Now, since the new album has been announced, people were coming back and were using different sites to discuss and share news. That's awesome on the one hand, on the other hand it is harder to keep up with every news and discussion, in my opinion. I am using Facebook for different reasons and it is quite confusing, when all my interests are mixing up at that place. I wish we had one meeting point where everything concerning jamiroquai is taking place. News, discussions, reviews, sharing, ect.

And it should be easy to use on mobile devices.
(my Computer died, so I know now about the pain, using jamirotalk with mobliephone!!!)

I am working on something, but am not exactly clear how it should be. I want a mini-Facebook-like site, but just for the jamily. But with similar functions. If we had such a jamily-facebook, would you miss the possibilies of a discussion forum?
Should the new jamirotalk 2.0 have a forum as well? Or are those social media functions enough?

Or should I leave the old jamirotalk forums for those who would like tostill use a discussion forum?

Do you have any ideas what you would love to have for a new jamirotalk?

Any ideas for a name?

Jamirotalk 2.0
Jamirotalk - the return of the jamily
Jamirotalk - united jamiroquai fans worldwide

???

Curious what you think about it!

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 18:12    Reply with quote

Re: Jamirotalk 2.0
CosmicMouse wrote:
If we had such a jamily-facebook, would you miss the possibilies of a discussion forum?

I would, yes. What I like about the forum is that it keeps everything organized. While FB groups are easily accessible, it is harder to find stuff or discussions that are not on top.
Besides, this has been our home since 2002/03. I can't say I won't miss it.
Those are
Posted image has been reduced in size. Size of original image (46525 KB) is 600 x 300 pixels. Click image to view full size and better quality!

Last edited by Dye on Fri Apr 07, 2017 23:14; edited 1 time in total

Javis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 18:20    Reply with quote

I definitely prefer a forum instead a Facebook group.

In forums each topic gets archived and are easy to search. Facebooks groups in the other hand, allow to post images and videos easily, but you can't create discussion topics and it gets a little bit chaotic.

I think updating the forum to a newer framework (if there is any) would be good

Edit: probably something like this? http://flarum.org/features/
another similar solution https://codoforum.com/

BTW, I'm a web developer, if you need a hand with this, just let me know.

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 20:05    Reply with quote

i don't use mobilphone so i don't have to problem of navigating here, and i'm not on socialmedia so this is the only place where i am in touch with the jamily.
I like the forum a lot.
Smile

***STONED AGAIN***

Zsoma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 20:44    Reply with quote

I don't see the smartphone issue, the forum works like a charm on iphone. And you know what Meike? I see no reason to upgrade JTalk to 2.0, this site has been rock solid point in a turbulent and continuously changing world, just leave it as it is if possible

Javis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 20:56    Reply with quote

Well.. Adding Tapatalk support is another possible solution for mobiles.

mr.az

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 21:35    Reply with quote

keep the forum, i don't like to be on fb everyday so i come here to read opinions and relax.

the forum is ok as it is, if u change all will be slower to enter and all, for me is ok.Like people say in the car world'' if it works, don't change it'' Cool
AFO=AUTOMATON

mojogonlopoto
JamilyTree Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 21:44    Reply with quote

The best way would be getting a forum page with the benefits of the classic forum and the benefits of facebook (as a page). I'm managing the Jamirolive page profile in facebook, and I miss the oportunities a user has to create contents as in a forum, because if you, as a common user post something in this kind of pages, it will appear in a small sided frame, not very easy to access to, not very easily viewable.

Adding compatibility to Tapatalk could be an excellent idea, because it will make the forum ready for mobile devices, even if the new forum has a proper layout in case you want to use it with the in-built browser in your tablet/smartphone.

Linking the forum with a facebook page or group... I don't know, maybe it helps to bring users, or to have something like a news feed. It's simply a different way to enjoy the forum.

And please, keep in mind the idea of making a crowdfunding campaign so the users of this forum can help you paying and mantaining the forum (or maybe a donations button to a paypal account?).

alyd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 23:54    Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the thing. If it's about hosting costs, then those that really want the difference of a forum could become patrons to support it - and then see how you feel after a year of that.

Otherwise, use social media. No reason you should have to pay for everyone else to chat when there are so many other ways of doing it now - and moreover, ways that are more suited to how people use the net these days.

I'm a forum person, like many of the people who've replied above, but I think that's probably an indication of how old hardcore fans of this band tend to be.

But if you want new people, then yeah, do a Jamirotalk Facebook group. You wouldn't have to close the forum immediately if you did that. If the migration wasn't successful, you could still come back to the old school Smile

Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 06:50    Reply with quote

alyd wrote:
But if you want new people, then yeah, do a Jamirotalk Facebook group. You wouldn't have to close the forum immediately if you did that. If the migration wasn't successful, you could still come back to the old school Smile

There already is a Jamirotalk Facebook group - nobody uses it!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/51516356824/

I think what Meike was talking about was making this website more like Facebook somehow... correct?

For my part, I like the structure of the forum organised as it is. And I have no problem viewing or posting from my mobile (Android). Improvements could be made here and there, such as being able to embed media (other than just pictures) into posts and things like that, but I really like the way subjects here all have their own place and how it's easy to tell which posts you've read and what is new since your last visit (Facebook is terrible at organising is posts - it feels like stuff is all over the place and it's so easy to miss things).

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 08:01    Reply with quote

You are all too sweet! Thanks everyone. This is what happens when asking forum members, if they still want to have a forum.

Yes, Andrew, is right, I am NOT planning to open a Facebook group. I think Janluka did open that existing group years ago. And a few weeks ago others have opend a jamiroquai automaton group which is used intensely and it is much fun. But it is chaotic, like you all mentioned. But I like it, how you can use it fast and quick and spontanously...

My idea was to have an own Facebook-like page. There are possibilities to have an own social media site with all this Facebook funktions, to share videos, pics and so on. I would like to have this kind of interaction with the jamily, but NOT included in facebook.

I already found solutions for this, without having to give up the forum. So we could have both?! Side by side on one site. We would have to think, what kind of topics should be discussed in the forum, and what else should be on the social media thingy.

I have to figure out, how it will work with traffic If you have the possibility to share lots of pics and videos, traffic costs will rise up... so maybe the idea of a donation button is not that bad...

Thanks for all your input. Keep it going!

Mouse

mojogonlopoto
JamilyTree Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 09:19    Reply with quote

CosmicMouse wrote:
...a few weeks ago others have open a jamiroquai automaton group which is used intensely and it is much fun. But it is chaotic, like you all mentioned. But I like it, how you can use it fast and quick and spontanously...

It's a just a different way. In facebook you can´t search for an specific post... it's about what you see in that moment and if you like it, you join the action. In the forum you can look for the posts in order and go where you want.

CosmicMouse wrote:
I have to figure out, how it will work with traffic If you have the possibility to share lots of pics and videos, traffic costs will rise up... so maybe the idea of a donation button is not that bad...

Allowing pics and vids stored directly in your servers could get the traffic you will support mad, I think this is one of the most important decisions you have to make.

msammon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 22:45    Reply with quote

good topic
i agree that a forum is something most now a days are used to. a facebook kind of setting is ideal or more control by moderators to be the only ones to create topics

mr.az

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 21:29    Reply with quote

yes, keep this forum, i don't go fb so much, but here i can come everyday to learn and check info, videos, etc

fb is a mess to find links or pics, i know
AFO=AUTOMATON

John Doggett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 22:49    Reply with quote

Hello Meike !

Thank you, through the years, for this very nice forum ! It's always a pleasure to read these posts and share some opinions.Yes, please keep the Jamirotalk ! It's a little part of the Jamiroquai history !(alongside Funkin !)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: