jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Toby Smith - Too young to die. :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 18:03    Reply with quote

Sad

***STONED AGAIN***

da boogie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 19:43    Reply with quote

R.I.P. 😞

Funkalero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 20:27    Reply with quote

R.I.P.

Toby, You will always be one of my favorite musicians and an musical inspiration for me. Thanks for your music and groove.

msammon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 23:24    Reply with quote

very sad. hope the band is dealing with this news as one.

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 00:36    Reply with quote

jamfan2005 wrote:
Wow, I hope that there is an official announcement from Jay or the band. Toby deserves a mention on the website main page so that people (not just the jamily) are aware can pay their respects. So sad Sad

If this is all true, and Jay has confirmed it, then it wouldn't be right for him to ignore someone who was beside him, helping him gain his popularity, being a sort of first recruit/first mate sort of deal.

Toby will always be part of Jamiroquai. Same can be said about ANY member who made the roster. Thing is, Toby's impact was felt much more than anybody else, therefore it would be shameful if Jay stayed silent about it.

I'll give it around a week to see if they say anything. After all it should be treated as a personal matter.

mr.az

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 01:02    Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
AFO=AUTOMATON

Adidas2076

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 02:28    Reply with quote

Curry I said the exact same thing to my friend today. I hope the guys says something because he was more than the other half of Jamiroquai for 5 albums. It was his work that was part of the foundation for the name and the band to still be around today.

On a personal note, this has hit me hard as a keyboardist myself. It was because of his work that got me into the way I play and sound.

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 09:03    Reply with quote

have you though that people has more personal ways to show respect than instantly write something in the media?
this is an important thing. Of course Jay will be touched by this sad news (much more than anyone in this forum, Toby was his friend)

***STONED AGAIN***

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 09:38    Reply with quote

Valerie, Derek, Matt, and Paul have sent their condolences.

Vintage73

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 13:32    Reply with quote

Jesus Christ. I am on a profound state of shock. Toby was one of my biggest idols. Really, no words. Just shocked.

msammon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 03:20    Reply with quote

jay will say something. hes not like a every celebrity. to him its a personal matter and im positive he will address the fans when he is ready.

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 08:36    Reply with quote

I'm glad he retired from Jamiroquai to be with his family. Life is short. You were the best Toby. Sad

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:21    Reply with quote

Jay Kay wrote:

3.45 am Good Friday

Yesterday, I found out the news I was hoping, and truly believed, would never happen, that my dear friend Toby, had passed away. My heart hangs so heavy with grief and pain, that I have found it difficult to write anything about this up to now. The recent success of the new album has paled into complete and utter insignificance to me on hearing this terrible news.

Toby had fought this voracious illness with his own indefatigable and stubborn brand of spirit and courage for a very long time, and until fairly recently, had shown all the signs of beating it, only for it to take him away so cruelly from his wife, his children, his relations and his many friends.

But it has also taken him away from the millions of people who have enjoyed his music, the music I had the privilege of writing with him, the music that has brought joy and happiness to people's hearts across the whole planet for so long, and the music that leaves an indelible and everlasting legacy for all of us. This is my only solace at this most heartbreaking moment.

I have so much to say about the man but I will try to keep it brief for now. I want to remember Toby as the guy who struck me with his magic the first time I heard him play in my small bedsit in 1992, the guy who made laugh and cry in equal measure as we wrote the songs you all sing, the guy who would entertain us all on our most arduous tours with his obtuse sense of humour, and the guy who would crack me up with his quirky sense of style and his unique and candid views on people, life and love.

And so I want you all to remember him this way, because all you have to do is put his music on, wherever you are, whatever your mood, and let his amazing alchemy of chord structure, his mastery of timing, and his effortless and eloquent solos, get under your skin, right into your soul, and make you smile at the world, not matter how bad it seems.

He has been a huge part of my life. Without him, there would be no JAMIROQUAI, and as I write this, the moon is clear and bright in the sky, and I think of him how it should be, riding his mighty horse across it, leaving a trail of stars behind him.

I will miss you so much Tobesman. I will always be so proud of you. Ride the wind buddy, nothing can stop you now.

Your mate, Jx

Lovely words from Jay. Beautiful tribute! bumpin' heart

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 13:48    Reply with quote

So he was ill. Without resorting to insensitive speculation, I wonder was this the reason he left in 2002? Perhaps he first became ill then. If so, at least he had 15 good years of life left - any interviews I've seen of him from his time showed him to be pretty chilled (on the surface anyway).

Very sad still. I didn't know Toby, I never met him, but he always struck me as that cool older brother your friend would have. The guy with the coolest records, the coolest gear, and know about 100% more things than you did. If Jay was our mate, then Toby was that older brother (even though Jay was older!).

Mofle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 17:00    Reply with quote

Very touching words from Jay. RIP Toby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: