jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

The Movies Topic! Submit your favorites and the horribles!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 19:18    Reply with quote

Haha! Awful! Looks like a war tank!!
Haha!!

D! (diego)

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 17:28    Reply with quote

Hello Jamirotalkers,

Here I am to make my own review of Spider Man 2, the best superhero movie...

SPIDER MAN 2 review by D!

Why am I speaking so much about it? Well, there are two main reasons. The first one is that I was a huge fan of comic books when I was a little boy, and Spider Man is my all time favorite superhero. I have tons of comic books and even all the toys from Marvel. And the reason number two, I saw it with eyes of a 8 year-old child. And I remain fascinated. I don’t know if some of you have felt this, but that happened to me two years ago, in 2002, when I saw the first movie. And a few days ago, I felt the same.

First things first. The opening credits produce goosebumps to me. The music is again the same by the master Danny Elfman, and is a beautiful montage of comic-book drawings from the first movie. Now the most important thing in the movie: the story.
The plot of the movie is written by Alfred Gough, Miles Millar and Michael Chabon, who is a comic book prince. And you can see that during the film, in a few important parts. But the thing with the story is that it is highly faithfull to the original story of the comic books, and this time we can get to know the characters deeper with more emotional complexity, something that Ang Lee tried to do with Hulk and, let’s face it, he didn’t do a good job (plus the special effects... sucked!). So, Sam Raimi -the director-, and the whole crew of Spider Man 2 tried to make the exact same thing, and this time we can “feel” the feelings of a superhero, when he is not combating crime.

So, in the first part of the film, we can see how Peter Parker is getting failing grades as a science student at Columbia University (TIP: with his teacher, Dr Curt Connors which later, in the original comic books story, turns into the Lizard, another Spidey's enemy) and loses his job delivering pizzas -- both because of constant interruptions to chase down bad guys as Spidey. This, and many many things more that even turn the movie to a "comedy" for some moments. The love for Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) starts to grow even more and we all know why he can't tell her the truth (if someone remember what happened with her and the Green Goblin, when this found out who Spider Man was, in the first movie) and, to complicate things, she is engaged with an astronaut who is J Jonah Jameson's son (TIP: which later, in the original comics, is going to be involved with the appearing of Venom, another Spidey's enemy).
And to make an even more interesting story, his friend Harry Osborn (James Franco) wants to see Spider Man dead, cause he is the one who killed his father, Norman Osborn (or the Green Goblin). And Peter Parker, who was his best friend, for some reason things are not going so well between them, since the only conversations they have it's about Harry's revenge.
All of which leads up to that fateful moment at the movie's midpoint when Spider-Man, his webs drying up because of Peter's depression, crumples up his blue and red mask and body suit and dumps them in a back-alley garbage can.
But "Spider-Man 2" doesn't really dive into a deep psychological drama. There is plenty of action here. That is when the new villain appears. This time, my favorite villain (well, this one and Sandman too -just a thing, Tobey Maguire also said it is his favorite villain and he hopes it can be on the third part-) Dr Octopus (or Doc Ock) who is actually Otto Octavius (the great Alfred Molina) and unlike Spidey, poor Ock is not the master of his powers but their servant, and he is (like the Green Goblin) related with Peter on some sentimental way too, which makes even more interesting the story.

Avi Arad, the producer, said about this:

"When you go out to find a villain, especially for Spider-Man, the key has to be he's connected to Peter Parker, or to Spider-Man, preferably to both. So far both movies took advantage of it. I think that will always be the golden rule. We don't have villains. If you look at the Marvel Universe, these are people who run into ordinary circumstances and they made a left instead of a right. There's not this predominant evil people who get up in the morning and say I'm going to conquer the world. We don't play with these guys. We play with guys that something happened to them, an accident, mutation, something very personal. And out of it, they change and they become the villain if you will. But they have to be connected to the story. They cannot be an outsider."

"Now we have a kid who not only has to stop this monster, but likes the man inside," says. "Peter knows that he and Octavius are a lot alike.The best movie villains are a reflection of the hero," he says. "The Joker is like Batman's id gone wild. Professor Moriarty is a double to Sherlock Holmes. Bad guys who represent a simple struggle of good vs. evil are rather humdrum. That's the key to the best villains. They're just the dark side of the hero. We all have that inside. You just have to be willing to look at it."

The fight scenes are miles and miles away from the ones against the Green Goblin. Not only the costume is more cool (and more realistic too!), but with those mechanical arms we have plenty of action! Just look at the bank and the train sequences and you will see. So, not only we have comedy, drama, romance but the greatest action too. Speaking about that, the CGI effects are better than the ones in Spider Man 1. Much better. There are times where you are not for sure if it is a cartoon or a real person.

Avi Arad also said: "This movie shows clearly that we can tell the stories endlessly. We have great emotional stories to tell, we have the growth, and we manage to especially in the Spider-Man books, the villains are connected to Peter. It's really easy to tell the stories, therefore, we feel very comfortable moving into the future."
A demonstration of this is the final of the movie. Don't worry, I am not going to tell you anything, BUT for the people here who knows everything about the comics story, you know what happens with Harry and his father, as well what happens with Peter and MJ, but if you don't know, you will get a big surprise! Great ending, by the way. Like a chapter from the cartoon's TV show. OK, no more reveals.
So, Spider Man 3 (May 2007) will be directed once again by Sam Raimi, and Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst will be in it. Those are good news. Although we don't know yet the villains. If you want to know, most fans wants Venom and Carnage; then the Lizard, Scorpion and Sandman; and finally Mysterio and Kraven. Let's see what the screenwritters do with this information.
Anyway, the best superhero movie is here. Not that Batman (the first two one, cause the last 2 were horrible!), or Superman are bad. No, I am not saying that. I am saying that is the best superhero movie in the way we can see the hero in it's totality. And the man behind it. And all the consequences of being a superhero. Is not just fights or different actors everytime (just to lo let you know, Batman changed faces 4 times! And only in the big screen), and the story goes anywhere. Spider Man follows every character and the same crew made the two movies, as well they will be doing the next 2 too.
* * * * * Excellent
I hope you liked my review, and I hope you didn't get bored. And also that you find it helpful. Any comments are welcome, my mind is open and I want to know what you think about this movie and superhero movies as well. As you can see, I am a big fan and I wanted to express my opinion here in Offtopic and Favorite Movies (a topic I created, well... specially for me, haha).
See you jamirotalkers on my future "movie" posts... ; )

D! (diego)

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 06:10    Reply with quote

Hello there,

I saw last night 'Welcome to the Jungle', ohhh what an awful movie!!!! What was Christopher Walken thinking!! It was not that bad (the effects were good) but too fantastic! This opens a new thread, which are the movies you saw that were really really bad?

D! (diego)

PS: Hehehe, wanting to survive this topic 2shhh

FunkEducation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 19:19    Reply with quote

My favorite movies are:

- Goldeneye 007
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Ace Ventura: The Pet Detective
- The Mask
- Back to the Future
- Shrek 2
- 2 Fast 2 Furious

and my favorite actors are:

Pierce Brosnan, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jim Carrey, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise.

FRA
Jamily Coach & Correspondent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 19:23    Reply with quote

....difficult topic!
...so:

1. Matrix
2.The italian Job
3. Frankestein
4.The beach
5. Scary movie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Rachmaninova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 21:10    Reply with quote

The Lord Of The Rings!!!! (fanatic!!!)
I made a dress like that for carnival,Arwen (Liv Tyler) is my favourite character,only for the love story inside the wole story,she is in love,and she will resign to the eternal life for Aragorn Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad .....and...and Aragorn is really cute! Laughing (Viggo Mortensen)

I imagine that almost all people here know the story of the lords of the rings,but if you don't know it...i can explain it at all! hahaha i already saw the three movies and read the trilogy. Rolling Eyes

kisses for the people here!

jamirolive.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 21:43    Reply with quote

1: there are something with mery (i dont know if this is the title in english)
2: gladiator
3: blair witch project

Rachmaninova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 22:13    Reply with quote

HOHOHOHOHOHOHO

There's something about Mary is the best film in the world!!!! hahahaha (kidding) i can't stop laughting when i see it!!!

crazy buffalo man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 16:46    Reply with quote

just recently watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. it's now my favorite!

the other favorites would be:
(in no particular order)

-Empire Records
-Fight Club
-Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
-Y Tu Mama Tambien
-Ocean's Eleven

..that's all that comes into mind right now..im sure there are more..
someday i plan to make films and hopefully they will become your favorite..HA!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

FunkEducation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 16:49    Reply with quote

Hey! Y tu mama tambien is the best movie! So i think Cuaron had lost his touch with Harry Potter 3. That wasn't incredible as the first two movies were.... Crying or Very sad

Rachmaninova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 17:04    Reply with quote

HAHAHA! i have been watchin the lord of the rings in my best friend's home all the weekend ,the three movies...and we saw about 30 times that scene where Gollum is talking to himself and he suddenly tells.... 2tiny no!
(in the second one) Laughing i love Gollum,it's like a doggie

crazy buffalo man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 17:29    Reply with quote

FunkEducation wrote:
Hey! Y tu mama tambien is the best movie! So i think Cuaron had lost his touch with Harry Potter 3. That wasn't incredible as the first two movies were.... Crying or Very sad

i know i loved that movie, i had all my friends watch it! Smile well..i totally respect your opinion FunkEducation, but i think Cuaron did a better job than Columbus in the Harry Potter Series, i felt he added a "creepier" feel to it. anyway, what's his other movie? i'd like to see that too! maybe if i see that, i'll see your point too Very Happy hehe

good vibes!

aYa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

cheeeba lover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 19:35    Reply with quote

Rachmaninova wrote:
HAHAHA! i have been watchin the lord of the rings in my best friend's home all the weekend ,the three movies...and we saw about 30 times that scene where Gollum is talking to himself and he suddenly tells.... 2tiny no!
(in the second one) Laughing i love Gollum,it's like a doggie

a LOTR fan!! Wink Wink
i am so into that triology;the movie the books..i cant wait for the next movie:"HOBBIT" it will be HUGE!!

Rachmaninova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 19:46    Reply with quote

Is going to be another one???? i didn't know! but the hobbit book it's almost the same but the central character is Bilbo Confused ...is that book was the sillmatrillion?? Confused Confused

...In all ways i wanna see Arwen's wedding...with Aragorn!!! and ...Eowyn wedding...with Faramir.... Laughing if the make a film with all that i wanna see ...nobody is going to see it Embarassed

At least the best thing of the three movies is the face of Gollum when he has the ring and he is falling Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheeeba lover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 19:50    Reply with quote

it will be from the book "hobbit",and yes the main charater is bilbo and he is fighting a dragon;sorry to dissappoint you but there will be no wedding coz bilbo is the only character there and gandalf of course from the previous movies..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Off-topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 2 of 49

Jump to: