jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

JASON KAY'S FUNK ENCYCLOPEDIA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians
View previous topic :: View next topic  

High Times

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 18:11    Reply with quote

JASON KAY'S FUNK ENCYCLOPEDIA
hi guys,

here are JK's favourite performers, he talks about in his interviews:

JASON KAY'S ESSENTIAL FUNK ENCYCLOPEDIA
Nine Hard-To-Find records in the key of R&B

http://archive.mtey.com/jamiroquai.com/articles/interviews/kay/details4-97/index.html

Marvin Gaye, "I want you" (Tamla, 1976)
Just beautiful. And very natural in terms of vibe and musicality. "After the Dance" is a perfect ballad.

Roy Ayers, "Evolotion" (Polydor, 1995)
This two-CD box set by my favorite funky vibes player is filled with rare '70s tracks like "Everybody Loves the Sunshine." Smooth keyboard sound and sassy vocals.

Donald Byrd, "Places and Spaces" (Blue Note, 1975)
I've been influenced by Donald and his funky trumpet for quite some time. Jazz-pop with great synthesizers. This is one of my all-time favorites.

Fatback, "Hot Box" (Disco Classics, 1980)
So delicious. This is one of the best albums of the early '80s: The musical content is amazingly original; so are the vocals and the horn lines. Check out "Backstrokin."

Herbie Hancock, "Headhunters" (Columbia, 1974)
The keyboard sounds are intense and the musicians are brilliant. This is very spacious funk. "Watermelon Man" and "Chameleon"-- what else can you ask for?

Ramsey Lewis, "Sun Goddess" (Columbia, 1974)
Very influential record by an incredible keyboardist. Earth, Wind and Fire played on a few tracks. I especially like "Hot Dawgit."

Bernard Herrmann, "Taxi Driver" (1976)
I've always been a big fan of funky film music. This is one of my favorites. It's got the best sax solo going.

Patrice Rushen, "Straight from the Heart" (Elektra, 1982)
Her voice, particualarly on "I Was Tired of Being Alone," has amazed me since the early '80s.

Stevie Wonder, "Innervisions" (Motown, 1973)
Need I say more?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

the other interview

http://archive.mtey.com/jamiroquai.com/articles/interviews/kay/q12-99/index.html

Jason Kay's Record Collection

Stevie Wonder: Innervisions (Motown 1973)

I think the first tracks that really hit me were Higher Ground and Golden Lady. I had never heard music that combined so many different elements... the rocky guitar, the clavinet, the weird synthesizers. This was what turned me on to the central core of our sound today. But I still don't know where people got all that stuff about me sounding like Stevie Wonder. Blaack vocies and white voices are very different. And hee's a much bigger guy. I stood next to Stevie Wonder once, and he was fucking huge.

Bob Marley & The Wailers: Natty Dead (Polygram 1975)

I'm noticing that most of these records were actually in the same room, and literally played one after the other. It must have been the same trip, and I turned into a black man. The magic about this album is the way he uses those backing singers, and the notes they hit behind him. You dream about having backing singers like that. Like most of these records, I got into this when I was about 17, when you really shape your outlook, so it's affected everything. if I'd been brought up with Kajagoogoo and Tight Fit things might have been different.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced (MCA 1967)

I remember sitting and being on a trip and not being in a good mood, which is rare for me, and listening to this and it all capturing that experience. Everybody loves this album, don't they? It's raw energy. It's Jimi. It's manic depression. It's very improvised, which I'm into. His drummer was a jazz drummer, that was the beauty of it. And what I love was that here was a black guy and two white guys in the backing band, and the white guys were British.

Roy Ayers Ubiquity: Everybody Loves The Sunshine (Polygram 1976)

I think Roy Ayers makes jazz understandable for people who are not into Thelonious Monk and Coltrane and stuff. I mean I'm not a trained musician, I do everything by vocals and by ear, and so he brought all that stuff into focus for me. And he's the master of the vibraphone. And Everybody Loves The Sunshine is just the living summer track. It's the real leviathan of that age - the fusion of dope-smoking fucking jazzers. It's Central Park on a hot evening. I met him briefly. There was him and Donald Byrd: "Er, er, I just want to say, er, er, I love you, Ray".

The Sounds Of Goodwood (Free With Motorsport Magazine 1999)
"The Rummest Record I Own"

Actually, it was a photo-finish with Jean Michel Jarre's Zoolock, which is an album that is very atmospheric and I love. But it must be my Sounds Of Goodwood. It's the sound of old '50s and '60s racing cars. There's an even better one, from Le Mans. It's like the sound of distance and I love it. I never liked cartoons as a child except Roadrunner. Remember that "Beepbeep! Neeeooooogh!"? I love that sense of speed. And listen mate, let me tell you: Ferraris are aural magic. They are music. OK, happy?

Donald Byrd: Places & Spaces (Blue Note 1975)

You don't know this? Fuck, man! Fuck! (paces around and mimes punching the interviewer). Donald Byrd is another one of these people, like Johnny Hammond, Roy Ayers... it's jazz in an understandable form. It has suck freedom, unusual arrangements, really funky changes, and it moves along. That's what I like, music that rolls along. To do music with that tempo and make it boogieable, it's about where they haven't played notees - the spaces. That's what they're masters of. They're masters of the groove.

Earth, Wind & Fire: I Am (Columbia 1979)

It could have been Rays. But it's I AM, and I'll tell you why. Because Boogie Wonderland is just the consummate disco track. I love the philosophy that's placed across the music... the stars and sun and planets and Egyptians. That very '70s awakening in America, everybody doing their thing and wannting to smoke pot and take drugs. I watched one of their live shows in the States and it was unbelieeeeeeeevable. I just watched it and thought, Oh, OK then, I'll become a producer.

Marvin Gaye: Here, My Dear (Motown 1978)

It doesn't quite get you first time. And a lot of songs are quite similarly paced. It's almost like the same song being subtly changed ten differennt ways. A lot of it, lyrically, is about the break-up of his relationship. There's a track called Anger, which is lyrically really brilliant; and there's a track called Time To Get It Together using, a think, a marimba, and it's just dreamy and lovely. He was a deep man at the time, but I think the charlie was eating him up. It's all about struggling and fighting, and you can feel it. Look (pointing at his forearm) it makes the hairs stand right up.

Sly & The Family Stone: Stand! (Epic 1969)

For just the sheer comical, clown-type funkinness of it. It's got roots in doo-wop, which you can hear. And the fact that it's a family; and those brilliant black voices. And also the sketchiness of it. The way people are out of time and the volume's so uneven. The end of Stand! is the biz; it just stands out as one of the funkiest moments. To me it just epitomises B-Boy funk, hip hop funk, miles before its time.

"The One Record I Couldn't Live Without"
Pleasure: The Best Of Pleasure (Fantasy 1992)

Have you heard any Pleasure? Have you had the Pleeasure? Again, I first listened to this when I was about 16 or 17. At that time I was really just finding my feet and turning over what I wanted to do,a nd this music is so fucking funky. The guitar solo on Joyous is the best, most precise, most rounded, fullbodied solo, with a beginning, middle and end, that I've heard. At the time bands like Pleasure were very much eclipsed by groups like Tower Of Power. But forget Tower Of Power, honestly. Bouncy Lady, Joyous, Glide, Pleasure For Your Pleasure, they're just unreal.

the other interview says :

http://archive.mtey.com/jamiroquai.com/articles/interviews/kay/raygun6-99/index.html

The most glaring gap between Jay's latest songs and the '70s music he admires -that of Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, George Clinton's Parliament/Funkadelic, Sly Stone, Gil Scott-Heron, Isaac Hayes, Miles Davis's jazz-funk, Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd, Pleasure, even Quincy Jones' more refined productions- is that most of their best work was charged with ghetto consciousness.

MARVIN GAYE

ISAAC HAYES

CURTIS MAYFIELD

MILES DAVIS

GIL SCOTT-HERON

PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC

thanks to mtey's site archive:

http://archive.mtey.com/jamiroquai.com/articles/index.html

Last edited by High Times on Sat Nov 26, 2005 07:50; edited 5 times in total

FunkEducation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 19:58    Reply with quote

amazing post High Times...
he have to use most of his influences in new albums...
that's a very interesting post! thanks for the info pal!

High Times

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 20:47    Reply with quote

mate!!!
these records are fantastic stuff!!!!
after reading interviews with JK and Toby i started to listen to this oldschool!!!

FRA
Jamily Coach & Correspondent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 22:07    Reply with quote

Interesting interview: i'm learning something i didn't know about all the music influences jay have had Smile
Thx H.T. Wink

http://www.myspace.com/frajamiroquaiaddicted
www.jamitaly.altervista.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

mr.az

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 22:39    Reply with quote

thanks so much hig times for the info
always is good know what kind of music listen jay
AFO=AUTOMATON

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 14:19    Reply with quote

great info
thanks high times

***STONED AGAIN***

anya korjik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 16:49    Reply with quote

Than you,High,Jay have a great taste-old scool of Funk;)

mrsmoon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 21:03    Reply with quote

High Times wrote:

these records are fantastic stuff!!!!
after reading interviews with JK and Toby i started to listen to this oldschool!!!

good
YOU know high times!! the same happened to meeeeeeee.... what can i say... hope a lot of people will recognize this great stuff... toooooo because of your excellent description Exclamation Exclamation
thanx... high 2hug
i really fell in love with that kind of music.... really in looovvveee....stupid me that i havn´t recognized it before.... Rolling Eyes

it´s only once or twice you´re in line with mr. moon !!

Cosmic Girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 13:08    Reply with quote

Thnx a lot for this great info. Hey and I also got the Jimi Hendrix LP

fram

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 20:57    Reply with quote

i think that jay have been inspired also by marvin gaye's what s going on expecially listening to blow your mind and its vocal phrases..

Samiroquai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 21:49    Reply with quote

I was in Fopp (good national independent music chain in the UK) in Manchester yesterday, and what do you think I came across? THE BEST OF PLEASURE! I remembered it from reading this interview ages ago. Amazon UK don't even know Pleasure exist (go to amazon.co.uk and try doing a search for them)! Only problem is it was £13, which is practically full price, i.e. far more than I'm actually willing to pay (bear in mind that I actually bought 'Everybody Loves The Sunshine' and Sly Stone's 'Back On The Right Track' for £7 each yesterday), but even so, I have a feeling I might just have to get back there tomorrow anyway...

Sam

T_R_S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 23:03    Reply with quote

That's his '79 'comeback' record, isn't it? Is it any good?

Samiroquai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 23:53    Reply with quote

What's whose '79 comeback record? Without having them here in front of me to check the dates I'm going to guess you mean the Sly Stone one, in which case:

a) Yes, I believe it is, and b) yes, it's VERY, VERY good indeed. Rather less psychedelic than 'There's A Riot Goin' On', but every bit as funky.

Sam

Black Devil Child

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 20:41    Reply with quote

Lewis' Sun Goddess and Gaye's I Want You pretty much rule that selection; although I have to say I've heard half of it from my father's vinyl collection. He (Jay) has a great taste in vibes and it just reminds me why I love the 'quai so much.

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 23:25    Reply with quote

Re: JASON KAY'S FUNK ENCYCLOPEDIA
High Times wrote:
CURTIS MAYFIELD
[

i bought this album yesterday..i love it!!!!
my favourite of course "move on up" and then "ghetto child"...

Last edited by Sandriche on Fri Sep 19, 2008 18:13; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: