jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

A lousy Jamiroquai concert in 1995 - Fallacy or reality???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai In Concert
View previous topic :: View next topic  

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 07:55    Reply with quote

A lousy Jamiroquai concert in 1995 - Fallacy or reality???
I wanna tell you guys a little jamiroquai related story which is puzzling me since a few weeks...

Some weeks ago I have been in Hannover at a birthday party from a businesspartner and talked with Miran's workmate (called Uwe) for some time. We started to talk about Jamiroquai, Jamirotalk and my festival plans for this summer, the whole Jamily thing and so on. He told me that he had been to a Jamiroquai concert once as well - here in Hannover.

I was like: Shocked 2scratchchin ... "..naaah, not possible. As far as I know Jamiroquai have never performed in Hannover. I would know this. You must be mixing up something."

But he kept maintaining his opinion, so did his wife and they even called a friend while we were speaking, who also confirmed to have been there on that Jamiroquai concert in Hannover back in 1994 or 1995. (They couldn't really remember the date)

Hm, ok.. possible... although it isn't listed on funkin.com - in the live appearances database.

But the strange thing is still to come:
Uwe told me that he was quite unamazed by the performance. He said they did the hit everyone knew that time (Must have been Space Cowboy) and that was really good... but the rest of the concert was crap. It sounded really strange, as if they were about to attune their instruments - kinda amateurish. And he was not alone with his opinion... the audience was that disapointed that they started to scream "boooh" and after a while half of the venue was empty! Before the concert was finished... Shocked Shocked Shocked

I was like: what the f*** ... I couldn't believe that. He must have been to another concert - he must have mixed something up. I only know jamiroquai concerts from that era from bootlegs.. but they were all fantastic! I cannot believe that it was a Jamiroquai gig he had been to. But he even mentioned the Didgeridoo... Rolling Eyes

Last week I got the proof. He gave me the ticket he has found. He was right, the concert was in 1995 - The Space Cowboy Tour and they did play in Hannover.

Posted image has been reduced in size. Size of original image (346838 KB) is 964 x 1526 pixels. Click image to view full size and better quality!

Big mistery in my head now... is it possible? Was that concert that bad? What happend? Did they have soundproblems? Was Jay ill or totally high or just in a bad mood? Or was it the fault of the audience?
I'd really like to know what happend that night.

A bad Jamiroquai concert - that just doesn't fit into my concept... balla balla

Mouse

funkin
JIP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 08:38    Reply with quote

Re: A lousy Jamiroquai concert in 1995 - Fallacy or reality?
CosmicMouse wrote:
Hm, ok.. possible... although it isn't listed on funkin.com - in the live appearances database.

As you correctly pointed out, its not listed at funkin which certainly doesn't mean it didn't take place! Thanks for posting the scan of the ticket - I've now added it to the funkin live section but I unfortunately don't know any more information about this gig.

I remember asking many years ago for a list of all live dates but the bands management didn't have such information. I think maybe i'll try and contact the tour manager and see if he has this information in an easy-to-email format!

the_doesman
Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 09:51    Reply with quote

well last year Rotterdam didn't really impress me either, Jay was constantly telling the tech to do this or do that, raise something, lower something. The balance of the sound was just not really great - now I knew Jami is just good so somebody probably had a bad day (soundtechnician) and maybe that was the case back then.

Musicians can have a bad day too ... too bad if it's your first ever encounter with the band.

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 09:56    Reply with quote

Also David, you could add this tourdate to your list from that era:
Melbourne, The Metro, Thursday March 23rd, 1995

I found this article a few years ago when I was looking around. The reviewer also gives maybe a *slight* hint at what Meike was talking about in the previous post...

Jazzy ‘prat’ gets high Down Under
The Age, March 28 1995, pg15.

Jamiroquai, Live at the Metro, Thursday March 23

"I can smell weeeeeed," said Jamiroquai frontman Jay Kay, to a packed house at the Metro on Thursday night. "I didn’t smell that in Japan."

After the super-polite audiences in Japan, Jamiroquai was ready to move the crowd. And the crowd was ready to oblige.

Jamiroquai’s brand of eco-friendly, recycled funk took its first album, Emergency On Planet Earth, to chart heights worldwide. The tour for the second album, The Return Of The Space Cowboy, promised much. An 11 piece band for starters, rare in times of tight tour budgets.

They hustled and bustled their way through the opening numbers, only stopping for breath at the 20 minute mark. Kay then felt relaxed enough to deliver a brief lecture.

"I’ve got two things to say. Your Prime Minister’s a roight wanker!" (Loud cheer)

"And there are 300,000 Aborigines in this country and so far I’ve only seen two. They were both pissed and asked me for a cigarette. You should show more respect for their culture!" (Lesser cheer)

He then welcomed the band’s didgeridoo player for the first big sing-along, Too Young To Die. (Huge cheer)

Next. The solos. Flute solo, trombone solo, keyboard solo, trumpet solo. Most of the crowd nodded politely. Some nodded off.

The band was keen to demonstrate its acid-jazz credentials but after the 10 minute drum solo, most of the crowd couldn’t care less. They just wanted to dance. A lot of people stopped dancing and started chatting during a half hour dead spot in the middle of the concert.

Kay at least gave us something to look at during the instrumental breaks.

Cavorting around the stage like the worlds worst mime artist doing the old glass box routine, you could see why the UK press dubbed him the Prat in the Hat.

But for all that, he’s a prat with a fine Stevie Wonder-inspired voice and energy to spare.

The audience suddenly snapped out of the haze when the crew turned the lights up.

"Why aren’t you all at the Slayer concert?" Kay rallied, as the band burst into a thrash metal parody – Satan’s Jism – or something very like it.

Thrash musicians they are not. But at least the crowd woke up.

The biggest cheer of all was reserved for the moment when a joint – and we’re not talking roast lamb – was brought from backstage.

After another energy sapping percussion solo, the band finally sprang into When You Gonna Learn.

Jamiroquai earned full marks for technical excellence and just a few yawns for self indulgence.

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:04    Reply with quote

Just dug up another article mentioning Jamiroquai playing at The Metro in Sydney on three consecutive nights in 1995: Sunday 26th March, Monday 27th March and Tuesday 28th March. So David, there's a few more for the list if you want them...

Songs in the key of Kay
Sydney Morning Herald, March 24 1995, Metro pg3.

Jay Kay and Elvis Presley have at least two things in common. They each had an identical twin that died at birth. And they have both been roundly criticised for appropriating black music for their own ends. Kay, the skinny white leader of the English group Jamiroquai, was not aware of the first coincidence, but he’s well acquainted with the second.

"I’ve copped a lot of that actually," Kay says. "Fortunately it’s died down lately. The more music I make, I hope the more people will take me for what I am."

Two years ago, many people took him for a Stevie Wonder impersonator. The bands jazz/funk fusion combined with Kay’s reedy, free-form vocals would sit comfortably in the middle of Songs In The Key Of Life.

"The comparisons were a bit of a pain, as well as a compliment. It’s not an intentional thing on my part," he says. Kay claims his musical journey started in the womb, when his mother, a jazz singer, visited clubs to perform. As a child he was surrounded by jazz and big band music. Ella Fitzgerald was on high rotation in the Kay household and later he got into Gil Scott Heron and Herbie Hancock. As he entered his teens in the early '80s, his home turf of Ealing, West London, became a hot-bed for a new type of funk, exemplified by the Good Times International sound system and DJs such as Norman Jay and Femi. Eventually it would throw up groups such as Brand New Heavies and The Young Disciples. In 1992, the scene also gave birth to Jamiroquai, lead by 22-year-old Jay Kay.

"West London is very multicultural and young people mix a lot," Kay says.

"There are all these diverse influences going on and there's always music around. Early on I discovered funk and jazz, and on into techno. But a funky tip is where I find myself most comfortable." Last year Jamiroquai released The Return Of The Space Cowboy, their second album in an eight album deal with Sony. It was no huge departure from their debut and Kay reaffirmed his status as either an uplifting song writer or a hippie space case – depending on your point of view. Let's just say that journeys of discovery, good vibrations and the desire to get sunshine in one's life were all on the agenda. Doesn't he ever feel like writing songs about the flipside? Kay pauses and says "good question", as if it’s the first time anyone has ever suggested this to him.

"There is a side to my nature that’s darker and not totally positive, but right now that’s not something I want to sing about. The way to move forward is to be positive. But I don’t think me preaching in a song is going to directly change the world. One person can’t do that. People change things – people power."

Jamiroquai play at the Metro on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:44    Reply with quote

i can´t deny i am a bit surprised..
i also assume that jamiroquai had a bad day that evening in hannover...several circumstances maybe..also that they didn´t have the routine yet...

thx meike and andy...it seems that there are still several things we don´t know about..
sounds like a mystery the jamily has to solve 3detective

maybe they have been in austria too and i just don´t know Shocked

__Janluka__

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:56    Reply with quote

..there are some gigs performed in Italy with a not really enough results.. from my own experience, these are the ones that didn't give any satisfaction due to a lot of technician problems:

Bologna, 1999
Roma, 2002
Roma, 2005
Trani, 2006

..i think it's the time to select an another sound engeneer..

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:56    Reply with quote

all this is very interesting

some years ago same happened to me with a friend of a friend, he told me about being in a jami concert in a date i tought it couldn't be and telling me that jay was so pissed with the audience and spiting to some first row girls
i just couldn't believe, but he gave some details about the concert (similar to what meike mentions) wich make me tihnk it was true! Shocked

it's also a big mistery that concert wich jay was ill and wallis playe dfor a round an hour......somebody even tell me that he had the audio bootleg!!!!

***STONED AGAIN***

Maxud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 15:33    Reply with quote

oh thats interesting!!!!!!!

well i can believe that there are a few concerts which was only crap...

all my friends that was at rock am ring told me that concert was crap...

"he come he play and go without a word"

but i think every star/band has such concerts in his "era"

nobodys perfekt

tell me if these are ligh years...
dont stop the beat...

EDDI

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 20:34    Reply with quote

All bands have there bad days i watching a clip of thr red hot chili peppers in 1992 on youtube last night and john ruined under the bridge for them he starts screaming down the mike, plays out of tune and solo's the last bit of the song ruining it. Reasons for this though was jon was heavily influenced in drugs and wasn't on good terms with the front man. But then again bands can have bad days its all part and pacel of it.

jameerica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:26    Reply with quote

angry 2biting

FunkEducation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 20:12    Reply with quote

what i DO NOT believe, is that a concert from 1992-1998 was crap Surprised
after that... hahah xD

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 20:38    Reply with quote

maybe the audience was not ready for the sound outtahere

jameerica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:56    Reply with quote

as i said before....

jameerica wrote:
angry 2biting

mojogonlopoto
JamilyTree Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 13:18    Reply with quote

FunkEducation wrote:
what i DO NOT believe, is that a concert from 1992-1998 was crap Surprised
after that... hahah xD

I think you are a bit obssessed with Stu. Well, there are many evidences to say that he was excellent bass player, and maybe the TWM album was the maximum expresion of Jamiroquai music (I think the album is recorded a bit loud, the sound is not very good balanced between trebles and bass) but... What about other bass players? Aren´t they good?

And why everybody only talk about Stu when they talk about "old" Jamiroquai? There were other many musicians in this band, exellent musicians, like Wallice, Simon, Rinaldo, and more... the backing singers have been changes too (And if you hear Glastonbury 93 concert, you will see there were backing singers)

Well, I don´t want to say that Stu is a bad bass player, he is an excellent bass player, and I love the first Jamiroquai era, with him playing bass. But every time you make a comment in this forum you are saying Stu, Stu, Stu (and not only you).

About the bad sound in some concerts, well, I think there is very hard to get a perfect sound always, because sme venues are not made especially to concerts. For example, the sound could have reverb. A theatre meybe is not prepared for high volume levels. It´s very difficult to make venues exclusively for concerts. there are many reasons:

- When the venue is square, the bass sounds reverb in the corners, and they create big distortions. The best place to do a concert is a venue with circle plant.

- Other bad conditions for this are the roofs. When you have a metalic roof (structure or roof), the sound rebounds hardly.

- Sound insulation is evry difficult to get, because you need to analyse each building.

- The most important reason is: The concert venues never have been made only for music events (normally)

And well, everybody can have a bad day.

About the concert with Wallice singing, I´ve heard about it, but the owner of the master does not want to trade it. So, we need to wait more, and more, and more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai In Concert All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: