jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RADIO - what do you think?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> High Times: Singles 1992-2006
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fesapo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 03:15    Reply with quote

RADIO - what do you think?
Radio's not *that* rock-n-roll as the original "match the song name with the description" gimmick on the official site promised. However, it is a litte jarring to hear JK say he wants to do some "crazy sh*t tonight" with this girl - it's been years since we heard some cussing on one of the band's studio efforts (the last being Just Another Story, I do believe - unless you count the version of Black Capricorn Day found on that Woodstock '99 double-disc).

However, it is a good song - but not as catchy as Runaway (such a great choice for a single). For some reason, it strikes me as a dirty-funk re-imagining of Steely Dan's '70s hit "FM." Making love in stereo, indeed!

- Greg
http://ferguson.complexed.ca

-SJ-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 05:09    Reply with quote

Check your PM box. Very Happy

__Janluka__

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 07:48    Reply with quote

..again this thread?.. Confused

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 07:55    Reply with quote

I was about to open a discussion about this one as well, but was busy with private things here at home. We had loads of internal team discussions about how to handle the Radio leak here at jamirotalk.

Please understand that we have been and will be very strict if you guys start to spread download links to the leaked tracks. Jamirotalk has never allowed this and we'll keep this rule up.
Radio isn't released yet, it has never been broadcasted anywhere officially, we are not meant to hear it yet, actually.
So, when links and comments about Radio popped up in the last weeks, we removed them, because we wanted to avoid the open spreading of the track.
Consider: if you make the leaked track available for download and post a link in an international popular forum, everyone in the world can see this link and get the track for free. This hurts the artists a lot and is so respectless. The argument: "hey, I will buy this anyways as soon as it is in the stores, so I don't hurt the band" doesn't count for me. What you do in private is your thing - if you know a DJ who has the song, heard this track on a promo from a friend, well I guess nobody will blame you for this. Most of us want to hear new stuff as soon as possible and we fans will buy the singles, the albums and everything, that's right - but 90% of those who can download it then, won't buy it! So, if this sharing stays out of official sites it is your own thing, risk and responsibility, but making it available for the whole world and promote the links here at jamirotalk - is so respectless towards jamiroquai and jamirotalk. You all know this rule, it's not new.

Consider, everything you write here can be viewed by everyone, Sony and Band included. Please, think before you write and show a bit of respect towards jamiroquai and those who support them.

Well, it seems now that the High Times album is around as promos and leak, so some of us have heard Radio meanwhile and are burning to discuss the song.
Feel free to say your opinion here but respect that this is not the place to make requests or offers for the leaked track(s).

Thanks,
Mouse

*edited for typos

Last edited by CosmicMouse on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:27; edited 1 time in total

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 09:37    Reply with quote

I received my promo this Monday and I've had plenty of opportunities to listen carefully to Radio.

I've always said that I hate rocky songs, at least coming from Jamiroquai. Jamiroquai is a funk band in my book. Songs like Black Devil Car and others like it definitely rubbed me the wrong way. I don't like them at all and I had already brushed Radio off as "one of those songs I can't stand".

But... never judge a song before you've actually heard it.

I almost hate to admit it, but Radio is really good. Ok, it's not Jamiroquai... but it is... do you follow me? It's weird... it sounds like Jamiroquai and still it doesn't.

For being a "rocky song" this is awesome. I only wish that Runaway had been recorded with the same geist. Looking only at music style Runaway is more my cuppa tea to be honest. But Radio is actually more interesting because it sounds much more organic.

Finally we get some real drums and it doesn't sound as clinical as Runway does. It's a great song in the "rock/pop genre" and considering the chorus is very strong I think this can do well at the charts too. Just imagine what Runaway would have sounded like if it was done with as much heart and soul as Radio was. Radio sounds so much more "alive" than Runaway. I think Runaway will sound a lot better live though... on stage it will be performed with the heart and soul it deserves.

What does Radio mean for the future? Who knows? But just as long as Jamiroquai doesn't turn their back on the funk/disco part for good I don't mind a couple of raunchy rock tunes as long as they are as good as Radio is. Radio is definitely ok in my book. Much better than I had anticipated.

I still won't give up my hopes for a future with the old jazzier/funkier style mixed with new style(s) though.

A little bit of Blow Your Mind, a pinch of Space Cowboy, a piece of Cosmic Girl, a cup of Canned Heat, a teaspoon of Corner Of The Earth, a drop of Starchild and some Radio according to taste. Wouldn't it be great? It's a win-win situation, both for the band and every fan no matter what style we prefer. Wink

Edit: P.S. Please don't PM me asking for Radio or any other song from the promo. I will not send it to anyone.

Fesapo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 13:23    Reply with quote

__Janluka__ wrote:
..again this thread?.. Confused

Sorry, I didn't see this thread anywhere else, and I wanted to offer my comments on the song. So yes, at the risk of you being rude, this thread again...

And I agree with the others in this thread - it's not incumbent upon me, or anyone else, to share this song. If you get a chance to hear it too, please don't distribue it or links to it. November isn't TOO far away, folks! Besides, it's not even THAT great a song (it doesn't fit very well with the rest of the greatest hits). I'd have prefered the hits album include another previous single, such as Half The Man, Light Years, or Supersonic.

- Greg

jamfan2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 13:53    Reply with quote

Fesapo wrote:
If you get a chance to hear it too, please don't distribue it or links to it. November isn't TOO far away, folks! Besides, it's not even THAT great a song (it doesn't fit very well with the rest of the greatest hits). I'd have prefered the hits album include another previous single, such as Half The Man, Light Years, or Supersonic.

- Greg

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I believe that you are no different but saying that a song isn't even that good before many people get to hear is just setting people up to be disappointed with it. Dislike if you will but I believe it is the best single (although it technically isn't a single yet) they have released since 7 Days (and that was the best single that they had released since You Give Me Something) but im not saying that Feels Just Like it Should, Don't Give Hate a Chance and Radio sucked. This song reminds me a lot of a more chilled out version of Comsic Girl (not the guitar as much as the bass and keyboard remind me) I think that they really brought back a good sound with this track. Much different than previous releases IMO. I think that everyone should really be excited for this one, its wonderful Very Happy

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 15:17    Reply with quote

jamfan2005 wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I believe that you are no different but saying that a song isn't even that good before many people get to hear is just setting people up to be disappointed with it.

That's not necessarily true. If people have low expectations it's even more likely that they will be positively surprised once they hear the song.

I'm a perfect example of this. Just because Radio was said to be "rocky" I had already decided it was crap. But once I received my promo and actually could listen to it I realized that I was wrong... so wrong. My expectations were lower than low... it was below street level. And I was definitely positively surprised by how good the song was.

jgrizz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 15:38    Reply with quote

OH this tune rocks out in a good stereo system!!! Bring on the BASS!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

ObiWanFunky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 16:06    Reply with quote

Great song, great lyrics. Strange Song, but i love all the changes inside it. And the backgroung vocals.....very sweet!

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 16:09    Reply with quote

i prefer the runaway lyrics to the radio ones but from the sound i have to say i like radio much more Wink

ROB U ROCK..can´t wait to hear that tune live Cool 7electricguitar 7note

Fesapo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 16:30    Reply with quote

Radio's not a bad song by any stretch of the imagination - to compare it with Steely Dan as I did earlier is, by all respects, high praise from me. However, it isn't one of their strongest songs either - it certainly doesn't measure up to anything the lads put out on Dynamite (a fantastic and glorious album - their greatest yet - full of pensive, seething, and writhing funk-history subtext). However, I will say that I like it much much more than the requisite Deeper Underground (a song I'm not especially fond of for its lack of melody, purpose, artistry, etc., which I've always found difficult to accept was the band's only #1 hit in the UK).

Runaway is a terrific tune, though, and the obvious choice between the two new songs to be released as a single. I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly regarding it. It's fast become one of my top-played tunes on my iPod in recent weeks.

- Greg

Last edited by Fesapo on Thu Oct 05, 2006 16:37; edited 1 time in total

freeetz!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 16:35    Reply with quote

Wow Surprised I expected this tune to bring very negative reaction on this forum, because most people here seem to dislike Jamiroquai "rock" songs.
Now since we started discussing it... well, I sorta liked Black Devil Car, but I really dislike Radio, cause, frankly speaking, I found it boring and tuneless (however, the chorus saves it from being utter crap). The verse reminds me of Cannabliss. And the lyrics about "crazy shit" are just... Rolling Eyes
It's all imho, of course.

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 17:02    Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the promo in case you haven't seen it on eBay.

Posted image has been reduced in size. Size of original image (230308 KB) is 428 x 572 pixels. Click image to view full size and better quality!

High Times: Singles 1992-2006 promo CD (left)
Something from the good ol' past... TWM French buffalo man promo "thingie" (middle)
Runaway original promo CD (right)
And in the middle/front... Runaway Remixes acetate promo CD with "press sheet"

deesh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 17:10    Reply with quote

I hadn't seen it. Thanks Jonas for uploading/posting the picture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> High Times: Singles 1992-2006 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: