jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Negative critics about the new stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

mr.az

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 23:54    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:
All I can tell you is the situation is very very bad for them right now because the poor marketing, we're a month withing the launch and we have been facing some amateurish marketing policy... But is this policy from the band or the label?

i wish we know about it

it could be mercury, after all, we dont know how this label works
(at least i dont)

somebody can ask the bandmembers?
i dont have them on fb, so i cant ask

if somebody is closer maybe they can answer why all this mess a month before the release Exclamation
AFO=AUTOMATON

alyd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 06:32    Reply with quote

It's gonna sell, but nowhere near as much as if they pimped it harder.

Jools Holland sells records so we've had that and Blue Skies being the Radio 2 record of the week was very good.

The music industry has changed, I don't think we're ever gonna see Jamiroquai handled like they were in the past - at least there are some promo videos and they have been gigging.

There may be more promotion to come over the next few weeks that we the fans know nothing about but when all is said and done the sales figures will speak for themselves and the label would be daft to downplay the record as that's gonna hurt their sales.

Turning the official website into a page with just one video is a dumb move - either relaunch the site or don't but this continuing limbo is crazy and I bet that's nothing to do with the band.

I'm sure the band were consulted on what Mercury were gonna do to pimp the album so we just have to see how that rolls out Cool

On the plus side if we get an actually significantly different special edition of this album as well as the regular edition that will be a very nice first and a step very much in the right direction imho - fingers crossed Very Happy

bigball123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 08:11    Reply with quote

Great posts Space Clav! I agree with nearly everything posted about the "Real" Jamiroquai. I too wish that they would go back to the old sound, and I am having a tough time embracing this new, edgier, harder sound that I really do not care for. Here's hoping to having at least 3-5 jazzy tracks on the new album.

funk4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 08:54    Reply with quote

I never wished they went back to the first album (I encourage their wish for evolution), but I did hope for something totally different then this new poprock-style. Jamiroquai is my daily cup of soulful funk, whether it's a classic like Blow your Mind or a more recent track like Starchild. But these new songs... I try to be positive but they just don't really work for me. They each sound very repetitive, they lack something punchy and surprising.

I'm not saying to repeat the nineties-stuff again, cause it's their right to evolve and I love the more recent albums equally. But choosing for a different style, doesn't automatically mean you will be good or succesfull in it. They had the gift to make people happy with their typical, fresh funky sound ( of the 90's and the 00's!), and I think it's too bad they have left this gift for this new album. Is a new road always a better road? We'll see...

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:17    Reply with quote

alyd wrote:

This is my point but you shoot yours in the foot with the McDonalds thing - even though you backpedalled that is actually the problem with what you're saying; you want your Jamiroquai McSound™ same as it ever was.

This isn't true. There was never a Jamiroquai McSound™ because Jamiroquai never produced junk food for the ears.

For me Jamiroquai is a special dish, like a paella. There are many variations on paellas. If you buy one you know what you're getting... but they never taste exactly the same. A paella is still a paella though. It will never be a pasta dish. From EOPE to Dynamite Jamiroquai had different flavours. But the ground ingredient was still present. With Rock Dust Light Star it seems (remember we haven't heard more than 1/3) that they've replaced the ground ingredient with something else. We did not expect the original recipe served in 1993. We expected a new take on the classic paella but it seems like we're being served a pasta dish instead. It doesn't mean pasta ain't tasty, but it's not a paella! For some fans it's too much of a difference. Maybe a risotto would've been the better choice if a change of style was necessary. Wink

alyd wrote:

McDonalds takings are at an all time low right now because they have not moved with the times and just produce the same old junk.

McDonalds is the Britney Spears of food. But they also have some competition such as Christina "Burger King" Aguilera and Lady "KFC" Gaga. We mustn't forget about Madonna "Fish'n'Chips" Ciccone making comebacks from time to time giving the more recent players some serious competition. Consumers of junk food choose the place that is the most convenient to visit when the tummy is rumbling. Consumers of paella are willing to travel quite far to get that special quality they expect.

alyd wrote:

The problem for me is I actually don't think they've evolved enough for fear of what you're saying - people walking away in numbers that matter. I think Jay is still doing essentially the same thing he was twenty years ago (differences only really apparent to big fans) and whilst I'll be glad to listen to RDLS there's a part of me that can see a guy who should be ditching the uniform he wears and the conventions of his sound.

That's what you think. Some will not agree. If Jamiroquai was a paella you may think that they're a risotto now. Essentially the same, rice dish as rice dish, what's the big deal?

Others think they've become a pasta dish. Still tasty, but they miss the sweet taste of saffron in the paella.

We should be thankful that they haven't become a burger.

alyd wrote:

You joked about an 'accordion polka album' but I'd be delighted if that's what he really wanted and let's not forget the accordion on the same episode of Jools Holland as him with Mama Rosin.

Well, even if Jamiroquai turned into another connoisseur dish such as Escargots (accordion polka). It's not for everyone. If Jay really wanted to do this, fair play to him. But I think doing it under the Jamiroquai brand would kill the brand. It would be much better doing it as Jay Kay or under a new band/project name.

Too much change can be very dangerous. Time will tell if the move into rock territory is too much of a change to be healthy for the band's sales and success among current fans as well as winning over new fans.

alyd wrote:

I'd just like to see the fire within him again, good though I think Jamiroquai have always been I think it's clear to those of us that know him best that his heart is not 100% in it anymore.

Yes, we all want that fire back. His heart may not be 100% in it anymore. But at the Paleo Festival I think his heart was glowing.

I don't think Jay's fire was killed by dropping sales or fans yelling for a return to the old style. Never. He is too much of a professional for that. Too much of a stubborn "doer". I think tabloids and music critics are to blame. Because all the tabloids could write about him was trash. And music critics always tried to belittle him saying he was a Stevie Wonder clone, always sounded the same. They also focused on his hats, cars and lifestyle more than his music. They never really gave him a chance.

Did you hear that the Dutch radio guy leaking Hurtin' said that "nothing has changed, Jamiroquai sounded the same as they always had". I mean, look... they're so blind and deaf they can't even notice a change this big. Even a monkey would be able to hear a difference between Too Young To Die and Just Another Story, not to mention any of those compared to Hurtin'.

They're probably just seeing the hat and being envious of Jay's success and car collection. As usual...

I guess it's time for you and me to agree to disagree about the material we've heard so far. I invite you to pick up this discussion after the album is released. Because at the moment we're just discussing 1/3 we can only speculate about the other material on the album.

I hope the album will be broad enough to please you and me and everybody else with a love for Jamiroquai while it also is successful among the random consumers so the band can prosper and continue to make good music.

funk4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:30    Reply with quote

[quote="Space Clav"]
alyd wrote:

For me Jamiroquai is a special dish, like a paella. There are many variations on paellas. If you buy one you know what you're getting... but they never taste exactly the same. A paella is still a paella though. It will never be a pasta dish. From EOPE to Dynamite Jamiroquai had different flavours. But the ground ingredient was still present. With Rock Dust Light Star it seems (remember we haven't heard more than 1/3) that they've replaced the ground ingredient with something else. We did not expect the original recipe served in 1993. We expected a new take on the classic paella but it seems like we're being served a pasta dish instead. It doesn't mean pasta ain't tasty, but it's not a paella! For some fans it's too much of a difference. Maybe a risotto would've been the better choice if a change of style was necessary. Wink

Great metaphor! Smile I see what you mean and agree.

alyd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 19:19    Reply with quote

I'm hungry Laughing

cosmic lola

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 20:07    Reply with quote

I'm a little disappointed after so much waiting and anticipation.
The band said it would be a funk album
It would have been better to warn about his change of style
To me, at least I got expectations on other songs.
I dont like rock
I do not like doing JMQ Rock
Why the change?

In any case, my unconditional love

cosmic lola

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 20:09    Reply with quote

Ahhh!!!
Overall, this is a interesting discussion and is very good can see the band and the fans in action.

Wink

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 22:10    Reply with quote

How put it short:

I understand how Rob feels all the negative response from the fan, isn't a good thing to show your art a get bad replies. Everybody want to be accepted. But I know how the fans feel because I feel the same.

Maybe it's the looooong waiting who made our expectation so high and the result it's an unexpected stuff which not always is recognisible from that we can name "Jamiroquai trademarks". I've been hearing that new stuff with calm, trying to get the moment I'll find the sparkle in it. Not yet. I preffer WNR over the rest of singles, but I found the videoclip disappointing. I would preffered some dances and more "team image", but for me is egocentrical and boring. Actually, I don't like how it's going the promotion more than the product it's being promoted.

It's true we need to heard all the album. I've never bought a Jamiroquai album without heard it first, and now i'm going to do the same. I must confess I'm "new" in that world, only 3 years as a fan, and I've never lived a new album release. I'm much that you can say "AFO era fanbase", so I've heart 6 albums in a row and get all the changes ands experiments, their evolution in music world. Maybe I was more prepared for what would come.

I've expected something I can't define, only know isn't that we've got 'till now. I must confess it makes me shivers, gives me an uneasy feeling of "why is this happening?". I'm really confussed, trying to wonder who made the decisions about this album.

Finally I want to say that time ago I used that same simil about music and love, only that I said that Jamiroquai was for me like an unfaithfull boyfriend that sometimes makes me happy and sometimes makes me doubt or being furious for the indiference (get that it was wrote when the "long waiting spare") but in the end I would let come back "once more" 'cause I have faith and it had that special thing that no one else have.

Sunnyday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 20:53    Reply with quote

I haven't read all the discussion over here...but my take on things:

I love Jamiroquai because they are so versatile, because they play funky music with a twist, because they are able to combine different music genres like no-one else can. They are very talented musicians who can basically pull off any genre.

Let's just admire that people Very Happy
And feel the hearts and souls that are put in it Wink

ObiWanFunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 03:36    Reply with quote

I don't understand what you guys expect about the marketing and promotion.....a big poster campagin??, videos on MTV??.....by these days where everything goes fast, mail by mail, twit by twit, chat by chat, post by post on facebook....one month is a lot of time to promote or make marketing actions.....isn't necessary to invade the client with one month of old kind of promotion.....nowadays Twitter, facebook, youtube are the most important marketing ways....even this site, or others like this, where people comment o recomend something to another in a very fast way, are one of the most important ways to promote something.....so why to worry? i think they just need the last 2 week of october to make all the noise.....and seelling records???? thats something prehistoric......gigs are the bussines and what feeds the bands nowadays......for example, no one as maddona knows as well this bussines as she knows.....and what she did....she broke up her contract wit sony and makes one with the company that produces her shows and merchandising.....becouse nowadays selling records is not the most important bussines.....The most important thing JMQI is moving!!! they are making great music to make great shows ALIVE, and they are excelent musicians......so this is what really matter.

almatri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 08:03    Reply with quote

True.
And I don't get why fans from the AFO era think Jamiroquai are betraying them Laughing. I can understand fans from the 93, but them ? They were able to know the band thanks to love foolosophy, but here they are dissing the sh** out of it, claiming that they want the old school sound back.
That's really funny to me hahaha

freaky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 18:24    Reply with quote

cosmic lola wrote:
I'm a little disappointed after so much waiting and anticipation.
The band said it would be a funk album
It would have been better to warn about his change of style
To me, at least I got expectations on other songs.
I dont like rock
I do not like doing JMQ Rock
Why the change?

In any case, my unconditional love

If you would have followed some of the stuff Jay said....he said something like
This album would be different and would not be for Everybody!!!
If i remember correctly, that was a quote from Ahaus 2008... Believe it was Meike who wrote it down.
(please correct me if i am quoting ppl wrongly)

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 19:09    Reply with quote

OwiWanFunky funky said a lot of true thing about XXIth century ways to promote.

I remember I said that I don't like how it's going the promotion. I'm not meaning the channels they use: social webs, Youtube and all that internet media. I mean the decision of use these songs and make these videoclips.

Personaly, I don't find the logic of that. WNR, RDLS, BS and Hurtin' are so different between them (maybe WNR and RDLS have some links). So different, that a blank audience (mean people who don't know the band, or not so many) can't say that all of these belongs to the same band. And I made the proof, that happens. Guessing that the discography wants the changes (besides artistical growth and personal needs) for catch more fans, being irecognisible doesn't works.

The videoclips are... unfortunetly, for not saying bad words. We know the band can made good things front the camera (again, that's a discography's job), I find these two cuts very boring ans repetitive. Confess the idea of continue BS in WNR is quite clever and the first have nice fotage, but nothing more. I think that it would be better some dances and team image, not only Jay absolutely alone in Spanish desert. It's not the kind of videoclip you search in Youtube and put on favourites, as time ago it wouldn't be the one on the TopTen by "audience votes".

I still have faith, but. Hurtin' for exemple, maybe they made a videoclip, and maybe that's good enough to see again and again, and blows the mind of new and old fans. If that happens, the promotion will work.

But I have no idea about what is going to happen... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: