jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

'Britain the poor man of Europe' - Jay Kay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:02    Reply with quote

'Britain the poor man of Europe' - Jay Kay
...and I thought The Age was a respectable newspaper, dunno what they're doing printing this rubbish Confused

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/people/britain-the-poor-man-of-europe-20101109-17l2j.html

Quote:
Jay Kay thinks Britain is "the poor man of Europe".

The 40-year-old Jamiroquai singer thinks the UK has "dumbed down" because of popular culture and believes other nations mock his home country because it is inhabited by "chatterers and shoppers".

He said: "The nation is being dumbed down by popular culture and we are turning into a country of gossips, this isn't Great Britain anymore. We keep talking about 1966 when we won the world cup and winning WWII which is nice to talk about, but it isn't great now.

"Britain is the poor man of Europe, Italy laughs at us – they call us the nation of chatterers and shoppers, and that's what we are. All we talk about is the Beckhams and Jordan. It really is Little Britain. All we get fed from television and magazines is rubbish."

The Canned Heat singer believes National Service – where people undergo a compulsory stint in the armed forces - should be brought back to the UK to make young people "learn a trade".

He told Recognise magazine: "If a kid gets caught with a knife, send them to work in the army. There they can learn a trade and earn some respect for themselves."

Jam Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:26    Reply with quote

They did a better job of reporting it than the sun did (mind you, that's not hard is it?)
Quote:
AFTER his foul-mouthed rants at DANNII MINOGUE and CHERYL COLE, then LADY GAGA, you might think JAY KAY would put a cork in it for a bit.

But the JAMIROQUAI frontman has now slagged off the whole of Britain. He whines in Recognise Magazine: "Britain is dumbed down and is the poor man of Europe. Italy laugh at us. They call us a nation of chatterers and shoppers."

Well if you kept it shut a bit more often, maybe they'd change their minds, pal...

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 13:10    Reply with quote

You would think his home country is supporting and celebrating him...
I reckon they are afraid of him that´s why they always make him look bad or whatever...
Jay Kay always has been a visionary..he sees things coming and knows about the CURRENT problems and " difficiult" topics ...and he is somebody who voices his opinion...but nobody seems to listen...the opposite.. they either make fun of him or try to shut him up...

When you gonna learn ,Virtual Insanity ,Twenty Zero One ,Don´t give hate a chance / The World that he wants , Rock Dust Light Star ...

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 13:24    Reply with quote

Mahatma Gandhi wrote:
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Jay is refreshingly politically incorrect sometimes... for good and for worse. I reckon some doesn't like it when he's challenging the status quo. Hence the media try to portrait him as a prick. Discrediting him by any means.

He's a square peg in a round hole. The powers that be doesn't like such people very much and will try to bring them down. You will encounter this in every layer of society... in schools, at workplaces, in entertainment industry etc.

russky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 15:18    Reply with quote

spot on Jonas but Jay isn't a visionary however he has read lots of Bill Bryson, Stephen Hawkings & Scientology & that's where I think he is basing his opinions with regards to the earth.

Although he does have life experience & doesn't suffer fools gladly.

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 19:28    Reply with quote

¡Bravo!

I admire Jay for say all the "not good" things about his country and include himself in the pack of criticism.

Note he says:
Quote:
Britain is the poor man of Europe, Italy laughs at us – they call us the nation of chatterers and shoppers, and that's what we are. All we talk about is the Beckhams and Jordan. It really is Little Britain. All we get fed from television and magazines is rubbish."

Still feeling British anyway Laughing

I've when living in Britain 3 months and I remember a day when I saw the magazine section in a shop. There was a copy of "The Sun" who has a middle page sized article about how a peasant from Virginia has found the steps of Satan in his countryfield. I was totally "OMG, how people spend such large space to talk about this prank?!" Also, I checked that even serious newspapers were written in some gossip way (must confess it was funnier read those than the papers from my country).

In Spain artists are in the side of the current goverment, which is a total failure and is driving all of us to an (even worst) economical crunch. Don't expect to find some consistent criticism from them, artists and the rest of population seems to live in alternate universe 'cause they never face to our side. It's a sad and biased world when you can't figure what nice could we to saw a well-know people calling things for its name and saying "bad" when its bad.

Returning to main subject, that article it's not a thing to get crazy about. Stereotypes are in all places (although he showed some truths here), I could say things about Britains further worse than the things Jay said here. But Britains can say bad things about Spanish people too. I remember when in the academy people asked things about Spain and all of them had a vision of a place full of lazy people who work few and bad and only want to go out and drink. Also I found a book titled "Spain for xenophobics" which ranted about our country. If you didn't mind it was quite funny, but really offensive.

Everyone rant about everywhere. Rolling Eyes

So well, I agree with Jay in the way that he dares to say what is happening around, also he's very tactful here (for his own standars Laughing ) so nobody can feel offended for what he said.

BlackCapricornDay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 05:55    Reply with quote

[quote="Space Clav"]
Mahatma Gandhi wrote:
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

OMG .. that is so GOOOD !!

I think it shows that he really cares about his country, why everybody can't see that?upps must correct : the (trashy) media can't see that? btw 1 or 2 papers didn't represent all everybody's opinions, they just made it that way.. Jay vs the world ..

Anyway in every country we are all now living in this 'celebrity' world .. Sad

Jamiroquanna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 15:42    Reply with quote

Space Clav wrote:
Mahatma Gandhi wrote:

Jay is refreshingly politically incorrect sometimes... for good and for worse. I reckon some doesn't like it when he's challenging the status quo. Hence the media try to portrait him as a prick. Discrediting him by any means.

He's a square peg in a round hole. The powers that be doesn't like such people very much and will try to bring them down. You will encounter this in every layer of society... in schools, at workplaces, in entertainment industry etc.

I personally share Jay's frustrations about this country. Unless you have grown up here and seen the changes, then you cannot understand the sadness of British traditional life disappearing right before your very eyes. This country has always been interestingly diverse, but I have never seen it behave so uncoothly. Am assuming that the "change" applies to other countries but Britain is unique in this argument.

"Home" is no longer the same and the culprit is: "Media hysteria". We're bogged down with people [reporters] trying to make a quick buck from everyone's words; be it a successful actor, or a wannabe. Anything to sell newpapers / magazines / generate interest, whether positive or negative. People are just obsessed with what "her next door" is doing but are not concerned as they used to be. Everything is more grotesque nowadays too. Sure, people always used bad language, but now it's the "norm". Kids freely carry knives with them, as if it's just like "loose change jangling in their pockets". Most fashion is looked upon as "cool", but it is far from that. Youngsters look like tramps who need a good wash. Footballers earn millions, whilst nurses are disrespected and spat upon (believe me, I know a lot of people in the nursing profession!).

Where's the Britain that I was born into? Gone and never coming back is the answer.

As Jonas writes: "The powers that be doesn't like such people very much and will try to bring them down. You will encounter this in every layer of society... in schools, at workplaces, in entertainment industry etc." - this is spot on! If you look closely, our country has been lead by another force for some time now, which has resulted in a destructive, obscene country - I won't discuss this on here, but if you want to read more about it, you'll have to dig deep.

If you close your eyes to the above, you can live here very happily. If, like Jay, you can hold onto the "Britain that was" in your memory, there's something so wonderfully romantic about this country that makes you proud to be British. On the other hand........

However, if you want to fight your way to the very top, it's a case of who you know and what you are, as opposed to what you know and what you can do.

Just my two pence worth Wink

teecheedeedee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:50    Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad, I think the same about New Zealand. Our drinking culture, our general lack of ambition and vision really gets to me. For me, it's a real sign of intelligence when someone rejects the popular culture around them. I think cynacism and skepticism are superb traits. So keep it up!

At least Britain has decent media like the BBC, and probably a few others to boot. On a similar note, Women's magazines here are pretty apalling/ patronising as well (though as a guy, of course they arne't meant to appeal to me). These mags seem generally to promote fads, shallowness and antiintellectualism.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Lovefoolish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 18:57    Reply with quote

If anyone is the poor man in Europe it has to be my country IRELAND. I'm at the moment listening to the news telling us that the rest of the EU including Britain are bailing us out with a wopping 80 billion. The bloody bankers and politicians have wasted all the taxpayers money and no doubt when they get this bailout they'll piss it away again and in a few years we'll be grovelling for more. SO in my opinion Jay is wrong my country is poorest........So there....... Embarassed

Rita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 14:42    Reply with quote

i actually think that he's right about Great Britain starting to be Little Britain instead. i'm concerned about my country - portugal. i really like it but we are kind of sinking (and not just economically). but british people should be concerned aswell. about the "chaterers and shoppers" there i don't know anything but here is the same. we don't have money and we still buy more than what we can afford. plus, gossip magazines and reality shows are the biggest "sellers". and that's sad.
here is an article i found about Portugal, UK and other European articles - what a shame!! Embarassed

Quote:
The acronym "PIGS" (Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain) already seems to have passed into history. This is because what is now the 'mouth ' of markets is the ticker symbol 'STUPID', a situation that should concern the United Kingdom. It is that despite not being one of the 'PIGS', the country of his majesty is considered 'STUPID'and how the acronym can be contagious, the UK has to distance himself from others.

Snorry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 15:23    Reply with quote

Quote:

The Canned Heat singer believes National Service – where people undergo a compulsory stint in the armed forces - should be brought back to the UK to make young people "learn a trade".

funny coming from the man who lost his virginity with a thai prostitute and earned his life selling dope on the streets.

Galaxyfunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 01:01    Reply with quote

Space Clav wrote:
Mahatma Gandhi wrote:

Top post... people are waking up, its good to see Very Happy

soooo glad to see this thread. he knew the score from a very early age.

scammmmmmmmmmm Wink

Galaxyfunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 01:03    Reply with quote

Re: 'Britain the poor man of Europe' - Jay Kay
Andrew wrote:
...and I thought The Age was a respectable newspaper, dunno what they're doing printing this rubbish Confused

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/people/britain-the-poor-man-of-europe-20101109-17l2j.html

Quote:
Jay Kay thinks Britain is "the poor man of Europe".

The 40-year-old Jamiroquai singer thinks the UK has "dumbed down" because of popular culture and believes other nations mock his home country because it is inhabited by "chatterers and shoppers".

He said: "The nation is being dumbed down by popular culture and we are turning into a country of gossips, this isn't Great Britain anymore. We keep talking about 1966 when we won the world cup and winning WWII which is nice to talk about, but it isn't great now.

"Britain is the poor man of Europe, Italy laughs at us – they call us the nation of chatterers and shoppers, and that's what we are. All we talk about is the Beckhams and Jordan. It really is Little Britain. All we get fed from television and magazines is rubbish."

He told Recognise magazine: "If a kid gets caught with a knife, send them to work in the army. There they can learn a trade and earn some respect for themselves."

Very Happy quoted for the sheer bumpity bump

Galaxyfunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 01:06    Reply with quote

although not the national service bit...

lets not encourage the money making military, false conflict and war games

lets train young uns on the land... learn to grow their own food, keep animals etc etc.. raw skills and experience have nearly vanished.. like he says, we rely on shops FAR too much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jay Kay All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: