jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Would you like an Emergency, ROTSC and TWM Remaster???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

matutevip

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 13:33    Reply with quote

Would you like an Emergency, ROTSC and TWM Remaster???
A couple of days ago, i was talking to my girlfriend that it would be awesome to have a remaster of the three first albums, because i think that their sound is kind of soft and not the best quality. What do you think??? would you like a remaster???, imagine one with some new versions of the old songs as extra bonuses!.

What do you think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Javis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 13:54    Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'd like that.

the volume in the recording is becoming more louder with the pass of the time and most of the remastering done nowadays are only increasing the volume of the tracks, making them to loose quality.

edit: I found an interesting article about it in the Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 17:39    Reply with quote

Javis wrote:
I'm not sure if I'd like that.

the volume in the recording is becoming more louder with the pass of the time and most of the remastering done nowadays are only increasing the volume of the tracks, making them to loose quality.

edit: I found an interesting article about it in the Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

true, plus, the sound of the "old" jamiroquai records is awesome

Nesta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 17:44    Reply with quote

I would remaster ROTSC only. The levels on that are low. Very low. If you listen to EOPE and TWM you can tell they levels dipped big time for ROTSC.

Emergency levels are great
TWM levels are great
ROTSC levels are too low.

While it may seem that the levels are going up with each passing year in fact they are not. When you master something you get all the levels to industry standards which basically means "radio airplay" standards. So that is the top level. What gives the impression of higher volume is the increased compression put on the mixes. Too much compression is a bad thing. Way too much comrpession is a very bad thing.

This is why some t.v. commercials are so loud compared to the show you are watching or other commercials. There is only so much volume the FCC will allow here in the US, so the way they get around it is crank up the compression. The volume is still the same but the compression gives the impression that it's otherwise.

matutevip

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 18:24    Reply with quote

Nesta: thanks for the explanation. Regarding the sound of the old records, i think is not of a great quality, besides that the volume is low, the quality is not thaaat good. I know that is a sentimental thing, but try to listen to them, listen to the version of Blow your Mind from Emergency and then listen to the greatest hits one, and you will see the diference in quality. Specially in the drums, and percussion.

jamfan2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 01:44    Reply with quote

If they remastered them properly, I would love TWM. ROTSC and EOPE would be nice too, but TWM is when I really got into Jamiroquai so it has a special place in my heart

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 04:59    Reply with quote

No.
They will f*ck it up. I don't know what's happening lately with all the sound engineers, they've all become deaf or something, a generation of morons behind the sound desk. They put all things loud, loud.
I've read an article long time ago, they prepare the tracks so they can be heard on Ipods and all that stuff. So, they need to somehow screw the sound so that high and lows could be heard through those small headphones.
It's terrible.

Not everything needs to be loud. Manifest Destiny doesn't need to be loud. I can understand it with a track like Little L that is meant for the dancefloor, but the sound of this records add a lot to their quality.

ophone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 07:13    Reply with quote

I totally agree with you Diego!

matutevip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:28    Reply with quote

I am not saying that all they should do is crank up the volume, i am saying that they should update the quality of the sound thats it!. Dye wouldnt you like to hear a beautifull song as "manifest destiny" in high quality??

John Doggett

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 18:17    Reply with quote

Check the difference in the sound between Stillness in Time album version and the Vinyl Version on the maxi single: this last one got a better and a pure sound. I wish one day the album may be remixed like that.

But I'm still enjoy this album! Wink

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 08:32    Reply with quote

I had a quick look at one or two waveforms of the tracks off RDLS when I ripped it and the "loudness" looked pretty high. In Adobe Audition you can "hard limit" the amplitude to boost the volume without clipping. A bit unnatural, but you don't get distortion that way. It looked like it had had something like that done to it to make it more punchy or whatever.

From my limited knowledge of audio stuff like this I would think its obvious that proper remastering would mean going back to the original multitrack source and going from there... I dunno, a remastered album might lose some of its charm and be too "clean" if you know what I mean.

I guess it couldn't hurt - it's not like you'd have to listen to them...

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 00:16    Reply with quote

I would be more receptive toward a remaster if Sony brought in Al Stone. I doubt they would do that, however, so I'm opposed to the idea.

I wouldn't mind if Sony had Al Stone re-produce/master AFO & Dynamite. I bet he could make those albums sound a lot more interesting.

FunkyDonkey
Officer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 09:25    Reply with quote

Just an additional information: The singles were remixed on the Greatest Hits.

freeetz!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 14:52    Reply with quote

But Al Stone was the man behind the mixing desk for TRotSC, if I'm not mistaken. So what's the point of bringing him in for remastering, if the album was his work in the first place?

I would really like to hear a remastered version of TRotSC, because the original album has some kind of dimness in the sound, if you know what I mean.

matutevip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 15:11    Reply with quote

Quote:
some kind of dimness in the sound

I understand what you are saying, and if what you are saying is that the sound is like smothered, we are thinking alike. What i feel when I listen to the album is like they are playing inside a glass box. I mean the bass slapping in mr. moon it doesnt sound as it suppose to sound. Guys i love those albums, dont get me wrong, and i dont think that remastering the sound will kill the vibe of the albums. if done right shouldn't kill anything, it should make it even better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: