jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RDLS - 3 months later
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

hookedup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 08:33    Reply with quote

RDLS - 3 months later
Now that everyones had sometime to listen to the new album over and over again, is anyones opinion changing about it? I'll admit I was really worried after hearing blue skies and white knuckle ride. However, when the album leaked I really liked some stuff especially persuader, good in the hood and tcdt. I liked lifeline a lot then and I still kinda do. Just not as much now. In fact, I'm not as high on the album as I was back in November. I guess I'm actually kinda disappointed. Idk if my expectations were just somewhat low or not then. I find myself still listening to the old stuff way more than the new album. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm already hoping theres another album in three years at the most. Also, would you say the album has been a disappointment in terms of sales too? I was looking at some figures and it didnt look too good.

Sorry for rambling. Thats what happens when I'm up at 3 am with the eope poster looking right at me on my wall.

Cosmic_Tanja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:13    Reply with quote

Hi hookedup!

With me it's different.
When I first heard White Knuckle Ride I thought it sounded like a song by the VENGA BOYS. I remember a lot of people thought it was a remix. But that was cause of the bad youtube quality. Still when I had the high quality recording I thought it sounded like a song by this 90s band.
And then I imagined Jamiroquai "movin on" in timeline.
You know like the did 70s stuff. then 80s stuff and now they're in the 90s ;o)
of course that's bollocks, Jamiroquai still has a unique sound, even if some say it's completely different now.

Today I LOVE White Knuckle Ride, it makes me wanna run and listen to it soo loud.
Blue Skies was just an okish song at the beginning, I am quite bored of it now.
With the rest of the album: I listen to it EVERY day and MORE than I listen to the old stuff. This never happened to me before. usually when a new album comes out I listen to the old and new songs in a mix. But this time I am really in love and not disappointed in the album!

I agree with you on the sales of the album. I have the impression it kinda "flopped".
I dunno why, but this bothers me. I shouldn't care, but I do: I want every Jamiroquai album to be a #1 hit world wide.

Júlia*

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00    Reply with quote

hey!

to me, it is REALLY different. i am still in love with rock dust light star album, and i think it is one of the greatest ones of the decade! simple. Cool

www.twitter.com/jupennylane
www.twitter.com/jamiro_brazil

cheebalover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52    Reply with quote

Still i think its a fantastic album! but i am not hooked anymore..it lacks the love foolosophy high paced kind of song

hookedup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 19:20    Reply with quote

Yeah I just don't know how the sales might affect the future of the band. Then again, it might not at all really. Jams got an awesome fanbase and I'm sure the tour will be a huge success. While id kill for them to have another huge worldwide hit and fame like virtual insanity days, I just don't think its gonna happen again. who knows what direction another album will take

funk4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 22:40    Reply with quote

About the sales, I think it's normal for an "old" group like JMQ to not score as high as their first years. The youth decides the sales, and they don't know Jamiroquai that much (wich is normal, after years of silence). The album is quite alternative compared to the top-10 songs.
The only nineties-groups who can keep being worldwide famous are U2 or the Peppers, but that's about it.

But don't worry, it's all about the concerts these days, and they are gonna be great! No doubt ful crowd everywhere Smile

fUnK[iLo]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:15    Reply with quote

Well.. I hadn't really thought about that until I read this thread.. Yes, it's quite different for me now.. When I bought the album I used to listen to it a lot, but now I find myself skipping almost half of the tracks when I listen to it Confused And yes, I'm listening EOPE and TROTSC much more than the rest of the albums.. (quite curious for me, too, because I've always listened to TWM and AFO more than the others)
I wouldn't say I'm disappointed of the album (in fact I think it's great!) but maybe I'm not in a good mood for it!

And regarding the album sales, I'm not really surprised! And again, I'm not saying this because I think the album is not good enough. I think the problem nowadays is (as funk4 said) the youth's musical taste. They don't know Jamiroquai (as well as some other great bands and musicians), and prefer the pre-manufactured, money-making artists, which are the ones who are on the top of the sales rankings

I really know this little Corner of the Earth it smiles at me...

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:19    Reply with quote

Still loving it!!!
For me whenever I listen to jamiroquai I mainly listen to RDLS...I love listening to it in the car.I am mainly skipping Never gonna be another and two completely different things.

Album sales don´t reflect on the quality of a product. Jamiroquai is too complicated for the taste of the average radio listener.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:42    Reply with quote

I'm still listening, actually letting it play through now!
And there's still so much other music to hear, so it doesn't get old.

I think the sales will be skewed today, because of how people get their music. But radio popularity increases how music becomes part of culture.

And not sure if the album has even been marketed in my side of the world.

Agree Sandriche:
Quote:
Jamiroquai is too complicated for the taste of the average radio listener.

They are one of those bands which will always have a great following. Very Happy

Javis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:45    Reply with quote

I love the album, I preffer to listen to this one rather the older ones for now. All tracks are very good, some of them are great.

There are, of course, tracks I don't like so much, like RDLS and blues skies. but, in general, I think this album have a great quality.

The problem I see with this album is the same I saw at the very begining.

This album doesn't have HITS. The singles on this album aren't catchy enough to make it comercially successfull.

LLCoolJR
Officer & Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 09:28    Reply with quote

When I listen to it, it's in in the car and I'm skipping RDLS, Blue Skies, GTMD, NGBA and AFITH (acoustic). I still love the other tunes, Hurtin' has been grown on me due to the fantastic live-versions. I don't dig the album as I did in the beginning, but I still like and dislike the same songs. And I still think it is better than their previous 3 albums ('HT: The Singles' excluded).

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 19:11    Reply with quote

I still think it's fantastic.
Of course I have my favourites, most played and less played, but its first awesomeness hasn't faded away at all, I still feel groovy every time I play it Cool As I said after listening to the album for the first time, I think the band has found an interesting and accurate "new" direction.

... and I still think Hey Floyd is the best thing they've done in years

Vincenzo89

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 22:48    Reply with quote

I think this Album is better than AFO and Dynamite ... I can not even compare RDLS and Synkronized the second one is awesome.
After 3 months I found boring a lot of track and I can save only : Fast Persuader , HF , TCDT .
I thank God that Jamiroquai done 4 Albums that are part of my everyday life... i'm sure that the old sound never will come back so we have to enjoy what Jay Kay give us that is still decent music.
The only hope to listen to something Magical for me is have unreleased track of 93'-99' .

Just my point of view.

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 00:33    Reply with quote

When I first heard WhiteKR and then BlueS I had a bad feeling.... but now that i have the new album in my hands... I'm impressed of how good it sounds..... i only skip NeverGBA. And I really love HeyF (a masterpiece)Lifeline, Hurtin, AllGITH, TwoCDT SAFP (other master piece) and well i really like Smoke&M, GoodbyeTMD and RDLS
but still my stereo plays:
Fisrt: AFO
second: RDLS
3: TROTSC
4: TWM
5: S
6: D
7: EOPE

Rita

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 14:38    Reply with quote

so, 3 months after the album release, i can say that is has been growing and growing on me and i still think it's fantastic!! there are just some tracks i don't like, though, like never gonna be another and goodbye to my dancer...
so here are my favorite tracks in order:
1. Two Completely different things
2. White Knuckle Ride
3. All Good in the Hood
4. Hey Floyd
5. Lifeline
6. Hang it over
7. RDLS
8. shes a fast persuader
9. smokes and mirrors
10. blue skies
12. goodbye to my dancer
13. never gonna be another

as for the sales, i also think that ilegal downloads are increasing affecting the business (not only for jamiroquai) because a LOT of people nowdays prefer to do it: its cheaper and easier. just not correct : (

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: