jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RDLS - My Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 19:07    Reply with quote

RDLS - My Thoughts
Hi fellow Jamiroquai fans,

I've been meaning to write this for a while, but refrained from doing so earlier as to not be a buzzkill to the high most of you seemed to be enjoying with the release of Rock Dust Light Star.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill or a "troll" in any way as Jamiroquai is the last great thing to ever happen to music. Jamiroquai has been light years ahead of any and every artist and they have filled my world with a seemingly endless amount of light and love.

This isn't necessarily an in-depth review as I'm not going to go into extreme detail over the album. Instead, I'd like to discuss Jamiroquai's current album/state on a more philosophical level and reflect on the eras from the beginning to where it's come to. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised if I receive flaming, even though anyone with enough sense will know I'm trying to be fair and rational.

Here goes nothing:

Rock Dust Light Star is simply put, NOT a JAMIROQUAI album. There is nothing funky about it. In fact, it's one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had, musically. There was never a point where I even remotely liked it. From the first listen, I wasn't turned on. The numerous subsequent listens and retries afterward didn't change that, either. Everything about this album is mediocre IN RELATION to previous Jamiroquai outings. If you want to compare it to other current mainstream music, it's actually a godsend as it is REAL music, with real singing and real musicians, all done with class (mostly). The announcement/release of just the cover art of RDLS was already a clear red flag and an unfortunate sign of things to come.

RDLS sounds more like it should have been released under Jay Kay as a solo artist rather than the Jamiroquai band name. Jamiroquai is practically dead in the purist sense, now that even Toby Smith has been gone. As a side note, we can't forget the funky guitar Simon Katz contributed, along with the HUGE integral sound of Wallis Buchanan and the Didgeridoo. I think we all almost automatically associate the sound of the didgeridoo with Jamiroquai. The sound has been farther diluted with the absence of the cutting and scratching of DJ D-Zire. The point is, none of the music sounds like Jamiroquai. It just sounds more like a bunch of session musicians and not even a band that has any sort of chemistry. The FUNK has been lost and this album truly seals that notion.

This really is just Jay's album and it should have been labelled so. Sure, you can argue that Jay IS Jamiroquai and that his sound has changed into a new direction. However, you can't provide fans with something they end up loving you for and then take it away from them. Once you create an identity and a distinct style and everyone is hooked on the magic you deliver, it becomes your responsibility to stay true to original elements. When you do something else, it becomes exactly that.. something else.

Jamiroquai is about funky bass lines, cartoony 70s synths, groovy rhythms, cutting edge horn sections, melodic strings, jazzy chords, the lack of computers, Jay's pure, raw, lush voice, and of course having a good time. Some of this is still sort of present in RDLS, but it is obviously and undeniably forced. Now we have an onslaught of songs that are pretty much Jay feeling sorry for himself. He apparently isn't over his relationship issues from how many years ago now? And if that is the case, that isn't content that makes a great album. Sure you can throw in a sad song in the mix to add nice variation, but when more than half the album has melancholy echoes, it's really just a downer.

Guys, I still feel helplessly captivated, mesmerized, and hypnotized whenever I hear Mr. Moon. That sort of mystery and magic is beyond far from present in this over produced, thin, and underwhelming effort. Now instead, we're given tracks like Hurtin', where I laughed my ass off when I first heard it. It sounds like Jay is forcefully, with all his might, trying to sound like cracked out heavy smoker just oozing self-pity.

IT'S PATHETIC.

There's no funk, there's no jazz, there's no groove. This is soft rock. It's pop and ballad material. It's not all horribly bad. White Knuckle Ride is probably the only song that retains some Jamiroquai. But it gets old fast and doesn't have the legs to stand the test of time. All Good In the Hood just stays on the same damn chord then changes around for unoriginal melodies, and the chorus is so offsetting and forced I can't help but cringe. The fact that it relies so heavily on effects and computers to make it sound good pisses me off. There's no grease and chemistry or dirt that the older efforts had.

Blue Skies... ehh, let's just say it's one of those songs that'll make you carsick. I almost feel like I'm listening to country at times listening to this album. That feeling goes the same for Lifeline.

Persuader is definitely the best song on this album. It's mainly because of the chords, which are a trademark of Jamiroquai, experimental chords which provide a gateway to even more interesting melodies. But the song's structure is still weak and lacks the harmonic variety we're used to. Two Completely Different Things is also just a decent effort. It has nice rhythms but still lacking variety and the melodies and overall feel is just mellow and weak. The rest of the album is a confused idiot not knowing whether it's reggae or rock and obviously forgetting it's funky/jazzy/groovy/disco roots.

For the first three albums, Jamiroquai reached PERFECTION. The 2 afterward (Synkronized and AFO) were great. That's a downgrade but still in a positive sense as I'm still calling them "Great". But great is no perfect. Dynamite was just OK or Good, as it still had keepers like Talullah or Time Won't Wait. Rock Dust Light Star is not even OK, it's forgettable.

Even with the departure of Zender, we still had great tunes like Canned Heat, Falling, Destitute Illusions, Love Foolosophy, and even Runaway and Radio! What happened? Even the more off-Jamiroquai orchestral stuff was awesome (Picture of My Life, Corner of the Earth, etc.). Once Toby left, it really wasn't Jamiroquai anymore.

I'm afraid classics like Alright, Virtual Insanity, Too Young To Die, When You Gonna Learn, Space Cowboy, Mr Moon, Morning Glory, Cosmic Girl, Travelling Without Moving, and High Times were Jamiroquai at their absolute peak and we've far gone below anything ever done. If you compare RDLS to any of those classics, you are a complete jackass moron who doesn't know anything about music or life for that matter and you're just a tool, a robot who will accept anything that's given to them and will like whatever they're told to like and you probably listen to Lady Gagarbage and Drake/Lil' Wayne horse shit.

To everyone else, sorry about the tone of the last paragraph, it's something I've had to get off my chest. Please excuse me.

I still listen to Jamiroquai every day. It's part of my life and I still love love love Jamiroquai. It fuels me with inspiration and in my own music writing. Like I said, Jamiroquai is the last great thing to happen to music. For the new album to be a mega disappointment, leaves a scary void in the world of popular music as terrible music is winning and people are becoming more mindless than ever.

I hope I've been clear and fair. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'd like to mention I'm very grateful that this forum, this community exists. Without it, I would never be able to articulate my thoughts to a group of individuals who actually care about what I have to say, whether it's negative or positive.

Lastly, I still have hope in Jamiroquai. Maybe they just needed to get a shitty album out so that their next effort is lovely. Whether they do it by Jay swallowing his pride and calling up Stu and perhaps getting the old line up back, or if it's the current band realizing what the hell they're doing and getting a hold of themselves and giving us real Jamiroquai music.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go look for that cheeba cheeba kinda space cowboy vibe! Very Happy

fUnK[iLo]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 20:00    Reply with quote

Hi Funk Fiction! Smile
I would like to give my opinion from a different point of view (I don't think like you but I respect what you think)..

I've never thought the "real" Jamiroquai was the old Jamiroquai (not your words, but I think is what you wanted to say), maybe because I became a fan during the AFO era, so by that time I had a variety of albums to listen to and the opinion I had of Jamiroquai was that it was one of the most versatile and talented bands I've ever heard. I still think that way. And I love that! I love how each album has a particular sound (although Jamiroquai essence is in all of them) and I love how they keep surprising me every time a new album is released, I will never get bored of the band!
Of course I love the didgeridoo, Dj Dzire's work (as well as the former bandmember's work) but I also love the current Jamiroquai! I'm sorry but I find it unfair the fact that you said it's pathetic Confused
We also must not forget that the band playing live is AMAZING!

I really know this little Corner of the Earth it smiles at me...

hookedup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 04:39    Reply with quote

Heres some more random thoughts on everything.

I can't really name a single track from the first three that I dislike. Also, I couldnt agree more when you mentioned cringing during some of the rdls songs. Blue skies, hurtin, and never gonna be another sound like they couldve been written in 20 mins max.

Jay has no responsibility to deliver the same sound from the 90's. Its his band and his music. He can and will do whatever he feels like. I wonder if they purposely tried to make some tracks that were more pop/rock sounding in order to appeal to a more mainstream audience? I pray that someday in the future Jay wakes up and really puts something together for the true fanbase that really adored his music when he first broke onto the scene. At least throw us a bone with some of the unreleased songs!!!!

I hear everyone talk about how Zender was such a big loss and that was kind of a turning point for the Jamiroquai sound. How truly influential was he in terms of song writing? The biggest departure may have been Toby. Also, I dont think it was a bad idea to phase out the didg'. While I really enjoy its appearances, it mightve become somewhat cheesy or abused later on.

I wonder what Universal thinks of the new album

Finally, am I the only one who really doesnt care for the backup singers?
I mean they are very talented, but I just dont like the idea of Jamiroquai having backup singers. Back in the day, it was just a bunch of cool dudes vibing out. Now, it just feels kinda lame with them there. They almost even drown out some of the instruments in some songs on tour this past summer.

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 05:01    Reply with quote

You know, I watched some videos of them playing some RDLS stuff live (at least Persuader), and it sounds so much better than the studio version. Jay and the band are just magical live, there's no denying that.

The whole "old jamiroquai is the real jamiroquai" thing isn't true. Like I mentioned, since Zender left, it was still really great music, just not the same or as strong perhaps. I strongly feel Toby leaving was the nail in the coffin for "real" jamiroquai, though. He was the main secret weapon behind their sound and their songwriting. I don't understand why he's producing a pop/rock band now, but whatever makes him happy. I love that guy!

Yes, all the albums have their own sound, that's a good thing in the sense of variety, but it's too dangerous when you're radically deviating from your fundamentals.

By the way, the only thing I referred to as "pathetic" was the song, Hurtin'. Nothing else.

As for having no responsibility to deliver their 90s sound, that's a very well said statement hookedup. What was so awesome about their 90s sound was that it was really original and fresh. And that's what we really want and always expect from Jamiroquai... original and fresh. There's nothing very original or fresh about RDLS to me. It feels like forced recycling of some old methods combined with generic pop song formulas that have existed for decades.

Give us SYMPHONIZED! I've listened to those 14 godly seconds of Midnight Funk countless times without getting tired of it.

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 05:04    Reply with quote

I agree that this album isn't very funky. It has more rock & reggae influence than anything else. For me, RDLS did not have enough KEYBOARD, the quintessential element of Jamiroquai. I hope the next album is packed with funk or at least the album after that (The next album might be more of the same, since it'll have tracks that were recorded together with RDLS)

On an unrelated note... I'm pretty sure most fans would really like to hear a studio recorded version of Shoot The Moon. It has a really nice Jamiroquai groove.

So, band members... if you're reading this, you should really do something about that. Please. Wink

hookedup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 05:29    Reply with quote

You're right funk fiction. Recycled is good way of describing it. The definition of this is that "Super Highway" song on the making of video. Sounded just like it couldve easily been on dynamite. I hope it isnt a glimpse of the future.

hookedup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 05:36    Reply with quote

Another great point about the 90's albums being fresh and original. The new album lacks this although I'll give them a lot of credit for fast persuader and hey floyd. (Love two completely different things. I wish there was a longer version though for some solos and such kinda like the stillness in time vinyl version)

After watching all the footage of past concerts on youtube, it seems like theres a lot less real jamming now. Back in the day, there was a greater focus on the musicians and solos in my opinion.

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 06:21    Reply with quote

Another example of Jamiroquai being great live even POST-Toby/Stu departure is the Montreux 2003 concert. Such great performances, especially by Jay Kay and even Matt Johnson. But that's the AFO era, where they were still great.

Alas, that concert doesn't even come close to the Phoenix concert of 1997. Oh my god Zender slapping that bass, McKenzie pumping those drums and Jay dancing his ass away and even jumping off stage like a maniac during Mr Moon. That's Jamiroquai bliss.

JamiroMystery???

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56    Reply with quote

RDLS wasn't that bad. It wasn't a good album, but it wasn't bad.

I wish wish every song was like SAFP and TCDT and possibly SAM.

I skipped almost every song, that's very dissapointing for a jamiroquai album.

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 13:06    Reply with quote

FunkyVibes wrote:
I the quintessential element of Jamiroquai....

I may disagree...

-Drums /Bassline
-Jay´s personality and lyrics

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 17:53    Reply with quote

Sandriche wrote:
FunkyVibes wrote:
I the quintessential element of Jamiroquai....

I may disagree...

-Drums /Bassline
-Jay´s personality and lyrics

Well, the drums haven't been doing much for a while now. But yeah, I should have used 'a' instead of 'the'. Wink

Drums/Bass/Keys are what make a good Jamiroquai song, but the keys were lacking on a lot of the RDLS tracks, unfortunately.

Listen to Synkronized though. That album has a whole lot of keyboard going on.

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 23:58    Reply with quote

I disagree. In fact, I have to admit I disagree a lot with some of the comments above Surprised.

About the keyboards:
I think Matt's contribution to this album is very good, tracks like fast persuader or never gonna be another or the solo in hey floyd are the proof.

About the recent live performances:
I think the band is in perfect shape, concerts like the one at Paleo festival or the Paradiso are way better than 2005/2006 performances. The return of the brass section and some new arrangements were a big improvement. I think that the paradiso concert or the one at the jazz cafe are the best performances since the midnight sun tour ones.

...and about some strictly music criticism I read above, such as THE structure of the songs, melody, chords, the writing, jay's singing, etc, I think sometimes it can be just a matter of taste. Some people like simple music, others like 15 minute complex jams.
The new album may be a little poor (just a little) when it comes to "jamming" or freestyling, you know, solos and stuff (except for the guitar solo in rock dust, the final part of she's a fast persuader, the sax solo in smoke and mirrors or the keys in hey floyd, that's why I wrote "just a little poor") and maybe some tracks seem to end very quickly, but I don't think that makes the songs worst or better.
Quote:
All Good In the Hood just stays on the same damn chord then changes around for unoriginal melodies, and the chorus is so offsetting and forced I can't help but cringe.

The chorus being "offsetting" is one of the things that make All Good In The Hood interesting... at least that's what I think. And what do you mean with "staying on the same (damn) chord"? I'm not a pro musician, so maybe you can explain it to me, if you want to Smile .

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 00:11    Reply with quote

Gonza-Arg wrote:
And what do you mean with "staying on the same (damn) chord"? I'm not a pro musician, so maybe you can explain it to me, if you want to Smile .

Ah, I can see how I didn't communicate that well as lots of great songs stay on one chord for a long time (i.e. Travelling Without Moving). I was trying express how I don't like the simple 1, 2, 3, 4 with the kick drum and bass line in unison like it's trying to be edgy or techno/house ish or like daft punk (except daft punk can pull it off)... you know, the DUH DUH DUH DUH. It's just the type of musical material anyone that doesn't even know music can come up with. Again, nothing impressive about it. All the Jamiroquai material usually has stuff that I look up to and impresses me. Not this.

You're definitely right about the whole "taste" thing. This is all subjective personal preference.

Oh and as far as the whole keyboards thing and Synkronized. Destitute Illusions and Falling are examples of keyboard dominance. Especially Destitute Illusions... THAT'S TOBY'S SONG! Very Happy It's all pretty much Toby and Derrick driving that badass instrumental. In fact, that's one of my favorite JAMIROQUAI songs and it doesn't involve Jay (except for "you may think you're in heaven") or Stu or the rest of the band. It's just Derrick's awesome drumming and Toby's unbelievably tasteful keyboard playing the bass and lead synths with his moogs and the rhodes and his production skills are so unique and captivating. The scratching in that track might still have been done by DJ Dzire which is a great additional touch.. Ye-Yeah! YEAH!

Vincenzo89

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 01:23    Reply with quote

FunkyVibes is right we miss the Keyboard...but i'm sure isn't Matt fault he is a great keyboarder...

hookedup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 06:27    Reply with quote

The band looked badass tonight on that comedy show durnig all good in the hood. Was there something different about the keys during this performance or are they just more prominently heard?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: