jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

July 16, 2011 - Gurten Music Festival - Bern, Switzerland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> *Rock Dust Light Star* - The Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 17:04    Reply with quote

That's awesome the whole concert's up!! I really really wish the festival would make a DVD, or even their own bootleg video (with some editing) of the concert. Actually of the other artists, too. The Script, Jamie Cullum, Kaiser Chiefs, and Jamiroquai... kinda like Montreux 2003.. but then they'd have to do that for every concert I guess? Haha, I know maybe it's too much to ask.

Still, it's awesome the entire thing is on youtube. I'll be nitpicky and say the audio is out of sync!! haha. Good work to Jamirofan2011 for going through the trouble!

Well I guess I don't need to thoroughly review how every song was as you can see the concert now, but I'll write my personal experience! Very Happy

So, as soon as the artist right before Jamiroquai finished (Kaiser Chiefs), my friend and I ran to the very most front you could possibly watch the concert from and secured our positions there and waited patiently for the next 90 minutes for Jamiroquai to start. Within 5 or 10 minutes of us snagging that spot, the whole area had flooded with more fans! Got it just in time. I came all the way to Switzerland to watch Jamiroquai, I better be at the frontmost spot! Cool

It was exciting enough just to see the sound crew setting up the band's gear. Watching Derrick's drumset with all the Jamiroquai logos on it and Matt's keyboards (his Alesis A6, Nord Wave, Rhodes) and Sola's suite of percussion instruments. Sola even came out a couple times before they started and I couldn't help myself but yell out "SOLAA!!" the way Jay Kay would in the 97 TWM era during his solos.

The band finally came out except for Jay and started the intro of Rock Dust Light Star and then Jay came out. That moment of seeing Jay walk out and realizing he's only about 20 feet (or 7 meters) away from me was surreal. The next 90 minutes would turn out to be one of the most magical and happy-filled moments of my life. It may be ironic, but after that performance of RDLS... I actually started to like the song! Surprised

You could hear the lyrics, first of all, much more clearly on top of the live mixing of all the instruments. Everything was so clear! Something about being right in front there, experiencing your favorite band of all time coming out and performing as awesome as they always do live, with pumping, clear sound, made me genuinely enjoy songs I previous didn't care too much about. The performance was just pure class and they lyrics resonated a lot with my own perspectives. It was a Jamiroquai perspective changing moment for the better, if I can encapsulate it all.

I decided to turn my camera off 90 seconds into RDLS and just enjoy the concert in the moment without having to be distracted by camera work. I wanted to internalize the experience, which I'm so glad I did.

Onto Main Vein, Cosmic Girl, etc... Again, the thing about Jamiroquai songs.. You have these concrete/solid studio versions which we all know the songs by, but in the case of Live performances they get re-arranged, changed, varied, mixed/remixed, whatever!! Whole new sections of songs that never existed get introduced, later sections come in first, earlier sections may come in later... but no matter what, you recognize the song!! It just shows how strong the songwriting from Jay and the band (and the old band) are!

I loved the renditions of Main Vein and Little L. 33 seconds into the Little L video on Youtube, you'll see an example of what I mean. Paul Turner kicking it off a brand new bass line and Matt accompanying in with some smooth chords, mmm.. I remember pretty much every song having some type of remixed/rearranged/new/varied part and it made every song completely new!! It's so awesome that many of these songs being over 10 years old can still be spiced up to sound entirely new! Something I really appreciate. Right after Little L, the transition into Canned Heat and how Canned Heat pretty much sounds... It's like an entirely new song!! I think you get the point, haha.

I have to point something out. After Cosmic Girl finished, they stopped for a minute while the crowd was cheering. During that pause, I yelled out to Jay, "WE LOVE YOU JAY!!!!". He ACTUALLY responded and spoke back, "I love you too." I was going nuts. It's on the video, but it's nearly impossible to hear me through the crowd. But him saying "I love you too" was a response to my shout which basically made me giddy like a schoolgirl. LOL

Throughout the concert, I was pretty much singing along with every single song and I think a bit past halfway through I was losing my voice... I don't know HOW Jay, or other singers for that matter, can manage to sing 1-2 hours and stay consistent! I still sang along even with my fading voice. Very Happy

I could swear to you, there were several instances where Jay was looking RIGHT AT ME and we were both singing along. Those were the most magical instances of the show for me. I know it sounds maybe far-fetched but like I said, I could swear it. I think he could tell I was a big fan by singing everything with a huge smile. Ahhhhh, I want to be Jay's friend (don't we all). Very Happy

Seems like the videos stop at the end of Canned Heat. But it goes into a killer performance of All Good In The Hood. I really enjoyed that RDLS track performed live, too. I'm sure the album would sound much better performed live (even though not as great as older albums), but for whatever reason, it hasn't translated perfectly well in the studio. There's also an interlude of Scam soon somewhere after AGITH which was a nice surprise.

But there really was no love for ROTSC or EOPE. It would have been nice, but I was still thoroughly pleased with the whole concert.

The most surreal moment was when Jay hopped off the stage during TWM and came to shake everyone in the front row's hand. Yes.. I shook Jay's hand... !!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The moment he came to shook my hand I was speechless and just had a big smile on. He was smiling back at me too, and his smile was so genuine and child-like.. it was one of the most genuine 2 seconds I've ever had. I simply cannot believe Jay and I shook hands and smiled at each other. It's hard to write words describing how it makes me feel. But I'm sure you can imagine.

His handshake is also very firm if I may add!! 2tilt

Ahhhh, what else to say. I know this is a lengthy post! I'm kind of just writing whatever comes into my head in somewhat of an unorganized manner. I remember the entire time feeling purely happy. Nothing bothered me. It was as if the duration of the entire show was a stillness in time for me. I wish I could stay in that stillness forever, my life would really benefit from it. I was more "in the moment" / "in the now" during that concert than I normally ever am. Jamiroquai music tends to do that, anyway.. even if I'm in the car. But of course, this is live with the band right there in front of you.

I should mention I really welcome the return of the horns. Also, Paul Turner kicks ass. He's a worthy Stu replacement I have to say. If I had to still choose, of course I'd want Stu back and feel like only he can bring the original, authentic Jamiroquai sound... but that aside, Paul is an amazing bassist and can even do some things that Stu may not. The tightness and smoothness of Paul's playing is so perfect. The extra notes he chooses here and there are so tasteful, I really dig it. Rob sounds much more tamed and smooth, too. He's a fantastic guitarist. I like how the entire band, even since the beginning, has been about filling in the emptiness rather than trying to overplay or outplay each other and see who's louder or sounds better. Jamiroquai is always about the whole band blending into each other (even Jay and his voice are an instrument that blends with the rest of Jamiroquai). Matt, Sola, the singers, Derrick... they all performed so wonderfully.

Despite some things I could really be nitpicky about, it was a magnificent show, nevertheless!! I'll mention them for fun as it doesn't affect the lovely experience I had. I wish the encore performance was Space Cowboy and not WKR. To have seen SC live would have been the ultimate finisher, but WKR was really well done. Even though all of the songs were killer performances, I would have replaced some of the "not as amazing" JMQ songs with "more amazing" ones, haha. Wink (i.e. FJLIS we could have done without and perhaps WKR too, replacing them with a song from EOPE and also Space Cowboy).

I have some pictures and a video of the very beginning of the concert I shot myself below. Nothing special as there are better photos and videos to be found on the internet. But you can see there are only photographers and no audience members in front of me to see what the closest distance was. I really need to do that again. Hopefully they perform in Montreux Jazz Festival next year as I would LOVE an excuse to return to Switzerland: an expensive as hell country that happens to be one of the most beautiful, peaceful, utopian-like, ideal countries I've ever been to.

I love Jamiroquai. invasion buffaloman alright

Intro Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxf-2AtePBc

Photos: http://rensound.com/image/jmq/

Tiffinypie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 19:11    Reply with quote

Lovely gig review Mr Fiction! It felt like I was there (in spirit) Seems like you had a great time Smile

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 19:26    Reply with quote

Great review!! Good for you Jamilybro! You are a lucky one!
With your comments I revived the feelings and sensations of my first time living the experience of Jamiroquai performance this year...
Peace and hope that someday a lot of us could live the montreux experience with Jamiroquai stoned

Lady Cougar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22    Reply with quote

Hi Funk Fiction,glad you enjoyed the amazing gig.As i said previously,i was working at Montreux Jazz Festival,helping organizing over 4000 people see Deep Purple (amazing also,complete with Symphonique Orchestra).The next day we had a party for all the staff and Claude Nobs addressed us and asked what we would like next year. I was in just next to him and pleaded to invite Jamiroquai again. They do take note.Keeping fingers crossed.What is interesting is the workshops with musiciens that are organised (imagine with Rob,Derrick etc ! Hope to work again next year. see you there ?
the only problem this year was on the last 2 nights a load of senseless ,drunken yobbs did alot of damage at around 3 am.What to do about this,any suggestions welcome. love and peaceful gigs,Pippa. love2

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 04:06    Reply with quote

Wow Funk Fiction, glad you really enjoyed the show!

Lady Cougar wrote:
Quote:
the only problem this year was on the last 2 nights a load of senseless ,drunken yobbs did alot of damage at around 3 am.What to do about this,any suggestions

pass out the purple kool-aid @ midnight Laughing

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 19:21    Reply with quote

Thanks Tiff! :D

Poderfunk, i appreciate the kind words. Yes I feel very lucky to have been able to experience that!! I'm glad my words resonated with your experiences too. =]

Ahh, Lady Cougar. Since the moment the concert finished, I've been constantly wishing for them to perform at Montreux next year! Please oh please I hope Jamiroquai is performing at the Montreux Jazz Festival 2012! It would be awesome for a lot of us to experience that together. I absolutely need another excuse to go back to the lovely country of Switzerland!

Thanks HoneyBee.. and LOL!!

I did hear about the senseless drunk activity by the end of the festival. Hopefully it never happens again. Maybe we should create a petition to have Jamiroquai perform at next year's Montreux?

Lady Cougar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:43    Reply with quote

I did hear about the senseless drunk activity by the end of the festival. Hopefully it never happens again. Maybe we should create a petition to have Jamiroquai perform at next year's Montreux?
Hi again,on this subject,I am with you.Ill see what i can do. Meanwhile,a member of my Italian family managed to get me a ticket for Monza in Sept. Is any one going.I love racing aswell,but don't know how I'm getting there yet. (in my Ferrari!) stoned

Greg House

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 14:25    Reply with quote

I just uploaded two pro-shoot videos from the gig:

Deeper Underground -->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxXQSF0F1LE

White Knuckle Ride-->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jIZlftsfuM

JamiroquainPt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 16:43    Reply with quote

Greg

Any full gig video?
Thanks for this 2!

/Tiago

Greg House

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 17:05    Reply with quote

@JamiroquainPt

I found (accidentally) only these two songs.

russky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 15:25    Reply with quote

3cowboy - "have a great summer & don't get a hernia Wink " Laughing

that was priceless Exclamation

Earni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 17:37    Reply with quote

The swiss tv station "SF zwei" will broadcast the concert on Friday, the 13th April at 01:30.

A link to the website (only german): http://www.tvprogramm.sf.tv/details/fbfca902-a933-40d8-a995-d2652de41b40

Javis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 18:47    Reply with quote

Earni wrote:
The swiss tv station "SF zwei" will broadcast the concert on Friday, the 13th April at 01:30.

A link to the website (only german): http://www.tvprogramm.sf.tv/details/fbfca902-a933-40d8-a995-d2652de41b40

Somebody should record this concert. I saw some clips of the proshot and the quality is awesome.

Lady Cougar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 19:27    Reply with quote

Hi folks, regarding thé concert Gurten Festival ,I Will be recording it, but Only on a cassette as our DVD Is caput. (remember vidéo cassettes ,they Still existe ! 2wave 2wave ) .Will this help anyone ? Lové Pippa

Cosmic Girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 19:41    Reply with quote

I will watch it but I dont have a DVD recorder Sad Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> *Rock Dust Light Star* - The Tour All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: