jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

New Album "Automaton" Coming on 31 March 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:26    Reply with quote

I think its good that it's different and not another attempt at being the old band. It's time for a new approach and a new sound. It's still got a mad funky bass line in the chorus and some funky guitar, so it's not all electro.

JK's voice is certainly a lot huskier and he'll never regain that clarity of delivery that he had on albums 1 - 3, so this music suits his new approach.

Makes you realise just how bad "Blue Skies" was a lead single (and song).

funkin
JIP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:15    Reply with quote

For info, according to HMV.co.jp 'Nice and Spicy' will be the bonus track on the Japanese release. Release date is 31 March.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/newsdetail/article/1701271022/

Zsoma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 13:01    Reply with quote

eviltimeban wrote:

And makes you realize how great certain tracks are even on RDLS, I don't know whose idea it was to use these crappy Transformers effects in the track and the rap interlude but I wish the whole track was built around the chorus theme, they got rid of the computer talk and the excessive, unnecessary layers. Yes, I understand what's the purpose of the dark verse theme to symbolize the actual age but for me that part completely kills the mood - and now I go back to AFO to listen to some flawless electro-disco-funk.

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 13:03    Reply with quote

eviltimeban wrote:

That's right! I forgot! Blue Skies was the lead single, not WKR. Man, what a terrible choice.

Freddie Hg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 16:22    Reply with quote

OK, I've been listening to it quite a bit last night and today. A few thoughts:

The good:
I really dig the chorus. Not quite so "sing-able" as other singles, but it really sticks in your head. The chord progression sounds to my ear exactly like Alright. Which I don't mind, Alright is one of my favorites. Also dig that short little bridge with the guitar, really wish they'd developed that section a bit more. My guess is, this is another one of those "it's gotta be 4-5 minutes for radio play" deals and they couldn't do more with it. The dancing at that part in the music video is by far the best part for me. And the end of the song really delivers for me... I've been saying for a while, Jamiroquai really knows how to end a tune! I think about Lifeline... the song kinda starts off in the middle, feels very forced, but by the end things are really rolling and clicking.

The OK:
The verse really bothered when I first heard it, but it's grown on me a bit. Definitely going with that harder-edged sound that JK has been exploring since at least 2005 (see FJLIS, Hurtin...). I actually think the verse is fine except for the fact that on first few listens it felt very disconnected from the chorus, particularly getting into the verse from the intro (the verse to chorus transition works better). Almost like two totally different songs. Wasn't terribly keen on the "rap" section (if you can really call it that), but that is bothering me less now, too.

The bad:
The production continues to bother me a bit. This track is very much in line with the trend of de-centralizing Jay's vocal, it's so hard to hear! He's still got a strong voice, you can tell by listening to recent live recordings. I think it should be more prominent. And all the random sound effects / voice modulations, it's a bit too much. Kinda reminds me of Black Devil Car. Long-time fans may remember we got a 30 second clip of BDC months before Dynamite was released, and it sounded totally different at the time (much better, I thought... really cool chords, instrumentation was mainly vibes). By the time the album came out the production was out of control.

Same thing here, I think... underneath all the effects I think there's a pretty cool song. But it's getting covered up with producer tricks. And I'm confused with the direction. After Dynamite it seemed like they said, "ok, we went a bit too far with the computers". Then came RDLS which felt a little under-cooked (and the vocals were way too quiet!). I've been hoping Automaton will, on the whole, split the difference. Maybe it will, and this track is sort of a one-off (much the way FJLIS was pretty different from the rest of Dynamite).

Anyway I'm not terribly dismayed. I really wasn't a fan of FJLIS when it came out, by Dynamite had some solid tracks. I thought Blue Skies was pretty lame, and WKR felt like a really good imitation of a Jamiroquai song but without any substance. Still, RDLS had some decent tunes. I'm sure there will be SOMETHING on this album to like. Would rather those good tracks be ON THE ALBUM rather than b-sides / deluxe additions / Japanese only tracks. But we'll have to see about that I guess. Anyway, the track is growing on me.

I'm one of the old ones around here, and I like the old stuff the best. I know this is an endless debate. But let me just say, I think if they put out a legit disco tune as a single it could be big, like really big. Daft Punk, Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars... they've all had major hits in the US with a retro sound. And no one does that sound better than Jamiroquai.

Jamirowolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 16:45    Reply with quote

Freddie Hg wrote:
I think if they put out a legit disco tune as a single it could be big, like really big. Daft Punk, Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars... they've all had major hits in the US with a retro sound. And no one does that sound better than Jamiroquai.

Automaton sounds as Disco as I am French, it has like 3 seconds of Disco/Funk at most...

mr.az

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 17:18    Reply with quote

Freddie Hg wrote:
OK, I've been listening to it quite a bit last night and today. A few thoughts:

The bad:
The production continues to bother me a bit. This track is very much in line with the trend of de-centralizing Jay's vocal, it's so hard to hear! He's still got a strong voice, you can tell by listening to recent live recordings. I think it should be more prominent. And all the random sound effects / voice modulations, it's a bit too much. Kinda reminds me of Black Devil Car. Long-time fans may remember we got a 30 second clip of BDC months before Dynamite was released, and it sounded totally different at the time (much better, I thought... really cool chords, instrumentation was mainly vibes). By the time the album came out the production was out of control.

And no one does that sound better than Jamiroquai.

Yesss, BDC is a good reminder of this sound, very catchy and hard to hear in some parts.

I wish we can listen the demo Very Happy and live will be even better Cool
AFO=AUTOMATON

wounded buffalo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 17:49    Reply with quote

eviltimeban wrote:
I think its good that it's different and not another attempt at being the old band. It's time for a new approach and a new sound. It's still got a mad funky bass line in the chorus and some funky guitar, so it's not all electro.

JK's voice is certainly a lot huskier and he'll never regain that clarity of delivery that he had on albums 1 - 3, so this music suits his new approach.

I completely agree. They need to evolve and not repeat the same stuff over and over. And compared to Blue Skies and FJLIS this is a much better lead single.

The range of reactions from people here is interesting. I think to like it you need to be a bit open minded and not be expecting an EOPE-type song. Also I think the song improves with every listen. I've been listening all day and I'm completely hooked, it's fast becoming one of my fav Jami tunes. I'd love to hear an extended version, with some more vocal ad-lib over the chorus at the end which J is so good at.

mr.az

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 18:15    Reply with quote

I like the fact many fans are confused, yes like FJLIS and Supersonic weren't jamiroquai songs Laughing Laughing Laughing

Even canned heat, for today, sounds great and weird at the same time, and i love it Cool
AFO=AUTOMATON

SkillipEvolver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 19:35    Reply with quote

Jamirowolf wrote:
Freddie Hg wrote:
I think if they put out a legit disco tune as a single it could be big, like really big. Daft Punk, Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars... they've all had major hits in the US with a retro sound. And no one does that sound better than Jamiroquai.

Automaton sounds as Disco as I am French, it has like 3 seconds of Disco/Funk at most...

I think you might have misread what he wrote.

I believe he's saying: *if there is a disco'esque track on the album*, they should put it forward as a single.

www.youtube.com/SkillipEvolver
Www.soundcloud.com/SkillipEvolver

Sharpy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 20:22    Reply with quote

Improved the accuracy of the topic title. Loving the new sound of Automaton, it still has that Jamiroquai feel to it. The video is currently number 6 trending on Youtube.

Jamirowolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 20:39    Reply with quote

SkillipEvolver wrote:
Jamirowolf wrote:
Freddie Hg wrote:

I think you might have misread what he wrote.

I believe he's saying: *if there is a disco'esque track on the album*, they should put it forward as a single.

You are right, I misread that!!!

I actually agree with Freddie, IF they release a disco/funk song(s), the album will be redeemed from the direction it seems to have taken...(in my humble and very narrow-minded perspective)

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 20:48    Reply with quote

Freddie wrote:
Quote:
But let me just say, I think if they put out a legit disco tune as a single it could be big, like really big. Daft Punk, Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars... they've all had major hits in the US with a retro sound. And no one does that sound better than Jamiroquai.

Yes! we want the Disco (&Funk)
but there has to be a balance to the whole album. I don't think the entire album will be this style.

I also agree the end of Jami songs are great, and sometimes the beginning is misleading.

so, the digital album is available on Amazon and iTunes, as well as the individual songs. Where can we preorder the CD or vinyl?

funkyleah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 21:05    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Freddie wrote:
Quote:
But let me just say, I think if they put out a legit disco tune as a single it could be big, like really big. Daft Punk, Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars... they've all had major hits in the US with a retro sound. And no one does that sound better than Jamiroquai.

Yes! we want the Disco (&Funk)
but there has to be a balance to the whole album. I don't think the entire album will be this style.

I also agree the end of Jami songs are great, and sometimes the beginning is misleading.

so, the digital album is available on Amazon and iTunes, as well as the individual songs. Where can we preorder the CD or vinyl?

https://store.jamiroquai.com/ good I preordered the Standard CD, but you can also get the Mintpack CD or the Double Gatefold Vinyl! There was also a limited edition signed edition but sadly that sold out. Sad There's also 2 CD bundles with a jumper or t-shirt. I was gonna go for one of those but I'm broke lol

Akghar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 07:56    Reply with quote

So...

Like the AFO vibes at the start, but the 80s chorus is a bit cheesy.
What a break, really too short. Absolutely love the CHIC vibe. More than a vibe, a rip-off maybe ? Wink
How sad the the best part of the song is this short break.
And most importantly : where's the bass ?

Anyway, got a question, the most important question : How will this song be played live ? I have a hard time imagining a great live rendition of this song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 60 of 61

Jump to: